I use the wifi almost all the time even when driving. How to do this. ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

jak
    jak no está en línea Stack level 2

Make the most out of wifi

Advertisement

I use the wifi almost all the time even when driving. How to do this. First thing I did is went to frys electronics and got a key chain that finds wifi hot spots. it was $10. you can go to iogear.com to find it.
    Setting up is the long part. I drive my normal paths and I hit the key chain button it does a quick scan to let me know if there is a wifi signal. If there is I let the phone scan. If its an open network (they are everywere) I save it in the phone. I rename so I can remember were it is like with the street name, store name or address.

As I drive down the road and know I am about to make a long phone call I pull over to the nearest spot. I make the call and then drive away after connected.
    Does this work?
    Yes I have been with tmobile for 8 years now and had the original contract 5000 minutes. I use about 4000 min. every month. Now I droped the minutes to 1500 and have been monitoring the usage from Tzones. so far I still have 1409 minutes left and the new month started on oct 3.
    As for at my house I have two wireless routers on the same channel. I install third party software (even in the tmobile router) that lets me crank up the power. I get about a 100 yard circle a wifi around my house. and yes its opened so my neighbors are free to use it.
    GO WIFI

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Re: Make the most out of wifi

Quote Originally Posted by jak
    As for at my house I have two wireless routers on the same channel. I install third party software (even in the tmobile router) that lets me crank up the power. I get about a 100 yard circle a wifi around my house. and yes its opened so my neighbors are free to use it.
    GO WIFI
    What kind of third party software do you use?
    I live in a very clottered area as far as wireless signals is concerned, there are like 5 TV towers (the big ones) 200 yds from my house as well as Radio station towers and what not, So i get a pretty bad signal out of my wireless router, my radius on a 2701hg-t 2WIRE wireless DSL router is about 15 feet.
    Any ideas ?

-Cabron

jak

DD-WRT.com- follow the direction for your version of router

PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Thanks ill have to try that as soon as I get home~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    Quote Originally Posted by cabron
    What kind of third party software do you use?
    I live in a very clottered area as far as wireless signals is concerned, there are like 5 TV towers (the big ones) 200 yds from my house as well as Radio station towers and what not, So i get a pretty bad signal out of my wireless router, my radius on a 2701hg-t 2WIRE wireless DSL router is about 15 feet.
    Any ideas ?

-Cabron
    Someone is going to glow in the dark lol jk

PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Quote Originally Posted by Toddboy71
    Someone is going to glow in the dark lol jk
    I didnt get the hidden message
    lol ???

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

I was referring to your close proximity to all the radio freq transmissions. lol

btw, went to the dd-wrt site. I couldnt find any download which I was confident would expand the wifi range.
    The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Quote Originally Posted by Toddboy71
    I was referring to your close proximity to all the radio freq transmissions. lol

btw, went to the dd-wrt site. I couldnt find any download which I was confident would expand the wifi range.
    Uhmmm I saw something under the "wiki" menu but My router isnt one of the supported routers.
    And no im not going green this is safe I mean the Antennas are TV antennas but there are also TV sets there and news sets and hundreds of people working and living in close proimity.

jak

[FONT=Arial]DD-WRT Tutorial 2: Extend Range with WDS[/FONT]

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...0724_3628576_2

See if the works for you.

You can also extend the range with the original software in the linksys routers. Just link them together. this link will tell you how to link routers together. You just setting them up as repeaters.

But with the third party software you get more options like cranking up the power. (A t-mobile rep set me up with this new software)

PIN/ID

I use dd-wrt too, in the begining its a pain to set up esp on non supprted routers loke the TMO Linksys which by the way is a ver4. But once it is setup hello wifi wignal all over my housea, the DSL connection is in my beasement the 2nd wireless router is on the 2nd floor connected wirelessly to the one in the basement via wds and dd-wrt software~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~