I recently purchased a Dell XPS M1530 laptop with Vista Home Premium. Automatic updates keeps ... Microsoft Windows forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Advertisement

I recently purchased a Dell XPS M1530 laptop with Vista Home Premium. Automatic updates keeps telling me I need to download SP1, which I've tried to do twice now and have bricked my laptop doing so.

The first try, I spent a couple minutes on the phone with Dell, who informed me that I'd need to call Microsoft support. After spending an hour on the phone with them, we got the laptop back to the restore point. Their recommendation was that I completely uninstall my anti-virus software and try the SP1 install again. Didn't make much sense to me, but I just left it at that.

Well, once again, the automatic update came in for SP1 and while I didn't uninstall the anti-virus software, I disabled it this time around, but encountered the same result. This time, however, I took the time to write down where it looked like what was causing the install to fail. I googled the information and found that others had also encountered this issue, which seems to be a corrupted file (JNWDRV.dll). One person suggested renaming the file with a .old extension and then retrying the install, which I tried but was informed that "access is denied".

Anyway, just wanted to run this by my fellow Stackers to see if any of the MS Pros have some advice as to how I should proceed. I am a MAP subscriber and have thought about just replacing the Home Premium OS with the Business OS since I've been running that on another laptop with absolutely no issues.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, with thanks in advance!

Roger

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I have Vista Ultimate, and as you say the updates roll in regularly. Most of the time they will not download or update the computer. I have googled and found ways to download and 90% of the time it says it does not apply to my Operating system yet I can't get rid of them, go figure

amcat no está en línea Stack level 3
    I found that downloading the updates directly to my desktop, then installing them one-by-one, eliminated the failed updates. I don't know if this will help, but it might be worth a shot.

Here is the link to the Microsoft Download Center: Here

Quote Originally Posted by amcat View Post
    I found that downloading the updates directly to my desktop, then installing them one-by-one, eliminated the failed updates. I don't know if this will help, but it might be worth a shot.

Here is the link to the Microsoft Download Center: Here
    Thanks. I don't have a problem with the smaller updates, but this one just so happens to be a MAJOR upgrade to the OS and it won't install without bricking my laptop.

amcat no está en línea Stack level 3
    I can't get the (1) update to work which actually allows you to download SP1 for Vista. I've tried everything on the net but I always get the "Update failed to install and will be reverting to your old settings" crap. And that's after about 30 minutes each time trying to get the update patch to install. I gave up on it!

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    My brother and best friend have had a nightmare w/Vista, so have millions....the solution: Downgrade to XP. They both have not have any more issues...even w/ sync.

WizeGi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249ed774
    We are running Vista in the office w/ no issues on SP1.

I would get a clean copy of Vista w/ SP1 already loaded or slipstream a copy and reload the machine.

We actually have a few 1530s here and they are all running fine. I am on a 1730 with no problems.

onedoteight no está en línea Stack level 2
    you have a problem with something conflicting with SP1 not a surprise either. The same thing is happening with XP SP3. What anti virus are you using. I have heard there is an issue with Avast and SP1 for Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by onedoteight View Post
    you have a problem with something conflicting with SP1 not a surprise either. The same thing is happening with XP SP3. What anti virus are you using. I have heard there is an issue with Avast and SP1 for Vista.
    PC-Cillin