I've got a wrtg54x linksys which apparently is nearly impossible to get the curve to ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

willeffects no está en línea Stack level 1

has anyone setup the hotspot with existing router?

Advertisement

I've got a wrtg54x linksys which apparently is nearly impossible to get the curve to work with. So I went out and got the linksys hotspot router (free after mail in rebates from tmobile). Works great for all my computers but the curve drops out of wifi in my bedroom.

So, I was thinking it would be simple enough to keep my wrtg54x for my computers/office, then send one cat5 through the attic and put the hotspot router closer to my bedroom. Would be ideal if the two routers could speak wirelessly but that may be crazy speak!.

Has anyone attempted any combination of the hotspot with another router?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Will

tiger123sw no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207ab3

Re: has anyone setup the hotspot with existing router?

I have TMOs Dlink set up as an access point, plugged into my Linksys WRTP54G the TMO router is about 15 feet from my Linksys. Then I added Dlinks high gain antenna http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=416 this give me pretty darn good coverage, in the 1st and 2nd floors on my house (routers/computers are on the 1st floor) . All so about 20 foot radius out side of the house the garage is about 30% covered the back yard is 75% covered. I am quite satisfied with the absence of dead spots. Linksys has a range extender that might work for you http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=7813819675B06
    Depending on how much “push” you need a high gain antenna might solve your problems too, and is cheaper then an extender. http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=2941619675B04

There are some simple little things you can do to make sure you are getting full signal from the router too. Move it way from your computer, keep any and all cordless phones away from the router sometimes halogen and or other desk lamps will throw out weird rf signals that will knock your wireless signal down some what. Try changing the channel on your router. I think the router should have an “auto” option for channel try auto . ch 6 then 11 then maybe 7 play around with it remember to reboot the phone after channel change and give the phone 60 seconds or so to connect. Then go to wifi diag on the phone and look at your signal strength in dbs not the little bars on the home screen I get about a -40db which is a good strong signal. If you have the 8320 (I don’t know about the pearl) you can hold the ALT key and type NMLL that will change the bars to numbers on the home screen but the numbers are in black so if your background is black ….you will not see anything.

Thangs tiger, I am starting with your NMLL trick, that is fantastic! Right now im at about -102 EDGE. then -82 UMA randomly. I havent moved at all. Perhaps the expander will be enough for me.

I do own the wrtgsx4 which is super powerful but the curve just wont connect to it all. Im about to try some 3rd party firmware to see if that can allow me to use just that. Though ive never hacked a linksys yet so a bit cautious about doing that.

I'll let you guys know the results.

Great community here!

Will

tiger123sw no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207ab3

Yes let me know how you make out ... I need to get rid of my WRTP54G it is a Linksys Vonage router that is locked so I cant upgrade the firmware. I got rid of vonage and use TMO only becouse the UMA works so well.

Yeah I have vonage right now too. Though I use it for a fax line. Do you know if there is a way to utilize hotspot for faxes somehow?

just bought the linksys extender at bestbuy so about to try that out. I was confused as the antenna's claim the same DB, but trying this one first.

well here is more to add to my aggravation. I got the linksys expander working and had a very strong signal, but for some reason the phone would not connect. Same exact error I was getting with my wrtg54x . so frustrating! Next i'll try the antennas I guess.

by the way. standing next to the tmobile router the best I get is -43db

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

What is the error that you are getting with the device. This may be a clue as the what is happening. I have set up hotspots with D-Link, tried with Belkin (but got no UMA as their firmware is gtoo restrictive and allows no customization), Linksys, and Buffalo routers. I did a quick goolge and found alot of complaints about the v2 of your Linksys router. What you may be able to do is set it as an AP and then wirelessly connect to your T-Mo router without running cat5 (I have a WDS setup in the house currently connecting all of my computers(7) and curves(2) on the same network without any wires needed). If you are going to use a 3rd party, I highly recommend DD-WRT (if your router is supported) as I am running it on my Buffalos and it is terrific. I am in no way affiliated with them, just a happy user with lots of control over my router functions now.

Hey Squeakr,

Thanks for any help. The only error I ever get is the W010 which support says is the weak signal error. Though it has full signal at all times. I was looking into DD-WRT but it is not supported on my linksys wrt54gx4 (srx400). Can you explain what you mean to set it up as an AP?

Thanks!
    Will

Some of the routers have a setting that allows the device to be used as an AP (access point), or essentially a repeater for the main client. This allows one to extend their network out to greater distances and still maintain a controlled environment. The AP connects to the main client (as the routers have stronger amps and better antennnas thatn most wifi devices) and allows you to connect to the AP and it would connect you to your network just as if you were connected to the main router's AP. A wireless router is essentially three things, an AP (access point), a hardware firewall, and a built in switch. Putting a device into AP mode makes it an AP only and uses the other features from another router (as they are not now needed on the system as the main client supports these and it causes handoff issues when they are both used a normal routers). Hope thie explainsd more in an understandable nature.

Update: turns out this is just an issue with range. I got a new phone, same issue. Got an external anetnna (didnt do anything for me), tried a netgear WPN824, same range as the tmobile. So now I have to figure out a way to put the router closer to the middle of my house using the methods described above (2 routers together).

Though does anyone know if its possible to connect the two routers wirelessly, or will I need to hard wire it through my attic or something?

Yes you can set the two up to connect wirelessly, but I believe that you will have to have the third party firmware, such as DD-WRT, as I don't believe that they are supported natively in either of your routers. I have this connection setup runnning flawlessly in my house currently, so I know it will work (I am running DD-WRT on two Buffalo routers and the setup is called WDS distribution, although you may egt the same results running an AP in repeater mode).