Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone planing on jumping on Windows 7? I'm due for my 2yr notebook upgrade. Going ... Microsoft Windows forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Windows 7 - Are you hopeful or doubtful?

Advertisement

Anyone planing on jumping on Windows 7? I'm due for my 2yr notebook upgrade. Going from Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad T60 to the Thinkpad T410s which launches in Jan/Feb and I'm pretty sure Win 7 will be pre-installed. (Had the T40p before that). LOVE Thinkpads!

I had Vista and downgraded to XP (current on all PC's). Vista was too big of a pain and a bad concept overall to ever be improved upon. It does seems that with Windows 7 they listened to the complaints and I'm feeling a lot better about this OS from reading around the web. Seems like the groud up is a lot differn't, eh more smartphone-like if you like. jk

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Just upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate. Seamless upgrade, though I probably should have just done a clean install instead of an upgrade.

It's been a couple of weeks and I have no complaints. Boots fast, lots of neat features I haven't even begun to explore yet. Though I never had any issues with Vista, I think people will really like "7".

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    Been using Win 7 since it was available for download on our licensing portal. I would go x64 if your hardware supports is. If you use Cisco VPN client and are concerned about that use http://shrew.net/ The RC client supports all versions of Win 7 and it imports your pcf files. It does work and I currently use it all the time to connecto to my corporate network. If you have any questions pm me.

Allwin no está en línea Stack level 2
    Anyone know how much the upgrade is going to cost? I am using the RC1 now and like it but I'm also thinking of jumping ship to a Mac.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I've been using it for a few months now and think it's much better than Vista. I'm going to buy it but it's not going to take me away from Mac OS X. I have it installed on my MBP just in case I run into a "Windows only" situation.

It's hard to beat a Mac that can run both and considering Windows actually runs faster on a Mac its a bonus.
    It is certainly much better than Vista and would not hesitate to make the jump if your a Windows person. You will like it.

Posted via smartphone

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Been running it for a while myself and like Roger I never has Vista issues but I do like 7 much better. My preorder price was going to be 129 until I bought our new Laptops and canceled the order. Mine was free the wifes was 12 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by MWPatterson View Post
    Been using Win 7 since it was available for download on our licensing portal. I would go x64 if your hardware supports is. If you use Cisco VPN client and are concerned about that use http://shrew.net/ The RC client supports all versions of Win 7 and it imports your pcf files. It does work and I currently use it all the time to connecto to my corporate network. If you have any questions pm me.
    Why do you recommend the x64?

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Speed, Speed, Speed.
    That is why I run it, It is nice onlike the Mac OS X or Snow Leopard which will not run x32 apps in the x64 mode. The only thing that caused me problems was the VPN client and Shew Soft fixes that since we are not running an ASA device for our VPN connection.
    When I boot up it takes about 30-40 sec since I have alot installed. From sleep it takes about 5 sec.
    If you are running ESX vSphere you also have to hack it to work under x64 but for me it is worth it. We have everyone at work switching to Win 7 going x64 due to memory and speed.

dakid2k6 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm thinking about getting it. I have vista and used it for close to 2 years and I haven't had major issues with it. I'm actually working their release party tomorrow here in new york. I got my fingers crossed I get a free copy of windows 7 lol.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Have a read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit#32_vs_64_bit

I don't think the average computer user or even some advanced computer users need 64-bit. They end up just spending more money on the OS and on RAM than they ever will be using since 32-bit makes more efficient/less powerful use of RAM for most things like word processing, web surfing, picture viewing and email. All of those are NOT processor-intensive and the 32/64 bit difference wouldn't be noticed at all!

64 bit makes sense on servers mostly and IF you run stuff like data encryption software, video editing and encoding (assuming that your video editing program even supports 64 bit ) and other memory-intensive software applications. 32 bit machines can access/make use of a MAX of 4 gigabytes of memory and even then, not all of that will be used in most cases. Where as a 64-bit box can access over 17 billion gigabytes! (em, errr! supercomputing!).

If you absolutely make use of more than 3GBs - 4GBs then a 64 bit machine is the way to go. Most people don't and are simply suckered into spending more over all for no gains but incompatibilities. I have 3GBs on my notebook and according to task manager (see below attachment) it shows 1.01GB in use. The funny thing is that 64 bit can't even run on 3GBs of RAM so I would end up wasting money to end up with probably 1.5GB used of 4GBs. Hm, I would prefer to put any extra cash in things like solid state drives and faster CPUs. But that justs my 2 cents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    i have held off bc vista stinks, waiting for "7"
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Thanks for all the great info, fellas!

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    been using 7 for a few weeks now...no complaints here. much better than vista...and i didn't have a ton of problems with it just the few stability issues with it.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    thats interesting hayden because it seems that more and more computers are 64bit quad core computers... its almost difficult to find a 32bit machine anymore.

To keep on topic, I have been using RC1 of win7 without ever having it crash for say... 4months? And I haven't had a lot of problems with Vista [after sp1]

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    I just did a clean install of 7 today, and I'm in love with it! I got 7 Pro for $45 (student promotion ). With Vista, whenever I would install updates, I'd walk away, get a cup of coffee, come back and it wouldn't even be at the logon screen yet. I downloaded a few updates earlier, turned for a minute to work on my gf's pc, looked back and I was up and running. Overall, it just feels faster and better (so much for a technical description).

BTW, I'm on a Dell Studio 1735, Pentium Dual Core 1.87 ghz with 3gb RAM.
    Proof of absence is not absence of proof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast