Really wanted to know this because the EDGE nettwork in the mornin and the early ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

HEXED no está en línea Stack level 2

Does the 8100 Pearl have WiFi connection?

Advertisement

Really wanted to know this because the EDGE nettwork in the mornin and the early evenin just be so cluttered. Everybody and their baby mama's be on their damn phones! Plus I like WiFi its tight and faster! So what's the info?
    Sir Anthony

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: Does the 8100 Pearl have WiFi connection?

No, it doesn't.

Really wanted to know this because the EDGE nettwork in the mornin and the early evenin just be so cluttered. Everybody and their baby mama's be on their damn phones! Plus I like WiFi its tight and faster! So what's the info

Dude if it did that'll be the icin on the cake!

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

WiFi is supposedly going to be avaliable on the new round of 8800's, however, for me, wifi is worthless. I just want carriers to upgrade to 3G

Moridar no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    302686bc

I googled 3G wireless to find out more about what is it about and wow! Lucky if it is here before the end of the decade.
    http://www.fcc.gov/3G/

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3

Carriers have been holding back wifi cause they will loose money for data. Cingular has got the nokia e62 witch is a nokia e61 without wifi

bendite no está en línea Stack level 2

I'd like wifi to test network connectivity and functionality without having to pull out my laptop. I am sure we will see it sooner than later...I am sure I will be buying a new phone when it is available on BB

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Here is an example of why wifi wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. Yeah, its nice to have, but the functionality of it is hit or miss. Like I have said before...Lets get on the carriers about producing a 3G network.

Here is why I am against everyone saying WiFi is NEEDED on the devices.

Here is a map of Chicago showing WiFi Coverage Spots. From a distance it looks as if the entire city would have WiFi access:

Now let's zoom in a little closer on the downtown area:

As you can see, the WiFi coverage zones are started to look a little less and less dense as you zoom in on the areas.

Now even closer:

Now you can start to realize how unstable WiFi really would be for those who would try and utilize it, especially while being on the move. For those people trying to utilize their WiFi connection in their office, of course, it would be great.

But now also add in how many WiFi hotspots overlap each other, are password locked and are Pay To Use.

I am sure those of you who live in a city like Chicago or New York or San Fransisco can attest to the fact that if you are driving around with your laptop hooked up trying to get a wireless connection, or using something such as an IPAQ which is WiFi enabled, then you are constantly getting notifications pop up stating that a new connection is avaliable every 10 seconds and trying to log onto WiFi connections that are password locked.

Like I said, would it be good for someone walking around their office trying to use it? Sure. But in all honesty, how many of us "typical consumers" would it really benefit? Because I am guessing that most of us are believing that if our phones are WiFi enabled, then we are going to be able to just hop on to a WiFi network and go wherever we please and always be connected. This is simply not the case.

If you would like to check out more WiFi in other areas to see if it would really benefit you, check out www.wifimaps.com or just google WiFi Maps.

Here are two more cities as an example:
    Witchita, KS

Sacramento, CA

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Good point N8. As you know, I am in Wichita. There is not a wifi spot near where I live or work. So I see what you are saying about 3G. And I also agree with you, it is the way to go. Forget WIFI all together.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Let's expand a little bit on what I wrote earlier:

I did a search on the WiFi Connections shown in the above map of Chicago.
    I used Stetson Avenue as an example, because it sits pretty much in the middle of that coverage map there, and mapped out WiFi hotspots, both free and pay, and here are the results.

I used the 324-399 Block of Stetson Avenue. I put in a radius search of 5 miles from that block, and here are the results:

362 Total WiFi Connectivity Points
    21 FREE connectivity points
    341 PAY connectivity points

The main pay connectivity providers were:
    WayPort ($49.95/month)
    TMobile ($29.99/month)
    Boingo ($21.95/month)

Obviously there are other, smaller providers, and rate plans can vary from prepaid amounts to yearly subscriptions.

Now my question. I am going to use TMobile as an example:

Data service is $19.99 a month right now for EDGE coverage. If you have a WiFi equipped Blackberry, are you prepared to pay an extra $29.99 a month in order to be able to access TMobile HotSpots?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Excellent Points N8. Thanks for the research.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Thanks, I decided to make another post about it on it's own to get opions and ideas from everyone.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...lly_great.html

ibrg no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Let's expand a little bit on what I wrote earlier:

I did a search on the WiFi Connections shown in the above map of Chicago.ccess...
    Some points to make for Wi-Fi.
    a. More cities are gearing up for a complete city coverage.
    b. Wi-Fi is only an alternative to phone coverage; phone users should be able to access the Internet and email both ways.
    c. Wi-Fi is speedier than EDGE (Sprint might boasts that EVDO is faster yet).