Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If you've ever dealt w/ Apple, you'd know they spout the co. line in support, ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

jamkam no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: UMA call dropping and poor audio quality

Advertisement

If you've ever dealt w/ Apple, you'd know they spout the co. line in support, that is, "we only support Apple branded products. We suggest you contact T-Mobile or RIM."

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Quote Originally Posted by kicks2606
    You don't need the t-mobile linksys router in order to make calls, it's all just marketing, you can do it with any wireless router
    actually the routers t-mobile sell just help with battery life, and voice priority, as well as ease of connecting. plus t-mobile won't troubleshoot any issues unless it's there on. but to be honest there really isn't a difference to the two routers, we carry the two of them for preferences, but if there is any issues you can call customer service. i know when you are connecting to a router and having connection issues reset the device and try again, and make sure when you connect save the connection so you don't have to worry about reconnection. if you don't save that profile and you are dile at that location it will drop you hope that helps a bit

AmtrakConductor no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by jamkam
    If you've ever dealt w/ Apple, you'd know they spout the co. line in support, that is, "we only support Apple branded products. We suggest you contact T-Mobile or RIM."
    I'll have to take your word for it there, I've never dealt with Apple

Like I said though, I am using a Linksys WRT546 v.8 and UMA is flawless with it.

calvin413 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24218EA5

which implementation of securty are you using wep/wpa/wpa2 tkip/aes - I think this might be at the heart of the call dropping and hand-off issue
    a ship in a harbor is safe..... but that is not what they are built for...

PIN/ID
    24218EA5

Over the past few days I have delved deeper into the router piece of this thing, as well as the uma protocol. Apparently the level of wireless security also has an effect upon the uma call connection or wifi connection to facilitate uma.

Both Linksys and T-Mobile recommend starting with the lowest level of security, or WEP, and working upwards if call dropping is an issue. As I am using the highest level WPA2/AES, I will be lowering the security at the next sign of trouble until I achieve a more consistent level of call quality and successful handoffs.

Also, T-Mobile tech support updated my location and said they sent an "update" to my phone while troubleshooting with them today.

jamkam no está en línea Stack level 2

Was speaking to T-Mobile tech (level 3) earlier; they're going to get back to me (hopefuilly) tonite to see if my Airport Extreme (Apple) router issue can't be resolved. Anyway, he said that one of the problems is the packets and it depends a lot on the ISP and their clarity of signal. Browsing, he went on, is more forgiving than the packets required to deliver voice, altho, I have a VOiP line w/my cable provider...hmmmmm. To be cont'd.

PIN/ID

I'm using WPA on my Linksys, no problems.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

According to a tmo rep I spoke to earlier, they are soon to release an OS or some kind of patch to fix this UMA/WiFi issues.

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Quote Originally Posted by flash24
    According to a tmo rep I spoke to earlier, they are soon to release an OS or some kind of patch to fix this UMA/WiFi issues.
    hmmm I wonder what version.
    BB8900 is mine!

PIN/ID
    24218EA5

I'm posting the log from my phone call with linksys. You can read for yourself the explanation regarding wireless security:

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] Discussion Thread[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] Chat Transcript[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']10/02/2007 01:41 AM[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Hi, my name is Francis S. Jr. (10128). How may I help you?
    Calvin: I am experiencing a lot of dropped calls using uma. does it matter which encryption method i use i.e. wep/wpa2, etc?
    Francis S. Jr. (10128): Yes. But regarding with WPA, it's the nature of the encryption that will drop off your connection since every minute or hour the security key is changing. That regards to WPA.
    Francis S. Jr. (10128): Just to be sure, kindly confirm the model and the version number of your Linksys product.
    Calvin: wrt54g-tm
    Francis S. Jr. (10128): Just to be sure, Calvin. Please try first disable your wireless security on the router, then check if you're having the same problem.
    Francis S. Jr. (10128): If not, then you can just try set up WEP. Then, try again check if you're having the same problem.
    Calvin: ok - thanks!
    Francis S. Jr. (10128): Please make sure to power down your device after the changes as well as your computers just to synchronize the settings.

- Turn off or power down the Cable or DSL Modem, Linksys Router and the Computer. Wait for 3 minutes.
    - After that, power up the Cable or DSL Modem first, wait for the modem to stabilize.
    - If the Cable or DSL Modem is already stable, turn the Linksys Router On, and then lastly the computer.
    Francis S. Jr. (10128): Calvin, please log-in again to chat support if you're still having the same issue.
    Calvin: ok thanks bye
    Calvin: disconnected
    Francis S. Jr. (10128): Let me just confirm, your contact number is 215-939-, right?
    Francis S. Jr. (10128): disconnected[/FONT]
    Last edited by calvin413; 10-03-2007 at 04:07 AM.

PIN/ID

azunprinzess no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by tdawg
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~like everyonr else has said, maybe you should change the channel on the wifi router
    Has changing the channel on the router helped anyone? I don't know if it's that because it worked awesome earlier and now it sucks

PIN/ID
    24218EA5

Thumbs up Re: UMA call dropping and poor audio quality

Quote Originally Posted by azunprinzess
    Has changing the channel on the router helped anyone? I don't know if it's that because it worked awesome earlier and now it sucks
    The same wireless performance tuning practices apply, including resolving as much noise/interference as possible. Channel, Router/Antennae location, Security, are all factors in obtaining the best qualityof service.

I am a heavy user of the PC wirelessly, as well as "work-from-home", so I am using UMA better than 80% of the time, do not use a land line at all, so I am very interested in achieving consistent quality in call quality and hand-off's. I need to eliminate call dropping competely!

Since I started fine-tuning I have acquired the TMO Router for call prioritization, since I am a heavy bandwidth user. This helped significantly regarding call quality and call dropping. Eliminating noise and interference via channel selection helped some, but was not a big concern for me. Last, I have been working on security, as I can't afford to leave the router open, and would like to use at least WPA.

5 days into my monthly billing cycle and I have used about 800 minutes, 750 UMA. This is really working well for me, but I do still encounter periods of poor call quality, and my hope is that the next patch from TMO or RIM will address this.

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Well it seems its either a tmo problem or the Curve software. Every hour on the hour I lose UMA connection. And this is a open network..... I dont understand.. Only way to fix it, is to power cycle the phone or walk out of the coverage range
    Last edited by tdawg; 10-10-2007 at 11:29 PM.
    BB8900 is mine!

PIN/ID
    24218EA5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~this may be IP lease renewal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast