Hello, I've got my wifi to work at home, and at every wireless network in ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

snybole no está en línea Stack level 2

Question GPRS before WIFI

Advertisement

Hello,

I've got my wifi to work at home, and at every wireless network in general.
    But what really irritates me is that even thou I'm on wifi and start browsing my curve still uses either GPRS or EDGE before the wifi network. I'd like my phone to first use the wifi if I've got both wifi and EDGE/GPRS. Anyone who knows how this is done?

toymachinejg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24232f19

Re: GPRS before WIFI

ok ill try go to options-mobile network-connection preference change it to wifi preferred

Hm, I could find that option, I could only switch to manual selection. Meaning I'd have to choose the mobile network myself each time.

toymachinejg, might it be that my phone is different in any way? I've got a BB 8320 :-)

Anyone who's had similar problems?
    Thanks in advance

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I re checked once more to be sure I didn't miss that option but I'm sure now that I didn't. Is there none who has the same "problem" as me? Kind of annoying turning off my mobile network each time I want to surf with wifi!

Any info would be much appreciated!

tfung no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2076720F

It seems my 8320 defaults to using wifi as the preferred option, but I don't have the ability to select wifi preferred or gprs preferred under the network connection menu...

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

I have to ask where you got the device as they might not have given you guys the option. I saw a Sprint 8130 (which is supposed to have the wifi) but they had no option like you guys don't have the option. I see that you are both overseas, and that may be the clue. I dont' think that the 8820 (AT$T BB that has WIFI and GPS) has the option for wifi preferred either, but those that know for sure can chime in and verify this. Since the T-Mobile 8320 has the UMA technology, they may have given the option (as they are touting it as an alternative when you have low signal quality). Since both of you are overseas and using alternative 8320's, that feature may not be there.

I got my phone from hi-mobile which I belive get their phones from CSL, a hongkong based company. :-)

shayind4 no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Hi. 8820 UK Orange has Wifi preferred.

toymachinejg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24232f19

snybole do you have a data plan?

If you mean that I can surf using GPRS/EDGE then yes, but I have to pay for every 1MB I belive, my carrier doesnt offer unlimited plans, that's why I'm wondering about this :-)

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Sounds like you carrier may have locked out that feature in their custom settings. Short of getting a new unlocked device from another carrier that has this function enabled, or turning off the network before surfiing, I don't think it is going to happen, I am sorry to say. You may contact your carrier to see if they now how to enable it or if you just got a BUM device. Good luck.