If I am at work and connected to UMA, will the IT department be able ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

jbombs16 no está en línea Stack level 2

Does UMA provide secure data transmission?

Advertisement

If I am at work and connected to UMA, will the IT department be able to see my SMS's sent via the UMA service? Would my transmissions be encrypted?

The Wifi is an open wireless network.

thanks.

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    If you are on a BES yes, the SMS messages will still be logged if they have that functionality enabled. UMA is secure as it uses an encrypted channel via IPSEC

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    And actually, even if the connection is secure, you are giving IT access to any of your transmissions and conversations by using your company's network to connect. If they have data logging turned on for the network then anything you send or recieve will be stored on their servers for review at a later date should they wish. Whether or not it is in a format that their IT will be able to read depends on how the information is converted when it leaves a phone and goes onto the internet instead of the cellular network.

Zo

jbombs16 no está en línea Stack level 2
    my work does not use BES. I just have BIS. So are my sms messages encrypted? I just want to know if the IT dept. will be able to read them if they are stored on their servers.

thanks

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    I wasn't talking about BES. I was talking about their own internal servers that they use for managing their internal network. If they have it setup so that all traffic gets routed and stored on a server they maintain internally (which is probable depending on the type of business) then all your messages/email/voice calls that you place using wi-fi/uma will also be stored on their server. Whether they can read them or not depends on their IT department and how the information is encoded by the device when it is sent over the wi-fi network.

The rule to remember is that anytime you connect to someone else's network over wi-fi you take the chance of having everything you do being recorded and stored on a server depending on how they have their network setup.

Zo

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    No 100% false, the messages will NOT be able to be intercepted by your work network as the IPSEC is a trust in between the carrier and your BB itself(VPN). The traffic is encrypted on the BB and can ONLY be decrypted when it gets to the UNC (UMA Network Controller) which is maintained by the carrier. Regardless of whether you use a open wifi network it is not possible for your company to interecept the messages via UMA unless they are using BES or a third party tool which you have stated that they are not.