I have a BB 8320 that works perfectly in a Starbucks or on my home's ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

123fljoe no está en línea Stack level 1

Can't access wifi in hospital

Advertisement

I have a BB 8320 that works perfectly in a Starbucks or on my home's WiFi network, but can not access the WiFi network within the hospital I work in. Any help?

P.S. the hospitals IT guys have been useless so far.

Thanks

ego1138 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'm assuming that there's some sort of security on the network at the hospital. Are you sure you're inputting the correct passkey, and using the correct encryption levels?? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but, typically that's what it comes down to . . . especially i fyou can connect fine to other wifi networks.

sweet_pants no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Jus Ask
    I will totally agree. I speak only b/c @ the hospital that I currently work @ our patients are not allowed to bring in laptops and access our network via wireless. They are nervous that someone will come in with a nasty virus and infect the whole system of the hospital and they just cant have that happen.

This could totally b the reason...
    "It Is What It Is"

mew
    mew no está en línea Stack level 2
    in that case, maybe they have mac filtering

pshift no está en línea Stack level 3
    Most likely MAC filtering is used. Looks unsecure but you cannot connect unless they have the MAC address for your device set to allow access.

ego1138 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I guess should have asked the original poster if they're actually SUPPOSED to be logging into this wireless network or not.

And if the hospital is worried about security and the IT people know their stuff, they wouldn't be using just MAC filtering . . . . that doesn't take long to fool at all. (although, I don't think you could do it on your BB) hehehe

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Yeah I bet they are not supposed to be on it. Usually hospitals that have open wifi, have info to explain everything and then its easy to get online.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Thanks for all the input.

The Wifi network is open and designed for guests and patients.

There is no password needed. When i bring my laptop to work and click on Firefox or explorer, an intro page pops up that is basically a release form and once you accept the terms, you are free to use the internet.

In addition, i have colleagues who have iPhones who are on the Wifi network all day wihtout issue.

Help!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Describe what happens when you open the Setup Wi-Fi>(next) and "scan for networks" - what do you turn up? If there's a wi-fi network in the hospital that is within range you should get the name of it and the opportunity to connect. What do you get?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

When i go to set up wifi, the BB finds the network and connects to it (supposedly) but the wifi icon remains "grayed" out and when I try to get onto the internet I'm told that no data communication is available/possible

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Do you get the "acceptance page" when you open up your BB browser? The reason the iPhone is working without issue is because they have a full browser (Safari) which gets them past the initial login for the internet. Have you tried using Opera Mini to get you past the initial login and then use the Wi-Fi as you wish?
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE