Hello all, sorry if this has been addressed before. I'll try to keep my story ... Microsoft Windows forum

AKT6168 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24822CEB

Thumbs down Windows will not mount Pearl as drive in "My Computer"

Advertisement

Hello all, sorry if this has been addressed before. I'll try to keep my story short. My wife and I about 3 weeks ago both upgraded to the 8100 Pearl on our T-Mobile account. We both really love it. I realized a problem this afternoon when I was updating her firmware on her phone for her. When I plugged her phone into her computer it threw up a message saying something about having mass storage turned on. I wondered to myself why I had never seen that message when I plugged my Pearl into my computer. I realized that on her computer under "My Computer" the Pearl was added as a drive that could be browsed and dragged and dropped too. When I did the same thing with my Pearl connected to my computer I never got the message telling me about mass storage and it never showed up in "My Computer". Also I noticed that it did show up in my "Device Manager" but it did not show up in the "Remove Hardware Safely" area where it shows the USB devices currently active. My wife's Pear did show up in "Remove Hardware Safely" area as well as in her Device Manager. I double checked all the settings on my phone against her phone for the media card. I had all the same settings set on my phone for enabling mass storage support that she did on her phone. I ended up spending 2 hours on the phone with a RIM support tech in Canada that I was transferred too from the T-Mobile BlackBerry support when I called T-Mobile. After exhausting every avenue including formatting my phone back to factory specs he came to the conclusion there is some kind of a hardware issue with my phone. The weird thing about all of this is that the BlackBerry desktop manager can recognise and transfer files to my phone with no problem at all. It is just with Windows not mounting the phone in "My Computer". I even tried switching my Micro-SD card into my wife's phone and her card into mine and it still didn't work. Her phone with my card in it mounted fine. I even tried connecting my phone to her computer.. no luck there either. I ended up calling back T-Mobile and since I live in California I am able, under this states laws to return my phone for a refund and then re-order a brand new phone. If I had waited past 30 day there is a 95% chance they would have sent me a refurbished phone. Anyway I apologize for the long story and I wonder if anyone else has had this same issue. I can't find any information on the Internet anywhere. Thanks for reading.
    "I can resist anything but temptation."

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    Hello and welcome to the Stacks

one quick note please break future posts into paragraphs you wil get more and better responses if the stackers can read it easier, thanks.

When you go to options>advanced options>media card
    make sure your settings are the following:

Media card support: on
    Encryption mode: none
    Mass storage mode: on
    Auto enable mass storage mode when connected: yes

And of course you need to have a Micro SD card in your pearl

If that doesnt work I would get the phone exchanged, other than t-mobile RIM the maker of the phone also has a 1 year warranty.

AKT6168 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24822CEB
    Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    one quick note please break future posts into paragraphs you will get more and better responses if the stackers can read it easier, thanks.
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Sorry for the long run on sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    When you go to options>advanced options>media card
    make sure your settings are the following:

Media card support: on
    Encryption mode: none
    Mass storage mode: on
    Auto enable mass storage mode when connected: yes

And of course you need to have a Micro SD card in your pearl

If that doesn't work I would get the phone exchanged, other than t-mobile RIM the maker of the phone also has a 1 year warranty.
    I've tried all those settings to no avail. I am sending the phone back to T-Mobile under warranty.

Thanks for the help.
    "I can resist anything but temptation."

Szadzik no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E23EA8
    Quote Originally Posted by AKT6168
    I've tried all those settings to no avail. I am sending the phone back to T-Mobile under warranty.

Thanks for the help.
    I don't think changing to a new phone will help. It does not have to be you phone's problem, but rather your computer's problem, which you have to resolve yourself.
    Phone Tales:
    OT MaxDB, CD1, CD5, J5, GD96, ME45, T68i, X6, CX65, A925, E398, MPx200, X6-2, OT715, D600E, W810, M600i BB Pear + Axim x51v

PeterGB no está en línea Stack level 1
    If I understand correctly:

Your Card + Your Phone + Your PC = Fail
    Your Card + Your Phone + Wife's PC = Fail
    Your Card + Wife's Phone + Your PC = Success
    Your Card + Wife's Phone + Wife's PC = Success
    Wife's Card + Your Phone + Your PC = Fail
    Wife's Card + Your Phone + Wife's PC = Fail
    Wife's Card + Wife's Phone + Your PC = Success
    Wife's Card + Wife's Phone + Wife's PC = Success

If my assumption is accurate and if you are sure that the settings on phones pc's really are the same then the implication would be that the phone is at fault.

Note: it is very difficult not to get really annoyed with a situation like this so its critical to make sure your calm and work through it methodically.

Make sure you've ticked off every permutation above and that the setting really are the same on both phones and preferably that both pcs are running the same os.

Hope that helps

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    AKT6168, Welcome to PinStack.

I think given what you have said, and the fact that the RIM Technician suggests a hardware problem, I wouldn't wait for anymore advice here, but to trade it in for a new one.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles