Hi all. I'm a brand spanking new Pearl owner, also new to the world of ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

He Who Is no está en línea Stack level 1

Pearl with WiFi - Will it raise price of Data Plans?

Advertisement

Hi all.

I'm a brand spanking new Pearl owner, also new to the world of Blackberrys.

I do read up a bit on phones and I could've sworn I read somewhere recently that RIM would be releasing an updated Pearl with a WiFi module soon.

Now obviously this would be good because I believe this would be faster than browsing/emailing over GPRS/EDGE however I think that the cell carriers might raise the price of BlackBerry plans (specifically Personal plans) slightly to compensate for some users maybe not even signing up for a BlackBerry data plan. What do you think?

I hope they don't decide to make this a data only feature (similar to Cingular and Tmobile's MMS option) that will only be unlocked if a user subscribes to a data plan.

Also can anyone confirm my memory on the newer Pearl being released? I can't find any articles on it but I remember reading it somewhere... If it is soon then I will just sell my Pearl and Sony Ericcson W880i and buy the updated unit outright from RIM unlocked.

tahikib no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Pearl with WiFi - Will it raise price of Data Plans?

I had a WiFi phone and it was not any faster than the GPRS/EDGE networks. My Cingular 8125 could only load so fast so no matter how fast the connection it was still slow.

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~there was some linked info about a new pearl with wifi. But I have no idea what it will do to prices but I would assume they would remain the same.

Jacisipmac no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e9128a

im no expert and this very well might just be wishful thinking, but i would have to assume that RIM has a hand in regulating the cost of its internet service via the service providers... its part of how RIM competes with the windows mobile and other smartphones, and that if RIM was going to introduce a WIFI capable device that they would do their very best to ensure that the BIS prices weren't raised for their consumers because it would hurt RIM if they did.

Im on cingular and have a pearl, my brother is also on cigular and has the samsung blackjack (which he admits was a huge mistake) I pay around $30 for unlimited BIS and 1000 text messages. He pays around $50 for unlimited internet and 1000 test messages. god help me if i have to pay an extra 20 bucks a month to keep my internet... i might have to give up the smartphone and get something that just has numbers on it... and that would be a sad sad day

oh and here is the link with the new specs
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...t_details.html

Flyin18T no está en línea Stack level 2

If you plan on walking further than 50 feet from any hotspot, then you'll need a data plan. You can rest assured that 99% of Pearl users will be in the same boat.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I really don't see having WiFi being all that great for me. Sure it will work around my home, but there are almost no public hot spots around me and if I already have to have a data plan, why pay for WiFi access too.

The only real advantage of WiFi on a Pearl is to reduce network traffic. I don't really see anyone who could use it full time. But then, that's just me.

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99

I don't think Wifi will cost extra, that wouldn't make sense. But it would be an advantage because the intent is that you can get faster speeds then what you can get on edge. And in a city with a large area of Wifi spots that are free it would be helpful, but I still would not be without a data plan!

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

The nice thing about Wifi is that it's free... if you own the access point. Otherwise, the range from a small mobile device is about 100ft for a good signal with no heavy line of site or other interference issues. People will still need to have a data plan, and if you want to get on an access point that you don't own, then you get to pay even more.

I really think the people that will use this the most are the ones that access interent features from their homes or offices where Wifi is already established.

Also, under ideal circumstances with a strong signal Wifi is faster than EDGE. Your speed does slow down as your signal weakens though, though this is often true with EDGE as well.