HOTSPOT@HOME TROUBLESHOOTING Basic Information & Facts The phone is programmed to connect to the stronger ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Hotspot @Home Troubleshooting

Advertisement

HOTSPOT@HOME
    TROUBLESHOOTING
    Basic Information & Facts

The phone is programmed to connect to the stronger signal, either GSM towers or WIFI. If the GSM tower signal is coming in stronger than the WIFI signal, the phone will default to the GSM towers. To increase the router signal follow the suggestions below.

Optimum router placement is:
    • Central location in the room, desk height
    • Not within 4 feet of any wireless equipment, ie. Baby monitor, wireless mouse, cordless phone, microwave, etc
    • 12 " radius around the router for better signal distribution
    • Router antenna angle adjusted often to discern in what direction the strongest signal is obtained. A 45 degree angle is a good place to start.

The phone is also programmed to connect to Saved Networks in order of preference. Access your Saved Networks screen in your phone. Highlight your home or office SSID, press OPTIONS. Move this address to the top of the list to assure it the top connection priority.

A voice call carried over a WiFi connection requires a bandwidth of 128 kbps. Compare this number to the average bandwidth needed to transport data which is 70kbps.

Routers, to date, have been programmed for data only. There are particular settings that can be applied to your router that will allow the size of bandwidth necessary to support the HotSpot@Home voice calling over a WiFi connection. If you are using the T-Mobile DLink or T-Mobile Linksys router, the 'Voice over Data Priority' is a built-in component and will not need the adjustments listed below.

How to Apply

• Login to your router's administrative interface on the PC. If unsure, start by entering this address in your address bar on your browser:
    http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.24.1

Username & password may be by default:
    Username : (left blank) Password : admin
    • Under the 'wireless' tab – change the router's channel to '11'. This will prevent radio frequency interference from other wireless equipment. APPLY the setting change and power router OFF/ON to update.
    • The following must be enabled in order to support HotSpot@Home:
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]UDP port 500 – enabled in both directions through the firewall
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]UDP port 4500 – enabled in both directions through the firewall
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]IPSec Passthrough – enabled (if available)
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]QOS – Quality of Service – enabled (if available)
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Enter the IP or MAC address of your phone and assign 140 kbps as a priority bandwidth for this address (if available)

Note:
    Many gaming devices require certain ports to be opened in order to enter particular gaming rooms. If you need to call your ISP, simply say "I have new wireless equipment that requires these ports to be opened in both directions through the firewall."

Rove-in – Rove-out Feature

T-Mobile HotSpot @Home handsets are able to switch between GSM and Wi-Fi networks. In order to eliminate rapid, ping-pong transitions between networks, a phone that transitions off Wi-Fi (to GSM or to no signal) must remain off the Wi-Fi network for least 70 seconds before a subsequent "hand-in" or "rove-in" to Wi-Fi.
    With the exception of the 70 second interval restriction, there is no limit to the number of times that a phone can hand-in or rove-in.

Sim Cards

Sim cards 3 years old or older do not work well with the HotSpot@Home feature. Please go to your T-Mobile store or call 1-800-937-8997 to update your sim card.

Connectivity Errors

If you see an error when trying to connect to a WiFi network, this usually means that your phone and the network are unable to sync with each other. Removing the battery from the phone while it is powered ON will, generally, allow the phone & router to sync.
    If this doesn't allow you to connect, you will need to troubleshoot the entire network. Directions follow:
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]On your phone, go to the screen that displays your 'Saved Networks'
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Highlight the address of your home network that you normally connect to. Press OPTIONS – then DELETE
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Leaving the phone turned ON, remove the battery from the back of the handset.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Go over to your network. Beginning at the wall, power OFF your modem; remove power source from the router; turn OFF computer.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Turn ON modem. Wait 1 minute. Turn ON router. Wait 1 minute. Turn ON computer.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Verify that you have internet connectivity by going to any website.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Replace battery in phone and power ON.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Menu – Settings – WiFi – Available Networks – Connect to your home address. Enter security pass key if necessary and SAVE this address.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Go to your SAVED NETWORKS screen. Highlight your home SSID and press OPTIONS. Select ORGANIZE PRIORITY. Move this address to the top of the list so that it has the NUMBER 1 priority within the system.

Blackberry 8320 (Curve)

This phone allows the user to turn off the GSM tower or the WIFI radio as needed. Take advantage of this feature when in a situation where you want to be assured of a WIFI connection only.

xxchixorxx no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Hotspot @Home Troubleshooting

That made me think of a stupid little question...you don't need the "official" router for HS@H do you?

