Ok, I'm not grasping this whole hotspot thing. I have the 8320. I was at ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

ziminvades no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Hotspot question

Advertisement

Ok, I'm not grasping this whole hotspot thing. I have the 8320. I was at an airport today and it had a hotspot wi-fi connection. I don't have a subscription but I was able to surf at incredible speeds. If I can access the wi-fi network what is the need for the hotspot subscription. What are the benifits? Am I missing something? I even went to my browser bookmarks, "wi-fi connections" then "log into hotspot" and I have the sign in screen with catered options for the airport. I went into the catered options and had no problem accessing what I wanted. I'm confused......any info on hotspot would be appreciated

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Hotspot question

Do you have the hotspot @ home as it is rumored that if your have that then you get the hotspot included it wasn't meant to be that way but is functioning that way. The hotspot you were at, was it a T-Mo hotspot (which is what the subscription covers) or was it a free hotspot connection, as the free ones don't need anything to use them, hence the free moniker?? Also you are not referring to the hotspot @home subscription correct, just the hotspot as there is a difference (hotspot being data, and the hotspot@hoome is for voice calling)?

markbb99 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by ziminvades
    Ok, I'm not grasping this whole hotspot thing. I have the 8320. I was at an airport today and it had a hotspot wi-fi connection. I don't have a subscription but I was able to surf at incredible speeds. If I can access the wi-fi network what is the need for the hotspot subscription. What are the benifits? Am I missing something? I even went to my browser bookmarks, "wi-fi connections" then "log into hotspot" and I have the sign in screen with catered options for the airport. I went into the catered options and had no problem accessing what I wanted. I'm confused......any info on hotspot would be appreciated
    You don't need any subscription to use the T-Mob Hotspots with your Curve - up to a point. Now you state you were able to go to the catered options for the airport - which anyone without a subscription could go to. Did you try using your wifi browser to go to another site - such as this website for example??? It shouldn't work without logging onto the T-Mob Hotspot - however as you found - if you use the browser over EDGE/UMA it will connect without any problems as you are using the data plan on your account rather than over native wifi.

Hope that helps - and makes sense!!

Not true, you cannot acces T-Mo Hotspots without some sort of subscription for the Curve, be it either the H@H option or the HotSpots option, but without it you will find the hotspot but not be able to connect, unless your particular one left it open access, in which case anyone could reach it.

ziminvades no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

The info was great. I actually traveled to 4 seperate locations that had hotspots and all 4 I could use their wi-fi network connection. I called tmobile and this is whay I was told.

Rep: hotspot and H&H are the same thing. The feature ,while connected to a wi-fi network, prevents the call from using your minutes under your standard plan. You can call anyone in the U.S. and while on a wi-fi connection it's free ($20 dollars a month free). It will not affect your minutes under your plan. He did say that if you are on a call and leave the network the call will count against you. This is going against all the commercial hype that was pushed. Is that part true?
    I asked specifically what's the difference between the two add on options and he said there is no difference. Now here is my new problem. I thought I would try this new feature and signed up. I get to a hotspot and try to sign in but my sign on and password aren't right. Do you receive a new user I'd and password? My next question is this. What happens once you sign on? Does anyone actually have this feature and utilizes it with their curve (signing into hotspot)?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

What some are saying is that the call counts depending on where it originated from, hence if started on wi-fi with H@H then entire call free even if handed off to cell tower. On the flip side,if call started on cell tower and handed off to wi-fi, call remainis to be billed as if entirely held on cell. This is the same way the call billing occurrs for peak v. off peak calling (billed in whatever category the call was started in not what it ended in). As far as I know the difference between Hotspot and H@H was the H@H was supposed to be for voice over wifi (VOIP) and the hotspot was supposed to be for data (ie with a data card for PC and non-voice activities). T-Mo could be changing this and allowing both no matter what plan, but then why the confusion and not just have one plan that covers both as it is the same price?? Bet this makes it clear as mudd now.

markbb99 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    Not true, you cannot acces T-Mo Hotspots without some sort of subscription for the Curve, be it either the H@H option or the HotSpots option, but without it you will find the hotspot but not be able to connect, unless your particular one left it open access, in which case anyone could reach it.
    No you are incorrect. For voice calls at a T-Mo hotspot you don't need the H@H or the Hotspot option. For data using the EDGE/UMA browser you need a (bb) data plan - if you want to use the wifi browser then you need the Hotspot data add on.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~No you are incorrect as you misread my response. I was replying to the question about data use only, therefor my answer is correct, as the response and original question were in no way talking about voice calls, which do require the bb enabler to use UMA or most are finding it drops within seconds, but then again that is outside of the scope of the original question in data usage at hotspots, which I am correct about that it requires the H@H or hotspot plans like I originally stated.