Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Every sgnal handoff with the provider that goes through any tower has a signal header. ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: PIN + BB MSGR OVER WI-FI without mobile network on

Advertisement

Every sgnal handoff with the provider that goes through any tower has a signal header. That signal header contains the info that pertains to your device (ie the IMEI number, on the BB the PIN number, you phone number, your current 911GPS location data, your MAC address, etc).
    This data is transmitted each time the towers are talked to. This is how the system knows how to bill you for calls and data. The same headers exist for even when being transmitted across data lines. When you send a PIN the data goes through RIM's servers as was previously stated. The servers have all of the data already stored within them. When you added the data pan to your device the service books were sent to your device through your SIM card info, then your device connected itself to the RIM server for verification and authorisation stating that it had purchased the data plan, in turn then RIM servers verified with your provider that the device was in fact authorized on the system for data (are you beginning to see the vicious cycle).
    So when you ony connected through the wifi, the info was already stored and verified on RIM servers. If you were to drop the dats plan it would only take a short matter or time (could be a max or a couple of days) before the PIN would be deactivated for service from RIM servers as the verification checks through your provider woud turn up as invalid and your ability to PIN would be shut down (don't forget that each time you connect through the wifi you are broadcasting your MAC address which is unique to your device just as your PIN is).
    Don't believe me, just sell your device and don't have the PIN released and the next person will not be able to use it as it will still be tied to your account with your current provider (and RIM will know this info, because sometimes they can get involved to release a PIN in such cases). Think what you want but these companies are like BIG BROTHER in that they have the info whether you want them to or not. They would probably never tell you, but call your provider and get the knowledgable tech and he could tell you exactly the IMEI number of your device even though it was never given to them as it has been transmitted in the communication header.

I could change phones through a SIM swap when I was with AT$T and then log onto my online account and it would auto update to the current device I was using (as long as it was in their data base). Believe me they know (the tehnology is even there to blacklist stolen devices through the IMEI, but nobody is practicing it.

lilmiss no está en línea Stack level 1

ahhhh I see...that explains it then!! Thanks!!

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Glad that answered it for you. It took a little while to make sure thoughts were coherent and well thought out. I had to reread it quite a bit to make sure I covered all of the bases. Sorry it was so long, but tried to cover all so that nothing was left out and it all made sense (and that it was legible as I am not considered a typist at all).
    Last edited by squeakr; 11-20-2007 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Typos to be corrected.

lilmiss no está en línea Stack level 1

hehe, it was great thanks!!! Answered my question perfectly!!

So now I know why a data plan is necessary [for pinning] even if you have wifi...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12