It's a constant battle of switchery to annoy me into the next century..ahhh The first ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

Meh! no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me...

Edge to UMA...

Advertisement

It's a constant battle of switchery to annoy me into the next century..ahhh

The first problem is that when I am home, it constantly switches between UMA and EDGE. The first, defective, 8120 I had would always stay connected to my home wifi if I was within range. I have the settings on "wifi preferred" but it still contantly switches between the two killing data and everything on my phone for 20 or so seconds while it switches. It just wont stay UMA in the the top right corner. It is a motorola SBG900 router, or something along those lines. I wondered if it couldn't be something configured in the router wrong, but it doesn't have a pletora or settings and as I said, my last 8120 worked FINE and always stayed connected so..I am a little confused here. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Second problem, Anytime I click a link to a website in a email or a txt or anywhere...If I am not at home half connected to wifi it says that the page cannot be loaded as it is a wifi link...But thats a bunch of junk. I have BIS too so..Ive tried playing with settings, but apparently their smarter than I. So what can I do when I am NOT half connected to wifi to get it to let me open www links?

Thanks a ton guys!

Meh!

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5
    set it so you have to select the network. and what you should be doing is geting the d-link router for it to work better. thats the first thing tech support will tell you

~via BB8310 (wap.pinstack.com)~

mDRagON- no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215c161f
    Quote Originally Posted by jkai2188 View Post
    set it so you have to select the network. and what you should be doing is geting the d-link router for it to work better. thats the first thing tech support will tell you

~via BB8310 (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Where is this setting located?

the setting should be in browser under the configuration settings.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    I have done that, yet to be of avail I also contacted the maker of my router(MOTO) and I guess pretty much since I do not own a moto phone they don't give two jdsafkljdsafjkl<Insert whatever bad words you can think of> about me..bahsturds.

Im still kickin around the idea of a OS reload, or a 4.5. How hard would a reload be versus to a 4.5 upgrade?

Thanks as usual guys!

Meh!

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Reload vs OS4.5 upgrade should be about the same. You might run into some trouble with some third party apps depending on which ones you have installed. One big problem has been color pearl.

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    Well the apps I have are Autolock, BBSmart Alarms, BB Maps, CBLauncher, Facebook, JiveTalk, MiuTunes, PinStack.com Launcher, BBSmart Shortcuts, BBSmartView, SoftReset, and Viigo.. But what I still don't understand is my first defective 8120, DID NOT have this issue at all and if I was anywhere in vicinity of my home router it would stay connected like a rock to a cliff..And now this..Sigh. Im going crazy. Kieran, you always have some help to offer man. Its idiots like me that appreciate the heck out of people like you!

Thanks!

Meh!

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    I MIGHT have found a fix..As right, or wrong as this may seem. I turned off the firewall on the router for this device, set it as pass through and opened the following ports for my device on the router... 14001,810,443,4500, and 500. Heh so far device is staying solid..I set it as DMZ too. So I think that would mean my ip would show what my real IP is not a make or internal ip of my network right? But device under status it is showing my ip as **.60.205.205. And that is not a ip my router would give out, and it isn't the same ip I get at www.whatismyip.com. Im all sorts of confused, and I really have no clue what kind of dragon im unleashing here, but its working ATM so fingers are crossing..blah.

Meh!

poof..As I finished typing this the UMA went away from my phone magically again.

Does anyone have any clue how to configure a wireless router for a BB correctly? Bah!! Ive searched rim help till im blind. :-(
    Last edited by Meh!; 07-31-2008 at 04:54 AM. Reason: DOH

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    What is error W004? Thats the error it keeps throwing..Bah im gonna throw this thing off a cliff!

Well DUH it means:
    W004 - ISP error. DNS server cannot be reached

The BlackBerry smartphone cannot contact a Domain Name System (DNS) server.

But what does that translate to in English? I am bound to figure this out, but its driving me CRAZY!
    Last edited by Meh!; 07-31-2008 at 05:09 AM. Reason: DUH

tiger123sw no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207ab3
    First the IP address thing .. dont worry about that .. when you go to whats my IP that shows your address on the internet that is different from your lan adresses EX: my routers ip is 192.168.2.1 and I have "room" for 50 clients so if there are 2 computers already on the network and my BB comes home and connects to the network the BB will pick up the next avalible IP address that would be 192.168.2.4 then if you come along and connect your BBs address would be 192.168.2.5 and so on. That is NOT what is causing an issue with your droped UMA. You said your fisrt phone work fine with the router. I would leve the router set like it was, as it was doing the UMA thing just fine with the old phone. Go find an open network at Starbucks or staples or get the wep key from a friends network better yet all 3 and see how the phone works on a diferant network. It sounds to me like there is some type of interferance Bluetooth can and will mess with the wifi signal so keep that (bt) off for now. Cordless phones and even some cordless mice, wireless thromometers all can interfer with the quality of the wifi radio signal. So go find out if the phone works OUTSIDE of your network first. If not then we can look at the phones settings / OS

PIN/ID
    PM me...
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger123sw View Post
    First the IP address thing .. dont worry about that .. when you go to whats my IP that shows your address on the internet that is different from your lan adresses EX: my routers ip is 192.168.2.1 and I have "room" for 50 clients so if there are 2 computers already on the network and my BB comes home and connects to the network the BB will pick up the next avalible IP address that would be 192.168.2.4 then if you come along and connect your BBs address would be 192.168.2.5 and so on. That is NOT what is causing an issue with your droped UMA. You said your fisrt phone work fine with the router. I would leve the router set like it was, as it was doing the UMA thing just fine with the old phone. Go find an open network at Starbucks or staples or get the wep key from a friends network better yet all 3 and see how the phone works on a diferant network. It sounds to me like there is some type of interferance Bluetooth can and will mess with the wifi signal so keep that (bt) off for now. Cordless phones and even some cordless mice, wireless thromometers all can interfer with the quality of the wifi radio signal. So go find out if the phone works OUTSIDE of your network first. If not then we can look at the phones settings / OS
    Thats some good thinking. I'll have to pirate someone else internet sometime..LOL I am kidding but yes, good thinking. Also just a FYI, this is the ONLY wireless thing I have in my house, unless microwave signals count LOL. I literally have no cordless phones or anything, unless PS3 controller counts..All bluetooth and PS3 sits in a vicinity of the router, however like I said its doubtful that as it worked fine with the last phone. So try another connection and well try this again? I have even went as far as to change the channel on the router as well...hm. This is just irritating you know?

Thank a ton, and I'll get a hold of another connection soon. It's crazy though because it might stay on UMA for 5 seconds, or 5 Minutes but it sooner or later drops it. I don't have TMO's hotspot at home or any of those services, but I should still be able to make calls over WIFI and use my normal plan minutes correct?

Thanks,

BLaine

tiger123sw no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207ab3
    I don't have TMO's hotspot at home or any of those services, but I should still be able to make calls over WIFI and use my normal plan minutes correct?

***Correct***
    Last edited by tiger123sw; 07-31-2008 at 11:18 AM.

yeah youll still be able to use your plan minutes.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

puetoricensis no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249BEE90
    I have a similar problem. At home i can't maintain a stable UMA and people can't hear me when i'm on UMA. I do have my router close to some wireless mouse and keyboard. I'll give that a try. At college i can speak through the WIFI via UMA as i wuiold normally on the Tmo network. Can it also be the fact that the speed at home is 1.5MB and i'm sure the college has much higher speeds.

Any inputs???

Pueto
    PIN: 249BEE90

vinnyjr no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have the pearl 8120. My first operating system 4.3 worked great on the wifi connecton. Use it all the time because i have for the extra 10 bucks the hot spot where all calls are free thru wifi. Downloaded the new 4.5 and same thing works even better. Don't think it's your OS. Must be either your router or some setting that is wrong you may have overlooked. I have my wifi set up on automatic so as I leave the wifi area the phone will work on the regular signal. Works great, have a netgear wifi router.