Does anyone here know if UMA will be on any of the new models (Bold, ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3

UMA possible on new models?

Does anyone here know if UMA will be on any of the new models (Bold, Javelin, Storm, Pearl Flip)? I was excited for the Bold but seeing that these devices are tied to the carriers, it looks like if T-Mobile USA doesn't get it, I can't use a grey-market unit to its full potential (not to mention my present Curve 8320 has UMA which can be invaluable when abroad). 3G on T-Mobile USA won't have serious coverage until probably 2009 at the earliest. I noticed that the Javelin is supposed to have GPS & Wi-Fi but no 3G. I wonder if T-Mobile USA will be getting this unit after they get the Pearl Flip.

Is UMA a hardware ability or software? It would suck to have a unit that has WiFi but no VoIP capabilities at all (which is what a UMA-less Wi-Fi BB essentially would be).

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    T-Mobile USA is probably going to get the Javelin, and UMA will probably be supported.

As far as I know, UMA is a software capability, but current evidence seems to indicate that UMA is tied to specific vendor IDs for providers that support UMA. There was a thread a while ago where we (on Pinstack) tried to get UMA enabled on an imported Pearl 8120 from Hong Kong that was being used on the T-Mobile USA, but there was no success.

Maybe in the future, it will be possible to create an unofficial UMA OS module without vendorID restrictions (assuming vendor ID is what is being used to determine availability). I don't know how happy RIM would be about that though.

NeoLogic no está en línea Stack level 2
    UMA stands for Unlicensed Mobile Access. It's basically a naming convention like WINS or UNC which are NetBIOS naming formats. In fact, it is basically a subset of UNC, which stands for Universal Naming Convention.

So for all this to work, you need an infrastructure. This infrastructure needs UMA terminals, a UMA network controller, and implemented protocols on the cellular network that the terminals (cell phones) connect to.

I could dive in to greater detail of each one of those three items, but in a nutshell, the UMA terminal is a cell phone on either a GSM or GPRS network, and it needs to have wifi. The UMA network controller sits on the backend of the Mobile Network, and talks directly to the BSC, or Base Station Controller. Those are simply the servers that the cell towers talk to. THe UMA Network Controller itself is a server. The protocols are just that. They are there to provide security, routing of incoming and outgoing calls, authentication and all the wonderful things protocols provide.

So to answer your question, UMA is hardware and software. It resides on the backend and frontend of a cell network. The carrier HAS to allow the UMA terminal (Cell Phone) access to the network. So just because a cell phone has wifi, doesn't mean it's capable of UMA. People take UMA for granted, but a lot of things happen in the background in order for it to work.