quick question. what is the REAL difference Tmobile branded Linksys and the Linksys WRT54G routers? ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Linksys WRT54G vs TMO Linksys. difference?

Advertisement

quick question. what is the REAL difference Tmobile branded Linksys and the Linksys WRT54G routers?

from what i can see, nothing?

anyone?

Linksys WRT54G
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Linksys WRT54G vs TMO Linksys. difference?

From what I have gathered through research, the main difference is in the proprietary firmware, as the hardware is exactly the same. T-Mo has a special flashed version of the firmware, that also has a built in backup storage area that if the main partition is corrupted it will revert to the backup partition. This makes it impossible to do a Web based upgrade to a different firmware (non T-Mo or Linksys approved for this device), as once the device is rebooted it sees the bit change difference and defaults to the backup eprom. Some have JTAG'd it and found that it functions the same as the standard model once the lowlevel reprogram was completed. Hope this helps. Why are you trying to get one to work the same as the T-Mo branded??

PIN/ID

thanks squeak

im not trying to 'duplicate' the 2, just real curious as to the difference since i have the wrt54g.

i just cant see the advantage of the tmobile branded router?

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

I would say no real advantage, except that if you are paying for the H@H, the router is free after rebate, and it can make a nice backup router (or main if you choose) as it is free and would cost you nothing. I have 2 as back ups but am using others as my main. You should be more than fine with the router you have, I would just tweak the settings to be closer to the T-Mo settings and you should see better results in UMA performance.

PIN/ID

awesome. thanks for steppin up to the plate for me and giving me your input squeakr