Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey..I just bought an 8320. Before I signed up for a data plan I could ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

lilmiss no está en línea Stack level 1

PIN + BB MSGR OVER WI-FI without mobile network on

Advertisement

Hey..I just bought an 8320. Before I signed up for a data plan I could not use BB messenger or send PIN messages over the wi-fi. After I signed up for a data plan though, I could use it. The weird part is though, when I turned off the mobile network and only WI-FI was on (I couldn't make outgoing calls or anything because I wasn't connected to my mobile network), I could still send and receive PIN messages and BB messenger messages.

If I cancel the data plan, will I still be able to use bb messenger and pin?

I just thought you couldnt send pin messages over wifi..thats why I signed up for the data plan.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

Re: PIN + BB MSGR OVER WI-FI without mobile network on

If you cancel, no you will not be able to use BB Messenger. PIN and BB Messenger require you have a data plan.

I understand that.....but my mobile network was off so how could it know that i was sending pin messages over wifi?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

PIN and BB Messenger is the same thing. It's all data. Doesn't matter what it sends it over, it will find the best way. Wifi or GSM network either will work.

You need the data plan to us PIN and BB messenger without it neither will be available to you.

DwedPiwatWobert no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~without a data plan, you can't do data. Period. Even if its over your own network (ie, wifi). In this regard, its different than windows wifi devices. Even though you have a net connection, the pins and bb messages still at some point hit a server that knows if you have a data plan. Byah

But its not possible for the server to know I have a data plan because my service provider doesn't know the phone i have, or the pin of it because I didn't buy it from them and didn't give them that info. The service provider only knows that I have a blackberry plan. So when I've removed my SIM card from my blackberry, how can I still be sending PINs?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

The Pin and therefore BB messenger use the RIM gateway to get to the Data Network. Unless you have your Pin (and IMEI) registered to the RIM network, you won't be allowed to gain access though that gateway. If you cancel your BB data plan, your carrier resets the PIN registration. Therefore no Pin or BB messaging.

Rcbjr

That's what I thought as well.....but I never gave my carrier my PIN or IMEI info!! And because I didn't buy the blackberry from them, there's no way they could know it

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

But to get your service books, you had to associate your PIN and IMEI with the network. You probably did that during the Set Up process, either with the personal email setup or the Setup Wizard. Otherwise you would have never been able to use BB messenger.

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

LOL that's the thing....I didn't go through a set up process at all....I called my provider, said I wanted the Blackberry Connect, and half an hour later I could send PINs...I didn't sign up anywhere, or even touch my phone at all

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    They have to know your imei to even activate your phone, which they can get by activation, and the network will tell them your PIN once you are connected.It is not hidden to the carrier.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

So if it works over wifi... What's the question? If you say it works then it works. Not sure what the question is here. Why not remove the data and see or put a different sim, one that has no data plan and see if it still works. If all else fails, you can add the BB data plan back.

LOL, yeah..I don't have another sim card to try out in it, and its just a pain to cancel and re-ad the data plan...Just wanted to know i
    f anyone else had experienced this!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Now I'm certainly confused.

What exactly are you wondering? Are you wondering how your carrier knows you PIN and IMEI? Or are you wondering about the data issues?

I'm wondering about the data issues. I'm positive that there is no way my carrier could knowmy PIN and IMEI...

Which is why its weird that I can now use the data sevices I'msupposedly not to be able to use, when my SIM card is not in the phone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast