Hi, I tried to find the best forum for this question (GPS/Mapping/Wi-Fi?), anyways here it ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

ixtab no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Google Maps "My Location" using Wi-Fi question

Advertisement

Hi,

I tried to find the best forum for this question (GPS/Mapping/Wi-Fi?), anyways here it goes.

I hope someone knows how Google actually do their Wi-Fi location identification so I can hopefully solve this issue. I tried googling around but couldn't find much info.

Problem: I used to live in NYC (happily ever after) with my home Wi-Fi connection, at the time Google Maps did not support Wi-Fi based "My Location" so life was good
    Then I moved to New Jersey and months later Google decided to release their cool Wi-Fi My Location feature and all of a sudden I am back in NYC (at least according to Google Maps on my Blackberry).
    Somehow Google managed to record and cache my NYC Wi-Fi location back at the beginning of 2008 and now it insists that my Linksys router is located in NYC and not at its new lovely location in New Jersey.

What I already tried:
    - Suspecting (but doubting) they do it by SSID, I changed mine to a brand new SSID... Result: nothing, same issue.
    - I checked and there are no left-over settings on the Linksys that might confuse Google with regards to the location (new NJ based IP address, new domain suffix)

Luckily my rent is not determined by where Google Maps think I'm at. So far it is just an annoyance having to manually enter a "My Real" Location every time I start it at home in order to find stuff that is close to where I'm really at.

Any other ideas? Any Google employee reading this that can help by forwarding this to the right team?

Thanks!
    Ix.

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    there is a website that you report your SSID info to, and you can use that access point to help find you or whoever uses it, just got to report it
    My blackberry is anti-Obama Bin Llama

VR is that a site that Google maintains? any idea where it is?

VR
    no, there is a company that maintains that database, cant think of it right now... will see if i can find it again

VR
    i think it is http://www.skyhookwireless.com/

but for some reason i cant get the webpage to come up

Thanks! interesting, so the wiki claims they do it by MAC address of the access point, went in an changed my Linksys' MAC (basically used the clone my PC MAC and modified it manually), but Google still thinks I am in NYC. Strange.

Well at least I know that if their site ever comes back I might be able to change.

Thanks VR.

VR
    i think it is along the same lines, good luck

VR
    not sure what google uses, but i think this is what the ipod uses for their google maps /shrugs

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    I have the same issue - I moved 30 miles away from where I used to live. When I fire up google maps at home, it pin-points me to exactly where I used to live!!