ok few questions i am running dd-wrt and i need to know some of the ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

Ju1c3 no está en línea Stack level 2

router configuration

Advertisement

ok few questions

i am running dd-wrt and i need to know some of the following:
    1. what ports and protocols does uma run on so i can set up QoS
    2. any other settings to go by?
    i know about the channel 11, as well as a few others i found while googling. but when i got into the wifi connections i have full service, but when i am on the home screen i got 1 bar. currently my connection for my BB is at: -71/-92/21 (signal/noise/snr). i know it isnt the best, because i can see my signal quality holds at roughly 30%.

i have the Tx set to 75. i read in another forum that uma doesnt like to go over 50, but i figured i would try it just to see if a stronger signal might help. didnt change the signal quality at all.

i also have wmm enabled, as well as QoS, i just want the specifics of the QoS to perhaps make it better.

i am starting to think i might be kinda boned. i still get little hiccups while talking sometimes, but i dont drop the call 90% of the time.

tomorrow i am going to set up my old belkin upstairs, and then make the wrt54g i just bought and flashed with dd-wrt a repeater running downstairs. i know this will help signal strength having 2 routers and 1 being that much closer to me, but configuring it to make the transition from 1 to the other seamless should suck. has anyone had luck with this before? i know keep them the same ssid and wep, but i was also thinking set the ip address statically in both routers based on the BB MAC address. would that help it at all.

so anyways, anyone who has been down this road have any pointers? hell any good ideas would help me out. if no one has anything to add, then ill just repost my findings on here. maybe i can help someone else out.
    INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: router configuration

I wouldn't use the Belkin if I were you (unless you have one of the G versions that are running DD-WRT) as every Belkin I had (over 5 different models and flavors) never worked well for UMA. This means the handoff will probably drop. The firmware that Belkin gives has very little control and I have had nothing but problems. Any Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, or Buffalo I have tried has worked and been leaps and bounds above Belkin. If I were you I would get another WRT54G and put DD-WRT on it and set up a WDS within your house. I am currently running this with 2 Buffalo HP-54G's and it works great.

As for the ports UMA is using ports UDP 4500 and UDP 500. I have these forwarded under managment (500 to 500 and 4500 to 4500 as this helps the handoff). I haven't fully setup QoS yet ( I just recently upgraded to the latest DD-WRT Ecko version and it is leaps and bounds above eveything else I have used, but haven't optimized it yet, who has time???).

Channel 11 has less interference, that is usually correct, but if everyone in your neighborhood is using it you could have crosstalk, interference and get stepped on. Do a site survey and see what comes up for your area and choose a channel that is off from the neighbors (I am using 3 on mine). You can also try different channels and see if the signal strength impoves as it could if there is interference in your neighborhood.

I haven't set mine to static IPs yet (have been toying with the idea though), but have no problem letting DCHP set the addressing for me and have no handoff problems that I am aware of and get great signal all over my house.

To setup QoS, the recommendation is to perform speed test with several of the online speeed test/ping sites and then average the resultsand set your QoS threshold limits to 80 percent of max achieved and this should allow the best packet sizing and speed.

You are correct in keeping the SSID the same and make sure the channel is the same. I would use WPA-Personal instead of WEP (for better security reasons) unless your other setups don't support it (as some older designs don't). Make sure that the secondary router/AP is outside of the range of your firsts DHCP settings or it will never connect and work as the router will see 2 devices with the same IP address and not be happy.

I will add more later if I can remember and think about it. Hope this helps and gives you someplace to start.

thanks for the input.

as far as neignbors, i have none. the closest person is 100 yards away. so thats not a problem. hell i dont even run security. ive monitored the connections to the old belkin and the wrt54g i have now, and no one has even tried to connect that i didnt know about. along with the fact that the wireless doesnt make it outside my house. this also tells you i live in the boondocks with shitty signal so thats why i am UMAing it.

as far as the belkin, i know it sucks. i bought it a year ago when i was broke and just starting my job for $30. i just upgraded to the wrt54g because i wanted to try the transmit boost for better reception, as well as 2 antenna for signal directing. however, if i were to do it again, i wouldnt buy the 54g for the simple reason they have v8's out now and they have limitations with the antenna among other things like running micro. oh well. id like to try and find a 54GL, but w/e.

