I'm new to WiFi and have done a search for my question and nothing came ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Question OK to leave wifi on 24/7?

I'm new to WiFi and have done a search for my question and nothing came up - so I hope I'm not repeating anyone's question.

Is it OK to leave my WiFi turned on all of the time? I turn my bluetooth off when I'm not using it because it drains the battery pretty fast, and that may turn out to be a similar issue with WiFi. But I'm also concerned about the other issues with WiFi. I'm guessing it won't pick up signal unless I've set it up for that signal - so it should be ok to leave it on all the time and then it would just be active when I'm in an area with a signal I've joined. Is that correct? Are there any security issues with leaving the WiFi "open" all of the time?

siccmade no está en línea Stack level 4
    i used to leave it on but i noticed it will to also drain the battery, and sometimes failed calls because it would automatically change from EDGE TO UMA during a call.
    so i would say leave off until you want to connect. i don't believe there to be any security issues at this time , but i would keep your fire wall on just to be safe.
    TMO:MYTOUCH 3G SLIDE
    ROM:SlideMeRoot5r1
    KERNEL:2.6.29-5F8ED14

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yea, keep it off. I actually did some tests and it drains the power. It will always scan periodically for wifi connections, and try to match to your saved profiles, at which point if there is a match it will try to establish a connection.

jblackfish no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Blog Entries
    It depends on where you are and whether you intend to use it most of the time. I leave my wi-fi on all the time because I'm connected UMA most of the time, day and night. I haven't experienced any lost call problems while I'm away from a hotspot so far...or battery problems, even though it does use more power to leave it on. I recharge every night anyway and I'm not running short of battery yet.

I'm going out of town tomorrow and I may have to turn it off while I'm mostly away from a wi-fi spot - we'll see - but normally mine's on all the time.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    Blog Entries
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I leave mine all on all the time. I would never remember to turn it back on. I don't have any dropped calls. I don't notice any battery issues either, but I have the normal size extended battery.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    It depends on where you are and whether you intend to use it most of the time. I leave my wi-fi on all the time because I'm connected UMA most of the time, day and night. I haven't experienced any lost call problems while I'm away from a hotspot so far...or battery problems, even though it does use more power to leave it on. I recharge every night anyway and I'm not running short of battery yet.

I'm going out of town tomorrow and I may have to turn it off while I'm mostly away from a wi-fi spot - we'll see - but normally mine's on all the time.
    I've noticed something interesting -- the NEW linksys routers work 100x better. For example, my wrt54G drains a lot more power than the new WRT150N. The WRT150N keeps the signal better (even at G only, not N obviosly) and the battery after a day or so (with an extended battery) is just as drained as if I was using tmobile -- infact, because I have perfect signal and my phone is not always looking for signal, sometimes it's even better.

But with some of the old netgear routers, by the end of the day, with the extended battery, my battery is at 65% -- which is VERY strange given that usually it's at that % after 2-3 days.

Also, I've noticed that calls drop a LOT when switching wifi points (using the hop option -- in universities for example where 25-50 access points per floor are easily available, and when it goes from UMA to EDGE.
    Last edited by ventz; 04-02-2008 at 04:09 PM.

candrews no está en línea Stack level 1
    it'll just drain your battery huge

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    I leave my wifi on all the time at my house, because if I don't I hardly get any signal. My bb is always charging at night though, so it doesn't drain overnight.

Bluetooth is the one that you don't want running all the time because it will drain your battery like crazy.

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3
    As some have said, I leave my wifi on all the time and there is not a noticeable loss of battery. I also leave my bluetooth on all the time and I have battery all day. I charge every night, but it is off the charger by 6AM and goes back on at about midnight or a little after. i have never seen a low battery indicator at all either.
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas