Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

8120: I was talking to an ATT rep today (he really seemed to know what ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

ironzeppelin04 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask me=)

The reason wifi doesn't work...

Advertisement

8120:
    I was talking to an ATT rep today (he really seemed to know what he was talking about, more so than anyone else I have talked to ***From ATT***). He informed me that you do not necessarily need a data plan through ATT but rather the BlackBerry feature from RIM that is provided through ATT that allows the phone to have WiFi capabilty.

This is where many people (including myself) get confused on why WiFi doesnt work, as many people say they have wifi working without a data plan, but then ATT says that you need one.

So... you do not need an "ATT Data Plan" but rather a BB Feature that still will cost $30 a month. The ATT rep suggested in getting a Tilt or 8525... Neither of which I want, considering I will not like having windows on my phone!

Anyone else confirm this? or know ANY way around it as this is the whole reason I purchased the phone!
    Does Tmo work this way?
    Thanks

Also: I will try to contact BB on this when I get time and find out their response, I will post that when I get it!
    Last edited by ironzeppelin04; 09-23-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Not make anyone upset on the forum because almost all on here are more knowledgable then CS Reps!

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    WIFI will work without ATT service. I have been able to use it where I did not have service. Have not tried it without DATA plan. Cannot be sure.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    I know that some people have, but I have not been able to get WiFi working without the SIM card, which would makes it believable that you can get wifi w/out ATT service, but still need the "blackberry feature" (sorry I am not sure the correct name)

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    I've gotten a couple 8820's and wifi worked on them before I activated them. It worked out of the box.

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    Yeah your definitely not the first person that has said that!
    but at the same time what I am and all these other people doing wrong???
    Could it be a defect in the unit that allows people to do that or not do that? I want to say no because there are sooo many people on both sides of the issue, but I also want to say yes in hopes that I can RMA mine and get one that works.

It just is mentally frustrating because it has to be some stupid little setting (or code?) that is being overlooked and I cannot figure it out.

mitchsurp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    246F0115
    I'd say don't use AT&T. But that's just me.

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)

Ahhhh Grrrrrr.....

I talked to BB (not the tech support as I didn't want to pay), but this rep seemed very confident in his answer-

Q&A:
    ME: I just purchased an 8120 for the wifi from ATT. In order to use the wifi do I need a data plan, and someone told me that I need to get a BB plan or feature from you to use it, is that true?

REP: No, that is not true... You do not need a data plan from ATT or anything from us [BB]. It is like your laptop, all you need is the device and wireless network.

ME: ok, so just to make it clear I do not need to pay any extra fees or anything to use the internet through wifi?

REP: that is correct!

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    ok.. so...
    NOW WHAT???
    We have many many many people (me) with this phone that simply cannot seem to connect to the internet using WiFi, but at the same time we also have soooo many people (you) trying to help. But yet I still cannot get it for some reason... ATT wont help unless I pay them 30 bucks a month for a data plan...

Does anyone know how much tech support from RIM costs?
    or
    Does anyone here have any other ideas?

KWChan no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hey, new guy here. I just bought the 8120 and began playing with it. I'm with tmobile and yet this WiFi thing is trying me nuts. Apparently I can access the t-zones and the links from there such as CNN and ABC news but once I type in yahoo.com or google, it gives me either -Your plan does not support this option- or -Unable to retrieve the requested data-

I've been reading about in this forum and it seems I'm not the only one disarrayed by this "WiFi". I mean, if it has WiFi capabilities, it should not be problematic than a laptop picking up WiFi and surfing the web.

I'm gonna have to talk with the tmobile reps about this.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironzeppelin04 View Post
    8120:
    Does Tmo work this way?
    No. T-Mo wi-fi works with OR without a data plan. Some thing that require a data plan will not work but you can browse the internet with BB browser, Opera, etc. on T-Mo without a data plan.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    D/L Opera mini...
    once it is on your phone you need to go into your options and turn on the wifi (just put a check in the box). Then you will be browsing with wifi if your phone settings are correct as well... You can test it by taking your SIM card and seeing if you can get online.

lisax4o9 no está en línea Stack level 2
    i have tmo and my wifi on my phone works fine. you don't need a data plan from any of the company..so don't waste your money..and also when you connect to a wifi make sure that if they have the network key or pw then you need to type it in correctly and make sure you have a good connection..hope that helps if not then sorry

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    You don't need a data plan or a blackberry data plan to use the "hotspot browser" on any of the 8x20 blackberries. You might want to get the 4.5 update for your phone from the blackberry.com site.
    When you go into wifi diagnostics (Manage Connections, Wifi Options, Wifi Tools, Wifi Diagnostics) does it show that you're getting an IP address and your gateway and DNS entries are filled in?

One more thing though - many of the features of the device (such as BB Messenger, E-mail and built-in applications will not work without a BlackBerry plan).

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    yes, but the OP has an ATT 8120 ... att charges for tethering, tmo doesn't ... so they cannot be considered the same.

OP -- can you list the steps you have taken to active the wifi?

PIN/ID
    Ask me=)
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    OP -- can you list the steps you have taken to active the wifi?
    Here is how my BB is setup right now...

Options:
    Adv Options- Default browser is HotSpot
    mobile netowrk- ATT, Data Service is ON
    Wifi- Connected but agian with the dash (not sure if that means anything)
    Status- IP address is legit

Manage Connections:
    Mobile network- ON with a CHeck
    Wifi- ON with a dash

Browser Options:
    Browser- HotSpot, Everything is checked except for background images, Emulation is BB
    General Properties- Default browser is hotspot

Now I also have Opera which is set to wifi as well!
    As we all know.... What Goes Around, Comes Around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast