Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79

Well, if you are like me and like trying new things, go for it, but ... Microsoft Windows forum

  1. #61
    Wilfred's Avatar
    Wilfred no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PIN/ID
    2138A139
    Posts
    78

    Advertisement



    Well, if you are like me and like trying new things, go for it, but ready 4GB of RAM to play with.

    I went Vista and now I like it better than XP (once you go Vista you wont go back). This is just because the toys and gadgets that the system has, but it does make any fast XP system crawl with it.

    If you are not in a rush then forget it, Vista is not going to be supported soon since Microsoft dropped it to make space for its new OS called Windows 7.


  2. #62
    kingrykku27's Avatar
    kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    Posts
    568
    Stay with XP. I downgraded from Vista, and I'm happy.

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  3. #63
    dallas1125's Avatar
    dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Posts
    1,610
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Ok, thanks everyone! Your opinions have been very helpful!

  4. #64
    wibbly's Avatar
    wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    221
    Running Vista 64 on a desktop and Vista on 2 laptops. Slowest is a laptop with a 1.8GHz Core2 processor and 2GB RAM. No real isses with Vista 64 or Vista and any version of DM I've tried.

    It's not perfect but, for me, certainly no worse than XP - just different and possibly *more* stable. I know others' mileage varies, so it's possibly more hardware dependant than XP. I use a number of peripherals.


  5. #65
    Wilfred's Avatar
    Wilfred no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PIN/ID
    2138A139
    Posts
    78
    I'm running Vista 64 8GB RAM on my desktop and Vista 32bit on my laptop, I moved because I like the new tools and gadgets, I fell lost when back to XP, but I agree XP is a more stable and solid OS.

    Vista SP1 completely destroyed my Active Directory administration tools, now I no longer have GPMC editor, I manged to add Exchange tools to Vista 64/32 using ORCA (a Microsoft tool OneRealCoolTool stands for).

    So if you expect peformance do NOT count on Vista, stay on XP, besides, Vista is being dropped next year to open for the new Microsoft Windows 7 that will replace Vista.

  6. #66
    dallas1125's Avatar
    dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Posts
    1,610
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Ok, thanks again!

  7. #67
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    I went Vista and now I like it better than XP (once you go Vista you wont go back). This is just because the toys and gadgets that the system has, but it does make any fast XP system crawl with it.
    When one "upgrades" to Vista on a computer currently running XP, the system runs much slower due to all the of the resources required by Vista. It goes far beyond what most people realize, as Vista has quite a negative impact on any computer. This is why the corporate world has banned it with very few exceptions. This alone proves Vista is largely useless for serious computing. However that said, it you are looking for a fun box, and entertainment device of sorts, like a large iPod then Vista will indeed entertain you with it's colorful array of "toys".

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    If you are not in a rush then forget it, Vista is not going to be supported soon since Microsoft dropped it to make space for its new OS called Windows 7.

    Personally I would avoid Vista like the flu. Reason being it's been widely documented as the biggest flop created my Microsoft to date. Spurned by the OEM computer manufacturers since the business community rejected it, Microsoft also experienced serious push back from the individual users and power users in the public domain. I speak from experience as I also tried and dumped Vista. After spending millions of dollars in an attempt to force it down the throat of the public, MS finally got honest with themselves and did a silent U-turn.

    MS is currently working feverishly to dump Vista, and replace it with Windows 7 as quickly as possible. Thus Vista users will have wasted a tremendous amount of money and time, only to find their OS obsolete faster than any other OS in the history of Microsoft.

    Bottom line.... If you are running XP, be sure to update it to SP3 (service pack three, available free on the MS site) and enjoy the fastest, best version of Windows to date. Finally, once Windows 7 is released I would highly suggest that users avoid it for at least 90 days. Read the reports once it's in the hands of the users. Let them be the victims of bugs until it's sorted out, then buy it.

    I currently prefer Ubuntu Linux ver. 8.04.1, as my main Operating System.
    Ubuntu Linux is very fast as compared to windows. On my fully loaded ThinkPad T60p workstation class laptop XP takes just over 2 minutes to boot up, whereas Ubuntu Linux boots in just 18 seconds. Once booted it's also considerably faster and more stable than windows, therefore saving much valuable time. Being free, and including OpenOffice, a MS compatible office suite (also free) I would highly suggest that users unhappy with windows give it a try.



