Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Having to decide whether to give up an 8820 for a slightly smaller Curve or ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

budh no está en línea Stack level 2

Please tell me the all of the real advantages of Wi-Fi

Advertisement

Having to decide whether to give up an 8820 for a slightly smaller Curve or not before the end of the week, I need to know what all of the advantages of having Wi-Fi are.

I seem to have the EDGE network in all locations I have been in since owning the 8820.

What are all the advantages I can expect to learn about if I have Wi-Fi on my Blackberry?

Oh, I do have an unlimited Blackberry data plan with BIS, and no BES.

Bud H

fwellers no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242219FB

Re: Please tell me the all of the real advantages of Wi-Fi

I doubt I know all of them, but the main one for me is that when I'm home, sometimes the browsing is faster through a wireless connection to my pc instead of just using EDGE.

Some networks I belive support wireless voice over ip, in that case you can talk over wireless and not use your minutes.
    People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
    Peace,
    Floyd

rand0m no está en línea Stack level 3

I have the 8320 and have actually turned off my wifi since i read it eats up the battery a bit.

I have unlimited data and BIS like you and find that EDGE works great. I could only see the advantage of having wifi for the seamless transfer of calls to wifi w/o using up mins.. but then again i have way too many mins that i'll never go over..

maybe i'm in the same boat as you wondering whats really good about wifi..

ajs3898 no está en línea Stack level 3

well i have the 8320 with t-mobile. ive been pretty happy with it up until about a week or 2 ago. its gotten to the point where i have to turn the wifi off to make a call so the call wont drop on me. i have been seriously debaiting switiching to sprint and getting there palm 755p. im really not happy with the amount of money I pay to tmobile to have the calls drop and the data be out every other day. If i switch to sprint, i get more services for my money.

StephenGuy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30636d59

I'm in the same situation. I just purchased the 8310 a few days before the 8320 was released, and now I want to upgrade to have the newest technology... But at the same time I don't know if its worth the trouble just to have wi-fi...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

JayR no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    SK LX

Quote Originally Posted by budh View Post
    Having to decide whether to give up an 8820 for a slightly smaller Curve or not before the end of the week, I need to know what all of the advantages of having Wi-Fi are.

I seem to have the EDGE network in all locations I have been in since owning the 8820.

What are all the advantages I can expect to learn about if I have Wi-Fi on my Blackberry?

Oh, I do have an unlimited Blackberry data plan with BIS, and no BES.

Bud H
    If you have T-Mobile you can use the HotSpot@Home feature they have. Meaning, you purchase the 20 dollar a month plan and when you're home your minutes are unlimited. Provided you have a high-speed connection and a router.

nmadd no está en línea Stack level 3

I seem to be on the other side of the fence in that, so far at least, I love having WiFi on my BlackBerry. Call quality has been fine for me on it, but the reason that I like it the most is the speed of the internet over it. Browsing web pages is significantly faster than EDGE for me.

To each his own, but I am very glad that I have the 8320.

JayR no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    SK LX

One word, my friend: Speed.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    One word, my friend: Speed.
    Reports consistently detail that wifi on a BB is not much faster than EDGE (if at all)... and in many reports, much slower

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jscottbarnes View Post
    Reports consistently detail that wifi on a BB is not much faster than EDGE (if at all)... and in many reports, much slower
    My 8320 is fooling the hell out of me then.

rand0m no está en línea Stack level 3

just wanted to chime in that the speeds of EDGE and wifi are relatively the same.. and ajs3898, if you are getting dropped calls cause of your wifi, you should talk to someone about that. that shouldnt be happening

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Quote Originally Posted by nmadd View Post
    My 8320 is fooling the hell out of me then.
    good for you... consider yourself lucky - just trying to keep a Stacker informed

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

ten5ff no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ have an 8120 and at home and school I use wifi constantly and its a great feature. I can tell a huge difference between edge and wifi

good for you... consider yourself lucky - just trying to keep a Stacker informed
    I do! I've read the same stories that say WiFi is no faster, so I'm not saying that this will be the case for everybody but for me, at least, I can notice an increased speed with WiFi.

Good luck in your decision, OP.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Not to hash up old arguments and wounds, but those details and reports are so uncontrolled it is not even funny, as there is no measure of the difference of the number of hops involved between the two connections as well as the speed of the actual broadband being used along with the router setup info and such (was the broadband connecting direcrtly to the backbone or not, etc). In a controlled perfect world the wifi should be slightly faster than the Edge connection (just based on the speed limitations of each), but will probably not be noticeable to the average user when going through the RIM proxy as it is already optimized for the Edge connection.

The detailed reports that are currently being talked about (even the lab run ones) will not document the number of hops for each (the Edge and the wifi) between the server being connnected to and the device (believe me these can make all of the difference). Is it that they are not savy enough to know how to obtain these (which then skews the data and call into play the reliability of the findings) or have they obtained them and they wouldn't support the data they are trying to push?? Why not find this out and truly publish it to take away all of the variables and questions?? I state this as I have a faster connection at home than at work for surfing (yet the work connection is a true T1 tied directly to the backbone and at home I have cable modem with a 1.5Mbs connection)? I knpw that work is tying in (and limiting through proxies) but this proves my point that if I state that my home connection is faster than at work (although true for my experience) it is not a definitive truth that would hold up in true lab controlled setting (the raw T1 would win everytime).

Having skewed off of the subject, as a general user, unless you were trying to keep your costs down, there would be no benefit to the wifi, this of course is not taking into account the specialized use for UMA which can be INVALUABLE when you are on campus and have no servce due to a dead spot within the campus/building except for the UMA/wifi connection that is being made available to you (it then becomes invaluable).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast