I'm testing a 8820 on Rogers and I have the following problem. - with Data ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

bacid no está en línea Stack level 1

8820 WIFI Problem

Advertisement

I'm testing a 8820 on Rogers and I have the following problem.

- with Data Services set to OFF under the Mobile Network Options I can see/authenticate to WIFI but there is a error showing IP Address not available. However, I can see the BB on my WIFI router, I can ping it, get responses, AND see the BB data arrows showing that data is going back/forth. If I try to use the PING command under WIFI Diagnostics it won't work because Device IP shows as 0.0.0.0

- with Data Services set to ON under the Mobile Network Options I have a valid IP from the WIFI router and am able to PING out, however, when I use data services NONE of them go over the WIFI link and instead go over the Mobile link. I know this because I'm looking looking at the routers realtime packet transfers.

Am I see these problems because the provider is blocking WIFI? Is this possible? I'm not on a BB plan as my normal phone is a RAZR, I'm testing this because I may be setting up a BES server and figured I'd play aroudn with the phone to see how I like it.

BTW. I'm using the latest AT&T firmware from the BB site

Re: 8820 WIFI Problem

UPDATE: If I remove the SIM card w/ Data Services (Under Mobile Options) disabled, I have the same problem in that IP Address shows "Not Available". Now, according to the BB manual this option is strictly for Wireless, doesn't make any mention that it should matter for WIFI!

However, if I enable Data Services (SIM Card is still removed) then I can browse over WIFI with no problem.

So the question, why is the browsing default to Edge while the SIM card is in EVEN THOUGH WIFI is connected??

FIXED... reloaded OS and it's OK.. browsing goes through WIFI now.. it's a little worrying however that Data Services has to be enabled.. how can one be assured that WIFI is always being used and not Mobile Data?
    Last edited by bacid; 09-22-2007 at 03:30 PM.

shawnfb no está en línea Stack level 1

same here, My phone data services has to be connected, then the "EDGE" symbol is displayed, The connection states that wifi is avaiable and connected, but the wifi speed is horrible.
    compared to my iphone seeking the same site in the same wifi connection, it isnt even a close match at all, the iphone wifi completes the page 20 seconds ahead of the 8820!!
    This leads me to believe that the wifi connection is either not picking up the service.
    seems like the wifi will work ONLY if the data connection is on BUT out of range or.... I just don't know.. all I can say is that the 8820 wifi connection /speed is very very dicey.

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by bacid
    FIXED... reloaded OS and it's OK.. browsing goes through WIFI now.. it's a little worrying however that Data Services has to be enabled.. how can one be assured that WIFI is always being used and not Mobile Data?
    Im not sure if this what you're asking about but I heard Wi-Fi was "neutered" to only work when one has a data plan... I guess to ensure they dont lose business because ppl would opt to just use WiFi... not really sure if that was true though.

mark986 no está en línea Stack level 2

To the above post, you do not need a data plan to use the WiFi. You just have to enable the data setting to be able to load websites and what not.

getmetty no está en línea Stack level 1

There is a document up on the BlackBerry.com website that describes the connection options and priorities when using Wi-Fi and Edge. It references the 8820, but is applicable to 8320 also.

na.blackberry.com/eng/ataglance/networks/Access_BlackBerry_Data Services_Via_Wi-Fi.pdf

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by mark986
    To the above post, you do not need a data plan to use the WiFi. You just have to enable the data setting to be able to load websites and what not.
    ahh ok, thanks.

HughH no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by mark986
    I have a data plan but if I disable "Mobile Network" but leave Wi-Fi enabled in the Connection Manager I can send email but still can't browse. How do I enable the data setting you are referring to?

(Still kind of a Blackberry newbie)

Hugh

peezyfbaby no está en línea Stack level 1
    Had the same trouble as most people on here so i signed up and messed around with my phone for a couple hours... changed the default browser from media net to wifi BROWSER...wifi works like a charm now...I found it does not seem work with data services turned off, but does that mean I am getting charged for using data over wifi? I never agreed to a data service plan so I really hope keeping it(data services) on does not charge me. Hope this helps and if anyone knows if at&t can charge me just for having the data serviced option ON please reply.