    Cheers......


  8. #68
    dallas1125's Avatar
    dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Posts
    1,610
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Wow, you guys have all the info I need!

  9. #69
    onedoteight's Avatar
    onedoteight no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    40
    The question is what do you do with your system. Vista is not as bad as what everybody says. I wonder how many of the people here have even used Vista and if they have I wonder how many of the issues they caused themselves not even knowing they caused it. The reason it is so "bad" is because that is what the IT people say and their reason is the only reason that is legit. The rest of the reasons are from ignorance. IT people have the biggest problem with it because now they are having to work again on the networks they have spent so much precious time on. For home users if you had it installed and it crashed more than likely it was something you did. XP crashes way more than Vista. Vista is truly more stable and probably the most thought out Microsoft products ever written. Yeah it is slower on a system that runs well with XP. Why is that because the computer indutry as a whole is changing. Everything in the next few years will be going to 64bit so it will not matter if you run XP or Vista with the right system Vista runs just a fast a Vista. If you say different then you obviously do not work help desk. If you have a system that is a couple of years old and you don't want to upgrade that system then do not run it as it will be too much for your system. Do not run vista with less than 2GB of RAM. 4GB of Ram is your best bet and for newer systems is not that expensive. If you do decide to run Vista make sure you know what you are installing on it. If you install something that is XP compatible and not Vista compatible than you are going to have major problems. If you decide to run Vista install Ultimate so you can have all of the features. I personally am running Linux 64bit and Vista and really have no problems with either. If you are going to do anything that is resource intensive either run 64 bit Vista or XP. Here's the other thing people who want to wait on Windows 7 go ahead but guess what its going to basically be a Vista update since it is built off of the same framework as Vista. Thats my 2 cents take it how you like. If you want a change then go for it and don't look back but if you are completely happy where you are then stay either way its a win, win for you.

  10. #70
    ashdub01's Avatar
    ashdub01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    PIN/ID
    2460d307
    Posts
    256
    well Im on a dell inspiron 1150-definetly older laptop,definetly bulky but I've had worse...and better...My fiance took some computer classes and got ahold of different versions of XP and one version of Vista...I prefer the XP version of Vista...(I believe it's Windows Xp service pack 3 or something) because it sorta has the Vista look with XP performance. I am currently running Vista on my laptop right now and have had no problems *knock on wood* I would downgrade to XP but I dont feel like saving everything to a disk. And as for DM not working right on Vista...I haven't had any problems other than the ones I created. Basically if you have the money and want it bad enough get it....if you dont like it then you might be able to re-sell it...if not then you would have been better off giving the money away.

  11. #71
    dallas1125's Avatar
    dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Posts
    1,610
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Ok, thanks

  12. #72
    knight2472000's Avatar
    knight2472000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    258
    Vista is horrible, there are very few drivers to run things like printers etc. Wait as long as you can.

  13. #73
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by onedoteight View Post
    For home users if you had it installed and it crashed more than likely it was something you did. XP crashes way more than Vista.
    This is guesswork, or sour grapes towards XP, as this statement is simply not true.

    Quote Originally Posted by onedoteight View Post
    Vista is truly more stable and probably the most thought out Microsoft products ever written.
    Again, this seems to be a fabricated statement. All one must do is stay abreast of what is really happening in the developer community to know that this is completely untrue.

    Quote Originally Posted by onedoteight View Post
    Here's the other thing people who want to wait on Windows 7 go ahead but guess what its going to basically be a Vista update since it is built off of the same framework as Vista.
    Framework? Surely your kidding.
    Windows 7 is built using a completely different kernel than any previous MS OS.


  14. #74
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by ashdub01 View Post
    I prefer the XP version of Vista...(I believe it's Windows Xp service pack 3 or something) because it sorta has the Vista look with XP performance.
    For clarification, there is no such thing as an "XP version of Vista"
    These are two completely separate Operating Systems.


  15. #75
    robertm's Avatar
    robertm no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    43
    I got a Vista Home Premium license with a new laptop I bought. Works quite nicely for me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •