I bought an 8320 over the weekend and have noticed at my desk at work ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

J. Thompson no está en línea Stack level 3

3 rd party Wi-fi Router and corporate networking

Advertisement

I bought an 8320 over the weekend and have noticed at my desk at work that I get piss poor reception for my BB. It has spend the vast majority of the morning in an "SOS:" state.

We are on a network of course for all of our computers and have a LEAP wireless system also, but the company frowns on outside devices other than company approved on that wireless network.

I was wondering if I could buy an Linksys router from T-mobile or somewhere else and hook it up to my desktop computer and use that to improve my signal reception and use the wi-fi capabilities for data and voice. Kind of like my own personal wifi connection as I spend 90% of my day in and around my desk.

I guess running the ethernet cable to the router and then plugging into my computer.

If something in these questions doesn't make sense or needs clarification, then just ask me. I am not real saavy when it comes to wifi and different types of networking.

TedB no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AF2BA8

Re: 3 rd party Wi-fi Router and corporate networking

If the company frowns upon unapproved devices (BB) on their network, then probably they would frown even more upon a router. No matter what you do, you will be connecting to and using their network as an access point. No real way around that.

J. Thompson no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: 3 rd party Wi-fi Router and corporate networking

Thanks!!

I found out the answer here just a few minutes ago. While it will work and improve my reception, the Cisco wireless system will over ride (defeat) my personal router.