i think i might try and running the belkin anyways(f5d7320 v6) just to try and set up the repeater. the only problem i have herd is it kills the bandwidth with a repeater. ill have to do some testing with pingtools and wireshark to see if there is a packet storm going on.

basically it all comes down to the fact i am playing around with this stuff, and trying to learn at the same time. i am a tech consultant who does these things regularly. just expanding my horizons.

also, i read on the dd-wrt website people say that they have voice quality issues when making the Tx boost over 50. i had mine at 50 and at 75, and i notice no difference. just a fyi, when you hit apply on the small changes like that, it does drop the call.

ill still try and see if i can get the BB to recognize to 2 APs as 1 network with no stutter between the 2. i do this stuff with laptops, should work for the UMA too hopefully
    Last edited by Ju1c3; 01-31-2008 at 02:44 PM.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

It can be done as I have it running currently in my house with no stutter from the handoffs (for either the laptops or the BB's, 2 of each). The problem with the Belkin (might not be a problem with your model) was that the Belkins would kill the UMA. Even though the UMA was allowed to set up, it would not allow a call. Data came across freely and without problem but once a call was initiated the call would drop within seconds. I am not the only one to have experienced this phenominom. Others have the same results and after swapping out the router errors disappeared. It looks as though the problem lies in the inability to control the data shaping with the Belkin. If you can get it to work (and I did hear of 1 or 2 that did, and I believe they were older routers) I hope it works for you.

I hadn't read about the 50 TX power on that site (really hadn't looked for it though). Was this in reference to VoIP or was it true UMA as the two work similarly but the packets are handled differently so it may not bother UMA as much. I have had my routers running 75 as well (not sure what I settled on after last upgrade) and there was no ill effects that I could tell and the UMA worked perfectly.

You might want to try the latest ECKO builds of V24 as they are the best that I have used of the releases. Seem to be much faster on my network. Yes you will loose bandwidth if you wirelessly connect the WDS, but if you hard wire in a cascade then the bandwidth loss shouldn't be a problem. I had to do the WDS as I have no way of running the cabling through my walls.

Good luck and let us know if it works.

i got the Tx info from the tutorials at dd-wrt's offical site. it was referencing the UMA directly, ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/UMA )

i am running
    DD-WRT v24 RC-6 (01/02/08) micro
    (SVN revision 8743)

i found the ecko versions, but i cant use them as i can only use micro versions

the belkin i had worked great except for the low signal strength. i enabled wmm and qos on it and i had next to no dropped calls. nothing else done to it and it was great. i just wanted the linksys to get dd-wrt to go. the belkin version i had didnt use the broadcom chipset so it isnt supported(not to mention it no likeie linux).

so we'll see if i can get a belkin and a linksys dd-wrt router to play nice with each other. might not be tonight, but should be by sunday with that. i am going to do the port stuff tonight. but again, i think my problems have more to do with signal rather then anything else. but i am a nerd, so ill do it anyways. lol

UPDATE:
    as of tonight, i configured the QoS based on the ports UMA uses, as well as giving the mac address of the BB all premium priority. i still have the same specs on the signal as my first post, but on my BB i have full UMA coverae instead of just 1 bar. i talked on it for 45 minutes and didnt drop a single call, nor did it have little "cut outs" that i normally get. its amazing. so basically my settings on my linksys are as follows:

Tx: 75
    Enable WMM support
    Fragment Threshold : 2304 (256-2346)
    RTS Threshold : 2304 (0-2347)
    Beacon Interval : 50 (20-1024 ms)
    QoS UMA ports 500 and 4500 Premium Priority
    QoS based on BB MAC premium priority
    channel 11

ill give more feedback as i use it longer, but these settings appear to make it 100 times better
    Last edited by Ju1c3; 01-31-2008 at 10:36 PM.

reverendchip no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20ef0602
    Quote Originally Posted by Ju1c3 View Post
    so basically my settings on my linksys are as follows:

Tx: 75
    Enable WMM support
    Fragment Threshold : 2304 (256-2346)
    RTS Threshold : 2304 (0-2347)
    Beacon Interval : 50 (20-1024 ms)
    QoS UMA ports 500 and 4500 Premium Priority
    QoS based on BB MAC premium priority
    channel 11

ill give more feedback as i use it longer, but these settings appear to make it 100 times better
    Tried your settings... WOW

No more dropped calls pacing around the house! Although handoff to the tmo tower still drops the call every time when I walk out to the car.