Will the 8820 enable PINs over Wifi? With the old, wifi-only blackberry, PINs apparently could ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

matt.hocker no está en línea Stack level 1

PINs via wifi on 8820?

Advertisement

Will the 8820 enable PINs over Wifi? With the old, wifi-only blackberry, PINs apparently could not be sent over Wifi.

This would be a very helpful feature!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: PINs via wifi on 8820?

Guess we'll see when people actually get them. RIM would have to make the BB APN accessible via the internet and not just through the carriers.

matt.hocker no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: PINs via wifi on 8820?

With the older wifi blackberry, somehow PINs were not supported even though VOIP calling and wifi email was. To me, this seemed odd because PINs are the native protocol for the push email service, but when I called RIM, they confirmed that PINs were not supported.

The only reason I have to believe that PINs will be supported on this is that the older wifi blackberry didn't have a GSM radio and therefore may have relied on a different protocol for passing emails. Now that the 8820 has both wifi and GSM radios, perhaps they will use the same message protocol, which means that PINs could be supported over wifi.

As the previous poster indicated, we will indeed have to wait and see, but if anyone has a tester unit and can try it out, or can comment based on technical knowledge, your information would be greatly appreciated!