Hi, I have a BB 8320 with currently no data plan on the Cingular/AT&T network. ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

bb_8320 no está en línea Stack level 1

Why do I have to enter a wap/apn setting when using wifi apps?

Advertisement

Hi,

I have a BB 8320 with currently no data plan on the Cingular/AT&T network. I am able to connect to wifi networks and use a limited number of applications over wifi. I've noticed a few of them require you to enter your carrier's wap information along with their apn login/password info under options>advanced options>tcp in order to function.

What exactly are these settings for and is this now considered a data connection that the carrier will charge accordingly even though I don't have a data plan under my account?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Why do I have to enter a wap/apn setting when using wifi apps?

I'm not positive but I'm willing to take a guess. It's possibly because those apps were designed to bypass the RIM Network and use that Carriers network, but were developed prior to the release of the WiFi Capable BlackBerry devices. They still require some WAP Gateway. Don't know anything about the charges.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

I'd be careful about using any data through your carrier's gateway that you aren't paying for. Data doesn't appear from thin air and most likely on their side of the screen have some tracker for bandwidth usage. A few kbs will probably go unnoticed and uncharged, but pull enough mbs and a good chance you're seeing a nice surcharge on your future bill.

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

many programs have the options to set which transport way they should use.

For example, at my phone (8100) in Opera Mini options (at the bottom) I can set HTTP and socket).
    Socket I know for sure use APN settings, HTTP is prolly BB data plan.
    Hopefully you'll have something else there.

APN setttings are different from carriers to carriers, and you shound be able to access trough another carrier APN settings, so you can set fictive settings. (assuming, dont take it for granted)

If your paranoid, go into, options -> mobile network -> set Data Services to, NO.

Let me test this now.
    On my Trigcom (BB data plan) I have EDGE connection, turned it off, now its only edge
    On my Telenor (no BB data plan, but APN settings), I won't access internet when its turned off

So you should be safe that traffic do not go trough your carrier when data is off