I am using the curve with great results at home with a UMA connection. My ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

Living no está en línea Stack level 1

UMA at the workplace

Advertisement

I am using the curve with great results at home with a UMA connection. My problem is I work at a high school and not able to get the UMA connection. The phone does connect to the WIFI at work, but can't connect thru UMA. I am able to use the WIFI connection to browse the internet at work. The UMA error code shows W006, an ISP error. I know the high school does block certain sites from the students. Is there any way I can obtain the UMA connection? Or could this be that my workplace has the UMA connection blocked?

fgarcia3441 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: UMA at the workplace

The port that UMA uses might be block at the firewall level at your school.

Living no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for your response that's what I thinking.

TedB no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AF2BA8

May not be a port issue. I am having the same issue at my office. We have a T1 with a broadband voice/data router with no ports blocked and having the uma problem still. I am working with a TMO network engineer at this time and hopefully will get it resolved. If and when I do get it resolved I will post here what the problem was and the fix for it as well.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

ask them to turn QoS on... i had the same problem where i am during the day until i asked the IT guy to turn it on. since i am the only user of about 400 with a device that can utilize QoS, he didnt mind enabling it for me. he did say, however, that if bandwidth was noticeably reduced from enabling QoS, he would turn it back to off...
    I'm a born again Androider

TedB no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AF2BA8

Just an update.

After talking some more to the TMO engineer that I am dealing with (who has been in Hawaii this week on businness) and My ISP I am beginning to get some idea of where the problem may be. From what the engineer teels me, the UMA connection to TMO's server (punc.t-mobileuncs.com) is somewhat of a VPN connection. His words: "The GSM over WiFi connection through the router via an IPSEC tunnel ". Well my ISP is claiming that what I have is a raw T1 line that is wide open. No firewalls or port blocking and so on and If I require a VPN connection I will need to have them upgrade my hardware.

My response : BS!

TMO engineer agrees with me that it's BS, and we are trying (when he gets back from the island) to do some VPN testing from a desktop machine in my office.

I will continue to post any new info that I get.