Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have the 8100 so I don't have wifi unfortunately. I do know that sometimes ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Please tell me the all of the real advantages of Wi-Fi

Advertisement

I have the 8100 so I don't have wifi unfortunately. I do know that sometimes wifi is faster and sometimes EDGE is faster. It varies, and it depends on the person. Wifi would be an advantage for me because I don't get good reception at my house so it's almost impossible for me to browse the internet on my phone from home. So having wifi would be good for places that don't get service but do have wifi.
    ~Lauren

vicd54 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have been very interested in trying to upgrade a user to the 8320 because he relocated to another country and his roaming charges are killing us. He needs to keep his existing U.S. number because of his position, so WIFI is our hope to reduce costs.

Our company does not have any wireless access points set up at any of our remote locations worldwide due to security risks. Of course, it has been this way since the beginning of wireless networking and never looked back upon even with all the advances made in security. Does anybody on this message board has some strong recommendations as to what are the best options considering that security is our highest priority if we would like to add an access point for users traveling internationally?

At this point, all I can come up with is paying for additional monthly internet access for travelers only but I dont think that would be approved for more than this one location that needs it most.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Quote Originally Posted by lauren25 View Post
    I have the 8100 so I don't have wifi unfortunately. I do know that sometimes wifi is faster and sometimes EDGE is faster. It varies, and it depends on the person. Wifi would be an advantage for me because I don't get good reception at my house so it's almost impossible for me to browse the internet on my phone from home. So having wifi would be good for places that don't get service but do have wifi.
    That's a very good point and might be the main reason someone would need wifi. I get great coverage at home, at work, really wherever I go, so it would be pretty useless for me. It's really an individual choice.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5

Yeah I agree, up to the user and the reasons that they would need it
    ~Lauren

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Like its been stated a couple of times already, it can be an advantage in an area with limited coverage. If you aren't lucky enough to live in a major market area with reasonable coverage (like me) you can find yourself in places that have spotty or no coverage at all. The WiFi can help with that.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

SLVR6 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    G PONG!

~via BB8320 (wap.pinstack.com)~
    To comment for the oroginal poster, the only real advantage of wifi for you (assuming you are on att with the 8820) is possible browsing speed. I say possible for the reasons noted earlier in this thread. I see an increase in browsing speed with my 8320. I didn't buy it for browsing, I bought it for UMA access when traveling internationally. For that, it has worked wonderfully. I say if you want fast browsing, go with Sprint or Verizon. You can tell I don't see much point of the 8820 on Att?

For the person asking about giving a person an 8320 for calling who is abroad for a long period, not sure if T-mobile would catch on or not. Right now (from conversations with my companies t-mobile rep) they don't officially support international roaming on wifi. I think you would be safe since it will be your companies access point. The call is likely travling over the same lines as a landline call, back to t-mobiles routers, then out from there. Just make sure you use a good router!

Blakefreak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242A9091

If you set your default browser to wifi and then ensure that your bookmarks are classified as wifi then you will get truly broadband speeds.
    EDGE is in no way capable of the speeds you will see using wifi.
    I download videos over wifi all the time and I typically see download speeds between thirty to fifty kilobytes a second.
    You will never see that one EDGE.
    Anyone who claims EDGE is faster simply hasn't set the phone up correctly.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Not wholely true, as if you are browsing mobile friendly or text sites going through the RIM proxy with little to no hops, and you have a long ping and high delay on your broadband service (due to your ISP's DNS routing, relay, and lag) it is very possible to have a much faster EDGE connection than the wifi connection even though all is set up correctly. I experienced this the other day when RoadRunner in my area was experiencing problems, coupled with the router and modem lag on my end. I was able to surf sites much faster through an edge connection than I could with my laptop (nothing I could do as the ISP was the weak link, so I just had to ride it out). I do agree though as a general rule that if everything is optimized and running to its best, then there is no way that EDGE speeds could touch wifi speeds.

Blakefreak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242A9091

Understood, not really talking about comparing cripled wifi to full EDGE though.
    I'm connected now to a wireless router a house and a half away through brick walls and I'm linked at 48Mbs.
    What's EDGE on it's best day?
    200kbs?
    As long as the router is not connected to a thirty year old 2800 baud link then wifi is faster.
    Case closed.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

No case closed as I was not forming an argumentative case against your statement, just clarifying that your statement that anyone who claims EDGE is faster doesn't have the phone set up correctly was not the end all truth (and AT$T has faster edge than T-Mo). I was showing that it is possible that EDGE could be faster than the wifi in certain examples, and the ones that I gave you were not crippled broadband as you calim it is. The examples I proposed could be normal operating standards for your broadband provider, because certain flavors of DSL are not any faster than EDGE and much slower when coupled with the lag of the modem and the time shifting of the routers, and these would be normal (not crippled) real world usage in which wifi might not possibly be faster than EDGE.

But as I said before, wifi should always trump EDGE just based on theoretical throughput.

On a side not has anyone ever seen anything faster than 48Mbs on the Curve?? Where is the 54Mbs that every other device in my house connects at on my network?? Has this device been throttled down in its speed in some way??

JayR no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    SK LX

Quote Originally Posted by jscottbarnes View Post
    Reports consistently detail that wifi on a BB is not much faster than EDGE (if at all)... and in many reports, much slower
    That doesn't make since. When I had my dash, the Wifi was considerably faster than the EDGE technology.

kevinwatson5 no está en línea Stack level 1

I bought the curve when it first came out and sold it. Wifi was terrible and it would hang at running script. The big difference was uma and sending MMS and emails with attachments, they were fast over wifi. I have since tried it again and running the latest chinese software I have seen a big difference in browsing speeds. And if you want to download an app or two while on the wifi it is pretty quick there too. The new software has helped and I am happy with mine this time around. Hope this helps.

ktorres1120 no está en línea Stack level 4

Ok so I was a long time BB user and last had the 8100 before going to the darkside (iPhone). Now I'm coming back and was going to go with the 8320 (I think that's the model) just for wiFi. Would it be better to just get the ATT 8310 and use my EDGE? This way I get GPS and I'm pretty happy with EDGE service here anyway.
    BB BOLD 9000
    TMOBILE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12