Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I finally got everything working. Initially I didn't buy the T-Mobile hotspot router, thinking it ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

calvin413 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24218EA5

Question UMA call dropping and poor audio quality

Advertisement

I finally got everything working.

Initially I didn't buy the T-Mobile hotspot router, thinking it was marketing, but the uma priority is necessary, and it's not really supported otherwise. I went back and got the Linksys Router and installed it as an additional Wireles Router (maybe I will cut over the rest next to eliminate the other router completely)

Anyway, my chief complaint at this point is dropped calls, and reported poor quality. People are saying the audio is dropping, and choppy. The call dropping is really annoying!

It appears that TMo has a lot of work and explaining to do, as well as maybe the next OS will have better support for uma as well.

Anybody have any good experiences or success stories?
    a ship in a harbor is safe..... but that is not what they are built for...

wongdai426 no está en línea Stack level 1
    ur problem is da linksys router. i read a report somewhere linksys sucks.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: UMA call dropping and poor audio quality

I had a belkin pre N router and I had to replace it with tmo linksys router, because everytime I make a phone with my belkin router it's always choppy. When i isntalled linksys, connection was solid and phonecalls are loud and clear.

Also, maybe something is interfering with your router, try changing the channel to either 1 or 11.

Goodluck

plaidissimo no está en línea Stack level 1

i've been using my netgear and it works pretty sweet. no complaints so far.

kicks2606 no está en línea Stack level 1

You don't need the t-mobile linksys router in order to make calls, it's all just marketing, you can do it with any wireless router

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~like everyonr else has said, maybe you should change the channel on the wifi router

jgreg no está en línea Stack level 2

I think Rim and T-Mobile still have some debugging to do with the 8320 and its BT, Wi-Fi and Cellular working well together. I am reading here and elsewhere of various issues for the new 8320. I have called T-Mobile a couple times and have been transferred to BB. Each time I got someone who new less than me, which is not much. I really want to keep this handset because if it works correctly, it has the potential of being almost the perfect smartphone. T-Mobile and Rim need to be proactive and begin communicating what fixes are in store. If not the 8320 goes back and I re-deploy my Pearl.

PIN/ID
    24218EA5

I had tried alot with the NetGear WGT624 V3 Router, including placement, internal firewall and security, and channel, with no significant successes.

My research regarding uma and router support led me to believe that there really was no support for the protocol in the WGT624, or in any router, unless specified. This is where I decided, (with a $50 rebate offering) to try one of the two TMO branded routers; I chose the Linksys. Again, I am not a Linksys fan, but that's the "oldskool" in me.

Installed the Linksys alongside the Netgear, which may have created signal/channel issues that may not have existed previously, but just didn't want to give up the Netgear (and still don't). UMA, as opposed to uma signal strength is consistent now, not to mention that the unit itself (8320) still gets a little confused.

Did I mention that I upgraded from the 8100, and I had to tackle the whole Service Book issue a few times, until I actually went to the TMO website and edited the IMEI information for the Service Books.

Calls were still dropping regularly, while I was seeing a stronger signal (greater range for the WiFi and UMA). I also then restored the unit from a wipe with only the address book and messages. Things improved, but still dropping calls, and choppy audio.

Lastly I cut over the other wireless connections to the Linksys router from the Netgear, and powered the Netgear down.

Linksys is on Channel 11 now, UMA is looking good all day. This is the first solid performance since receiving the unit on Tuesday.

So, as an upgrade, the first isue to resolve is the transfer of Addresses and Messages only, as the Service Book issue is a big one, possibly Profiles as well. Next the uma/UMA issues must be dealt with, and router compatibility/support. My initial feeling was that the newer router would not be required, but in order to accomplish quality usage of uma in my environment, I need to be able to prioritize the protocol over the data.

Overall, I am sure that RIM, and TMO will both have some support upgrades, but I am feeling good to have been in on the ground level to see the results of the tweaking and tuning. Hey, and thanks for the forum - it's invaluable. Go Collaboration!!!

krabme no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by kicks2606
    You don't need the t-mobile linksys router in order to make calls, it's all just marketing, you can do it with any wireless router
    I have to partly disagree to kicks2606's message. The T-MO UMA routers are designed to carry voice packets with higher priority than data packets which should offer higher voice quality. That said, I currently do not use T-MO router but I get a very good UMA connection to my 2wire wireless gateway at home. It is best to check your home if other devices, access points, cordless phones, or stray signals that may interfere with your signal. I recommend using netstumbler to find an open channel. I avoid channel 6 and 11 since that is usually the default setting for most routers.

PIN/ID
    24218EA5

Arrow Re: UMA call dropping and poor audio quality

Have finally nailed the issues with call clarity down to the whole "uma priority" issue, and today is the day to pursue software management of the ip traffic through the router.

The problem for me is that I don't want to have to sacrifice my internet usage because I am using it for an additional purpose, i.e. uma.

I have comcast 6MB service, and recent stats: with 5 tabs open, including this site, and tmo8320 uma/wifi service on.

I don't wnt to have to throttle back services during peak usage periods, as otherwise I am in free minutes usage window, but if I need to manage in this way, at least I know what I need to do.

So this is the direction I am off into today. Any feedback or suggestions?

krabme no está en línea Stack level 1

That's plenty of bandwidth. I'm assuming you dowload a lot more than upload. A UMA call takes up about 35 kbps.

PIN/ID
    24218EA5

Smile Re: UMA call dropping and poor audio quality

Yes, I am using my connection a bit, and afterall, that's what it's for.

I work from home as well, and thus the @home service is ideal because it allows me to make better use of my cell minutes.

Even with all that bandwidth call quality was still an issue, and I am now looking at traffic shaping to help prioritize the traffic over the existing connection.

AmtrakConductor no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G v8 and UMA voice quality is excellent.

jamkam no está en línea Stack level 2

Anyone having issues w/ an Apple Airport Exteme router? I've heard there may be a ports needed to be open The UMA is useless; dropped calls in and out.

A direction to know where to look for support wold be appreciated. TMO --up to tier 3 --has been no help thus far.

AmtrakConductor no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast