Sorry if this has been posted but I have searched a bit and cannot find ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

agood214 no está en línea Stack level 1

At&t To Tmo Transition And Uma Coverage At Starbucks

Advertisement

Sorry if this has been posted but I have searched a bit and cannot find a good answer.

I am running into an issue and after 5 hours of "Tech support" with Tmobile and RIM I need the experts in this community to chime in.

I've done a bit of searching and not gotten a definitive answer as of yet.

I have an 8320 curve that has been until fairly recently (6 - 8 weeks) working fine on UMA in Starbucks.
    It works fine in H@H via my routers, one T-moble and one not, and also via mutiple work location and open routers.
    The 8320 goes directly into UMA mode in about a minute and I'm off to the races without much of a hitch, or any real issue to complain of.

Customer no service demanded I update the firmware to 4.5.0.81 even though I have duplicated the results that no matter which Starbucks in the Westside of Southern California I go to UMA mode is not avaialble for calls.
    I then went and set up at Starbucks for another hour diagnosing and being cut off with Tmobile again, yuck.

I turned off the mobile network while at Starbucks and got error W010 and a message to the effect some networks may require a sign on.

I got through to one RIM Technician who stated that he did not know why they had not told me this four hours ago, but the roaming agreement did not cover UMA and any hotspot that had a log in was not supported. He was very clear on this and said that although there was a roaming agreement - the other carrier had not committed to carry UMA traffic and there was no agreement in place.

I asked him to verify, he placed me on hold, went to verify , came back and said yes and as we were opening a "case" he cut off

So folks have we lost access to 7,000 locations and T-mobie is playing dumber than usual - or is this localized - or - or - or ???

I appreciate any help

I ran diagnostics in two locations and this is what I got:
    ==
    Wi-Fi
    Current Profile: attwifi
    SSID: attwifi
    AP MAC Address: 00:1E:13:43:970
    Security Type: Open
    Local IP Address: 192.168.5.230
    Signal Level: -68 dBm
    Connection Data Rate: 54 Mbps

VPN
    Current Profile:
    Concentrator Address:
    Authentication: Error
    Secure Device IP:

UMA
    Connection Pref.: Wi-Fi Preferred
    UMA Wi-Fi Available: Successful
    Connection: Successful
    Error Code:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
    Connecting: Error
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A
    =====
    Wi-Fi
    Current Profile: attwifi
    SSID: attwifi
    AP MAC Address: 00:1A:30:66:A1:70
    Security Type: Open
    Local IP Address: 10.208.19.228
    Signal Level: -88 dBm
    Connection Data Rate: 54 Mbps

VPN
    Current Profile:
    Concentrator Address:
    Authentication: Error
    Secure Device IP:

UMA
    Connection Pref.: Wi-Fi Preferred
    UMA Wi-Fi Available: Successful
    Connection: Successful
    Error Code:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
    Connecting: Trying...
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    If (one of your) questions is 'Is Starbucks no longer a hot spot free to T-Mobile?' I believe that is correct. They used to be but I think I read somewhere that they had moved to a contract with AT&T. Does that help? Sorry but it's been a couple of months since I saw that in the paper I think - don't know whether it's taken place or not but I believe that it has.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Sharky147 no está en línea Stack level 3

Smile

I went to Starbucks website and this is what I got from it...

Current T-Mobile subscribers Continue to enjoy full internet access at Starbucks stores , through a roaming agreement with AT&T. T-Mobile customers will not incur extra charges to use the Starbucks/AT&T network.

More info on their site at..

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/wireless.asp

Hope this helps.

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846
    I can confirm the thing about networks requiring a log in not being UMA compatible. I run into the same problem at my college campus since they want to make sure that only students and the university's employees can use the wifi.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky147 View Post
    I went to Starbucks website and this is what I got from it...

Current T-Mobile subscribers Continue to enjoy full internet access at Starbucks stores , through a roaming agreement with AT&T. T-Mobile customers will not incur extra charges to use the Starbucks/AT&T network.

More info on their site at..

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/wireless.asp

Hope this helps.
    That helps a lot Sharky. Obviously I was "fuzzy" on the article that I read but it said something about the T-mobile contract going to AT&T - didn't know that AT&T was going to let T-Mo users continue to use it. Wonder if that'll last?

UPDATE: I see that it's not actually free...but cheap. It looks like if you're a T-Mo subscriber OR you're an AT&T subscriber, i.e., you you've got their "rewards" card, you get up to two consecutive hours a day. Otherwise you can subscribe and get it. Good grief! :s
    Last edited by jblackfish; 10-27-2008 at 02:09 PM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by XLiMBS View Post
    I can confirm the thing about networks requiring a log in not being UMA compatible. I run into the same problem at my college campus since they want to make sure that only students and the university's employees can use the wifi.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Funny, I've had no issues with such networks. I connect to the network, do the hotspot login via the WiFi browser, and UMA connects within a minute.

agood214 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyth View Post
    Funny, I've had no issues with such networks. I connect to the network, do the hotspot login via the WiFi browser, and UMA connects within a minute.
    Thanks for the replies. It used to be that there was no need to log in at all I'm only talking about phone calls and not browsing. So for hotspot login as described above is there a password and is that part of the 19.99 hotspot package versus the H@H package. ? T-mobile itself seems to be in no way clear on what the behavior must be here one representative says it works the next one says it does not.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    I was talking in general about wireless networks that require HTTP login. Many universities have those sorts of networks. When you connect, your device can only communicate with an internal authentication system, or the gateway device. Once you are authenticated, you are given full access to the Internet.

Usually, when you connect to one of these networks and launch a browser, you are automatically redirected to a login page. Having to use an HTTP authenticator itself doesn't stop UMA from working (since I use such networks to make calls from the basements of university buildings). It is, however, possible that some hot-spots and wireless networks restrict the sort of traffic on the network, which could prevent UMA from connecting.

I don't know the details of the package that you are referring to, though, sorry.