*~Sheila~*
    243A0D29

98clru no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by xxchixorxx View Post
    That made me think of a stupid little question...you don't need the "official" router for HS@H do you?
    No. Any router with adequate bandwidth and no security or the proper keys to secuity will do.

butterfly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    7FFBC4F3

Quote Originally Posted by flash24 View Post
    HOTSPOT@HOME

TROUBLESHOOTING

Basic Information & Facts

The phone is programmed to connect to the stronger signal, either GSM towers or WIFI. If the GSM tower signal is coming in stronger than the WIFI signal, the phone will default to the GSM towers. To increase the router signal follow the suggestions below.

Optimum router placement is:
    • Central location in the room, desk height
    • Not within 4 feet of any wireless equipment, ie. Baby monitor, wireless mouse, cordless phone, microwave, etc
    • 12 " radius around the router for better signal distribution
    • Router antenna angle adjusted often to discern in what direction the strongest signal is obtained. A 45 degree angle is a good place to start.
    The phone is also programmed to connect to Saved Networks in order of preference. Access your Saved Networks screen in your phone. Highlight your home or office SSID, press OPTIONS. Move this address to the top of the list to assure it the top connection priority.

A voice call carried over a WiFi connection requires a bandwidth of 128 kbps. Compare this number to the average bandwidth needed to transport data which is 70kbps.

Routers, to date, have been programmed for data only. There are particular settings that can be applied to your router that will allow the size of bandwidth necessary to support the HotSpot@Home voice calling over a WiFi connection. If you are using the T-Mobile DLink or T-Mobile Linksys router, the 'Voice over Data Priority' is a built-in component and will not need the adjustments listed below.

How to Apply
    • Login to your router's administrative interface on the PC. If unsure, start by entering this address in your address bar on your browser:
    http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.24.1

Username & password may be by default:
    Username : (left blank) Password : admin
    • Under the 'wireless' tab – change the router's channel to '11'. This will prevent radio frequency interference from other wireless equipment. APPLY the setting change and power router OFF/ON to update.
    • The following must be enabled in order to support HotSpot@Home:
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]UDP port 500 – enabled in both directions through the firewall
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]UDP port 4500 – enabled in both directions through the firewall
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]IPSec Passthrough – enabled (if available)
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]QOS – Quality of Service – enabled (if available)
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Enter the IP or MAC address of your phone and assign 140 kbps as a priority bandwidth for this address (if available)

Note:
    Many gaming devices require certain ports to be opened in order to enter particular gaming rooms. If you need to call your ISP, simply say "I have new wireless equipment that requires these ports to be opened in both directions through the firewall."

Rove-in – Rove-out Feature

T-Mobile HotSpot @Home handsets are able to switch between GSM and Wi-Fi networks. In order to eliminate rapid, ping-pong transitions between networks, a phone that transitions off Wi-Fi (to GSM or to no signal) must remain off the Wi-Fi network for least 70 seconds before a subsequent "hand-in" or "rove-in" to Wi-Fi.
    With the exception of the 70 second interval restriction, there is no limit to the number of times that a phone can hand-in or rove-in.

Sim Cards

Sim cards 3 years old or older do not work well with the HotSpot@Home feature. Please go to your T-Mobile store or call 1-800-937-8997 to update your sim card.

Connectivity Errors

If you see an error when trying to connect to a WiFi network, this usually means that your phone and the network are unable to sync with each other. Removing the battery from the phone while it is powered ON will, generally, allow the phone & router to sync.
    If this doesn't allow you to connect, you will need to troubleshoot the entire network. Directions follow:
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]On your phone, go to the screen that displays your 'Saved Networks'
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Highlight the address of your home network that you normally connect to. Press OPTIONS – then DELETE
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Leaving the phone turned ON, remove the battery from the back of the handset.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Go over to your network. Beginning at the wall, power OFF your modem; remove power source from the router; turn OFF computer.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Turn ON modem. Wait 1 minute. Turn ON router. Wait 1 minute. Turn ON computer.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Verify that you have internet connectivity by going to any website.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Replace battery in phone and power ON.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Menu – Settings – WiFi – Available Networks – Connect to your home address. Enter security pass key if necessary and SAVE this address.
    [FONT=Wingdings] Ř [/FONT]Go to your SAVED NETWORKS screen. Highlight your home SSID and press OPTIONS. Select ORGANIZE PRIORITY. Move this address to the top of the list so that it has the NUMBER 1 priority within the system.

Blackberry 8320 (Curve)

This phone allows the user to turn off the GSM tower or the WIFI radio as needed. Take advantage of this feature when in a situation where you want to be assured of a WIFI connection only.
    Wish I had seen all this before when I was trying to connect my router/WiFi....I have Netgear and initially when I called them they were no help...I had to do everything myself and I finally got connected....
    Last edited by butterfly2; 12-28-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: adding something
    A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man should have to seek Him first to find her.
    Maya Angelou

mikew no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Re: Hotspot @Home Troubleshooting

Great post flash24! That's really some great advice and troubleshooting tips you've shared with us. Do you think this Linksys Network Optimizer would help the UMA connection since it helps to improves the quality of VoIP phone calls if you don't have one of the routers that T-Mobile sells?

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    Great post flash24! That's really some great advice and troubleshooting tips you've shared with us. Do you think this Linksys Network Optimizer would help the UMA connection since it helps to improves the quality of VoIP phone calls if you don't have one of the routers that T-Mobile sells?
    Hey Mike! No problem man.. the Optimizer should help.(specially if you have the Tmo linksys router), I don't see why not.

bravos2u no está en línea Stack level 1

To Anyone that can help,

Have BB Curve + TMO. Have Belkin PreN wireless router. Have spent over 20 hours with TMO/BB support on the phone. Difficulty with reliably connecting to UMA....curve sees the signal but often will NOT connect.

Are there any specific suggestions for the Belkin router settings ?

Also, wireless router is in front house, I'm in the back house....my laptop connects to the wireless, no problem....is there a way to get the TMO wireless router for the back house to "bridge" with the wireless
    router in the front without the use of a LAN line for the back house wireless (TMO) router ?.....is there any type of wireless router or similar type of device that can "bridge" the wireless signal to the back house without the use of a LAN line......for the back house ?

a BIG Thanks in Advance !!!

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Best answer I have for you is number 1 ditch the Belkin. Anything newer or with PreN/N will not work if it is a Belkin produced router. Belkin has done something in their firmware and have locked out almost all control to get the settings necessary for good communication and steady signal holding. I have had probably 15 different routers since starting the UMA service (yes I am a geek and like to try different things). All of the Netgear, D-Link, Buffal, and Linksys I have had produced no problems. Cisco APs at work and school have no problem as well. Belkins (had 5 different ones everything from just G all the way to the second best they make. The N1 and not the N1 vision including the PreN you have as well) and they would all have the same dropped signal problem. Went to another brand and nop problems at all.

Second answer is that you can get an AP (access point) and connect as you want to do or get a repeater to extend/boost your wireless signal. The T-Mo as it comes from the factory will not be able to do this. (You can JTAG it and load DD-WRT or another open source firmware and accomplish what you want to do, but that requires breaking open the router, some soldering skills and patience and knowledge of reflashing the EEPROM with the new software, something that can brick the router if you are not careful). I have 2 Buffalo routers doing what you want by running the DD-WRT firmware. The easiest way would be to add an aftermarket repeater, AP, or get a directional amplified antenna to boost your signal.. Either way I would ditch the Belkin (or at least not use it for the UMA connection as it will cause nothing but heart ache and grief).

bravos2u no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank You very much for your advice !

OutsideLookinIn no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    XxxXXxxX

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly2 View Post
    Wish I had seen all this before when I was trying to connect my router/WiFi....I have Netgear and initially when I called them they were no help...I had to do everything myself and I finally got connected....
    Hi. I'm having the same problem with my Netgear router. I have the Range Max WPN824 model and can't connect to T-mobile's UMA when making a call. It will either switched me to the EDGE network or it will disconnect all my device (pc & internet phone) from the internet.

How did you configure your Netgear settings? I tried calling their tech support too but they were no help also

Thanks!
    Last edited by OutsideLookinIn; 02-18-2008 at 11:09 PM.

sktrouble no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi, I too having problem with T-Mobile HotSpot@Home Linksys router for home. I had internet problem several days ago and reset my Modem and Linksys router. The internet connection came back up but not the home phone(no dial tone); the blue light on the router is not coming back up. Went through all the troubleshooting you have listed, even changed my Sim card since I had it for 3 yrs and put a new one in - no result. Placed a Sim card on a old phone and is working - can send/receive calls. Internet is working fine. Any suggestions?