So I have an 8320 and UMA works fairly well inside my house and outside ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

BerrySmartUser no está en línea Stack level 3

Range Extender

Advertisement

So I have an 8320 and UMA works fairly well inside my house and outside I can get about a 40 foot range. I'm wanting to know if I purchase the Linksys Range Extender if it will truly boost my range while I'm outside working in my yard. I also have an older WRT54G Linksys router. My lot is about 65 x 145. I was planning on putting the extender in my garage. If anyone has any experience with this please let me know your results..

Gigamaster89 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I don't have experience with it but it looks like it will work. It just picks up a signal from your own router then broadcasts another one, so theoretically, it will increase the range alot.

absoluteevel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241C4261
    Yes, these work well. I just purchased a full router and loaded it with DD-WRT in repeater mode and UMA works great.

BobL no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteevel View Post
    Yes, these work well. I just purchased a full router and loaded it with DD-WRT in repeater mode and UMA works great.
    What's your set-up? Which router(s) and range extender(s) do you have?

absoluteevel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241C4261
    I have purchased quite a few Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 routers because they are no longer commercially available in the US due to a patent dispute. They have a long coverage range due to a built in amplifier and the RangeExtend chip which increases sensitivity for incoming signals.

I load DD-WRT (std) on these. They can then be configured as routers or repeaters, since the technology inside a repeater is nothing more than a router, just different software.

I have setup a network of 3 of these for a friend using WDS. Her internet connection is through a Sprint EVDO card.

As for myself, I keep one in my suitcase. While it isn't as compact as some of the models sold as travel routers, it packs power. When I arrive at a hotel, I pull it out and plug it in. All it takes is putting the name of the hotel's WiFi (or a neighboring signal if the hotel service sux) and I'm up and running with my phone, laptop, and anything else that needs a net connection. I get full strength Wi-Fi and 4 ports to plug stuff into if it isn't Wi-Fi compatible.

EDIT: While DD-WRT supports WDS, it also supports a repeater mode that just makes the router act with two seperate functions, client and host. The client connects to the remote Wi-Fi, the host accepts my connections and then routes them out the client side.

Ju1c3 no está en línea Stack level 2
    i have been using the dd-wrt in bridged repeater mode.... with the same ssid to hand off from one hotspot to another seemlessly, and it doesnt do it on my phone. it works with my laptop but not my phone. i have to have it manually scan to where it picks up the next AP.

2 wrt54g's V8: DD-WRTv24. Micro Generic(5/24/08)
    8320 4.2.180
    INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE

BerrySmartUser no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ju1c3 View Post
    i have been using the dd-wrt in bridged repeater mode.... with the same ssid to hand off from one hotspot to another seemlessly, and it doesnt do it on my phone. it works with my laptop but not my phone. i have to have it manually scan to where it picks up the next AP.

2 wrt54g's V8: DD-WRTv24. Micro Generic(5/24/08)
    8320 4.2.180

I finally got mine up and running. I have an older WRT54G Ver 2 and I'm running Alchemy v3 which opens up WDS and a ton of other features.

I then bought a WRT54GS TMO branded router. Basically I took the MAC ID's from the WAN and Device and put them in the WDS entries on my older router, along with using the same SSID, WEP, and turning off DHCP. It works perfectly. I don't have to manual scan at all.

I have the older router in my living room and my new one is out in the garage. Whenever I hit my backyard patio, the MAC ID switches from the older router, to router in the garage. The only way to see it is if I hit the Wi-Fi Diagnostics option, then go to advance options. There I can see the MAC ID switch back and fourth depending on proximity.