dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F

Advertisement

Thnx for all the advice again everyone!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by shmengie View Post
    don't listen to all these guys !
    Please refrain from comments like this. Read the forum rules & follow them.
    Everyone here deserves respect & they are entitled to share their thoughts & experiences. Attacking other members, or being critical of their posts is off limits. Thanks for your cooperation.

via: Red BB 8310

jbreidel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241EDB49
    I dont know why everyone bashes Vista. Here is my experience. OK so I work and manage an IT department at the company I work for so I will give you my home and professional opinions.

Vista...Ok so now in all seriousness I wouldnt run Vista unless your gonna go all out and get at least Vista Business or Ultimate. Yes they are more however the coding is way more secure as well as it comes in 32bit and 64bit flavor. I personally chose 64bit.

As far as home usage, I didnt like Vista when it came out, but think back when XP came out, everyone hated it as it was new and buggy and a piece of junk. Now its stated as the most stable and secure OS on the market. Well in all opinion that may be true but XP is old and people are finding ways around there security holes now hence why they are discontinuing it. Now a gleam of light hit my eye when I heard SP1 for Vista was coming out, ever since I installed that, my issues went goodbye at home and it runs flawlessly. I love everything about it. Runs faster than my xp, internet downloads are faster, and just overall looks nicer.

As far as business usage goes, same rules applied. I would NEVER install this in a business environment unless I had SP1 installed. *there were bugs in there that fixed domain issues* Also Business is probably recommended. Now in saying if your gonna be running Vista boxes, you have to make sure your servers are up to date as well, I know that 2003 talks to Vista just fine but 2000 does not fare so well...it can but it doesnt like it. We have 4 Vista machines here at my work and yes they were a pain in the *$$ to set up but now that I know the fundamentals of how it works I dont see a problem with it anymore. Just make sure your software can take it and that your domain controller and or master server is updated to support Vista technology.

So all in all, get XP for business while you can, afterwords learn Vista or downgrade. Home pc, I love vista but seriously, wouldnt recommend using it on an older machine, and would HIGHLY suggest x64bit instead of 32

Just my 2 cents

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Ok, thnx.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jbreidel View Post
    I dont know why everyone bashes Vista. Here is my experience. OK so I work and manage an IT department at the company I work for so I will give you my home and professional opinions.

Vista...Ok so now in all seriousness I wouldnt run Vista unless your gonna go all out and get at least Vista Business or Ultimate. Yes they are more however the coding is way more secure as well as it comes in 32bit and 64bit flavor. I personally chose 64bit.

As far as home usage, I didnt like Vista when it came out, but think back when XP came out, everyone hated it as it was new and buggy and a piece of junk. Now its stated as the most stable and secure OS on the market. Well in all opinion that may be true but XP is old and people are finding ways around there security holes now hence why they are discontinuing it. Now a gleam of light hit my eye when I heard SP1 for Vista was coming out, ever since I installed that, my issues went goodbye at home and it runs flawlessly. I love everything about it. Runs faster than my xp, internet downloads are faster, and just overall looks nicer.

As far as business usage goes, same rules applied. I would NEVER install this in a business environment unless I had SP1 installed. *there were bugs in there that fixed domain issues* Also Business is probably recommended. Now in saying if your gonna be running Vista boxes, you have to make sure your servers are up to date as well, I know that 2003 talks to Vista just fine but 2000 does not fare so well...it can but it doesnt like it. We have 4 Vista machines here at my work and yes they were a pain in the *$$ to set up but now that I know the fundamentals of how it works I dont see a problem with it anymore. Just make sure your software can take it and that your domain controller and or master server is updated to support Vista technology.

So all in all, get XP for business while you can, afterwords learn Vista or downgrade. Home pc, I love vista but seriously, wouldnt recommend using it on an older machine, and would HIGHLY suggest x64bit instead of 32

Just my 2 cents
    J, I recently purchased a Dell XPS M1530 with Vista Home Premium. My previous laptop had Vista Business on it (an upgrade from XP Pro, thanks to my Microsoft Action Pack Subscription). Anyway, I received notification that the SP1 download was available, so proceeded to download and it fried my laptop to the point I couldn't even boot up.

Spent about two hours on the phone, first with Dell tech support who told me I needed to call Microsoft as this is a known issue and therefore would not be charged for support. At any rate, I was able to get my laptop up and running (still not sure how) and was informed that I needed to completely uninstall any anti-virus software on the laptop before installing SP1. Why this hasn't been out on any bulletins is beyond me, but needless to say, I'm a little gun shy now about installing SP1.

Did you have to disable or uninstall your anti-virus software in order to download and install SP1? I asked them if I could just disable the software (I'm running PC-Cillin, by the way), but they advised me to completely uninstall it from the laptop before installing SP1.

Would appreciate your professional opinion on the matter!

Thanks in advance,
    Roger

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Would you trust a doctor who makes a diagnosis without examining the patient?

If not, maybe you shouldn't be asking for a professional opinion when the professional cannot examine your machine. I give a lot of advice here, but none of it I dub "my professional opinion".

That said, Microsoft had an embarrassing problem upon first rollout of SP1 for Vista, with machines across the world going into an infinite loop. Now, supposedly, they are checking whether a machine is 'ready for it'.

The practical approach, if you do want Vista, is to buy a machine with SP1 already installed. Be aware BTW that SP1 intentionally breaks certain apps that do not conform with its worldview.

I suspect that SOME anti-virus packages present problems with SP1 installation, so the wide-brush solution is to advise everybody to uninstall. Which,
    for Symantec products, may well be a three-stage process

Good points, gkast. I've been googling issues with Vista SP1 and have yet to find anyone mentioning anything about uninstalling their anti-virus software.

It's amazing how many different "solutions" I've found, from disabling wireless stuff, to changing registry entries.

My laptop came loaded with Vista, so I either need to find a way to get SP1 loaded without crashing the thing again or find another alternative. I personally like Vista, having used it on my last laptop with no issues. Granted, the prior machine had Vista Business as opposed to my current machine which came loaded with Home Premium. Not exactly sure what all the differences are in the two OS.

So anyway, I guess I'll continue to search the 'net for other similar solutions, but still look forward to additional comments/suggestions in this thread.

Roger

PIN/ID
    244F596F
    In any case Windows Update does create a restore point, so normally you can
    go back should something go wrong.

If you just bought it and it only has the OS on you are not risking any data of
    yours or app installations anyway, so you can afford to try things out. I imagine you do have original installation CD/DVDs... or a Recovery Partition on your disk.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gkast1 View Post
    In any case Windows Update does create a restore point, so normally you can
    go back should something go wrong.

If you just bought it and it only has the OS on you are not risking any data of
    yours or app installations anyway, so you can afford to try things out. I imagine you do have original installation CD/DVDs... or a Recovery Partition on your disk.

Good luck!
    Yes, once I got the machine up and running it did return to its original state, so that was cool. I've had it for a few weeks and have since transferred everything from the old machine to the new, so there's definitely more at stake than just the OS.

I do have all the original installation stuff, but I'll definitely be backing stuff up before I make any further attempts at getting SP1 loaded!

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    I would avoid vista.

PIN/ID
    244F596F
    In my case I do have Vista, and XP, and WinServer2003, and even Win2000 somewhere... because I support people who are running all of the above.

For myself, I much prefer Linux.

PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Yes, once I got the machine up and running it did return to its original state, so that was cool. I've had it for a few weeks and have since transferred everything from the old machine to the new, so there's definitely more at stake than just the OS.

I do have all the original installation stuff, but I'll definitely be backing stuff up before I make any further attempts at getting SP1 loaded!

That is very wise.

As a footnote, when you make a backup, do take a bit of extra time to verify it. You
    don't want to find out it is invalid at the wrong time -- when you try to use it! I've
    seen it happen.

jbreidel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241EDB49
    Hmm interesting, we dont have any problems here at my work with SP1 installs and that is running Trendmicro Security Software.

At home, installed fine running NOD32 x64 edition.

Quote Originally Posted by jbreidel View Post
    Hmm interesting, we dont have any problems here at my work with SP1 installs and that is running Trendmicro Security Software.

At home, installed fine running NOD32 x64 edition.
    Mm hmmm. And this was a Microsoft tech and his supervisor advising me to do this.

Interesting indeed.

knight2472000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Vista has good security but functionality suffers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast