Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Well, my dad owns vista and that is why I was considering ... Microsoft Windows forum

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Well, my dad owns vista and that is why I was considering the update, he has not had any problems except with DM. That doesn't worry me because I won't be using my laptop to dL appliances.

Back to Linux, I'm confused, is it a free download or do you have to buy it. You can buy a cd or dL for free. ???

Is there a way to switch after installing linux back to XP without having to buy it again?

bacidath no está en línea Stack level 2
    its a free download I was just joking about selling you a copy...you can actually run both linux and windows at the same time and without losing all of the windows "stuff" you've accuired over the years . ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    !!!!!!!!!!

No way! Thank you a lot! Definetlet got trust going your way! Yeah, I will download that tonight and see how much I like it.

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4
    don't listen to all these guys poo-poo'ing vista. i am a network support administrator by trade. is vista perfect? nope. is there any compelling reason to upgrade to vista? nope. vista is fine. it's just fine. neither terrible nor terrific. sure, i've heard horror stories about DM not working correctly, or at all. i had DM running on my vista system just fine. then again, i know what i'm doing.

and, if you try out linux, make sure it's ubuntu (ubuntu.org). really good distro based on debian linux. really easy to set up and use. good luck!
    2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
    - Grabel's Law

puppylove no está en línea Stack level 2
    After reading to this point I'm convinced that I did the right thing: I just bought new laptop and I looked around until I found one that had the option of Win XP - I chose that. I don't ever plan to go to VISTA - too many horror stories and tales about all the software/hardware that you have now that isn't supported in VISTA. I know that there are users who like VISTA - they must have more time, money and patience than I do.

I'm currently running two laptops and a desktop, all with Win XP. Needless to say, my future plans include Linux too. HOpe that helps.

surfanimal no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me!
    no, vista will end up being a precursor to the next windows, like windows me was to xp. besides, xp with sp2 works tons better than vista.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas1125 View Post
    I am looking into Linux to see what thats like, thanx for all of the feedback! I will not upgrade to Vista, I did not know of all of the problems it has.

EDIT: I looked into Linux and it looks pretty good. Is there a way to install it then if I don't like it, go back to XP? I just want to be safe you know.
    Check out my profile below, I'm running two hard drives on my ThinkPad laptop as I'm a software engineer and must run XP for some of my work.

For everything else I use Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (linux). This is the best Linux as it's easy, fast, stable and comes with lots of extra software. For example it comes with Open Office which is like Microsoft Office, and compatible with office files. Lots of other cool software, games, Firefox web browser, in short it's ready to run and all for a few bucks. Then going forward any other software you want is also free and on the forum it tells you how to get it.

The forum to check out is: http://ubuntuforums.org/

Here is where to get the disc Ubuntu 8.04

You can buy the liveCD for just $1.95 & 2.95 for shipping, less just under $5.00 total. You will receive it in about 4 days. I cannot say enough good things about this company, as the discs are always perfect. This is a far better (in my opinion) way to go as opposed to burning your own as it takes special software, patience and then it can still be buggy.

Once you receive the disc of Ubuntu, it will "run from disc" therefore you are not loading anything on your computer nor does it leaving anything behind. You simply pop it into your CD/DVD drive and run it. See how you like it, and if you do, then you install it. It also comes with a partitioning utility that allows you to create a dual boot setup with Windows if you wish. It too is very easy, simply follow the intructions that are on the forum.

Installation is super easy and on my ThinkPad everything worked perfectly. The entire process even installing the 2nd hard drive took a total of one hour. Now I have each OS on a separate Hard Drive, with plenty of space for files.

Cheers!

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Yes personally I have no issues with Vista as well .Its runs flawlessly on my Home PC. On my laptiop I am currently running Windows XP and trying Linux on a Live CD. They work weel so far for me. I am leaning towards just changing completely over to Linux thanks to a couple of persuading opinions from one of my pals..Which he will remain namless due to he gets enoughs already especially from me

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by puppylove View Post
    After reading to this point I'm convinced that I did the right thing: I just bought new laptop and I looked around until I found one that had the option of Win XP - I chose that. I don't ever plan to go to VISTA - too many horror stories and tales about all the software/hardware that you have now that isn't supported in VISTA.

I'm currently running two laptops and a desktop, all with Win XP. Needless to say, my future plans include Linux too. HOpe that helps.
    Nice Work! You really did the right thing. I'm not bashing MS or Vista, but as a software engineer that works in a variety of different OS's I can say that to avoid Vista is smart. In fact, Vista will not be around for long as Microsoft realizes that it has a serious public relations problem with it. Thus they are working feverishly to replace it as soon as possible with the next major upgrade, which at this time is known as Windows 7.

I would highly suggest that you try Ubuntu Linux 8.04.

Check my post above which gives some more info about this including a link to a site where you can buy the liveCD which allows you to run the entire OS and the included applications from your CD/DVD drive. This way nothing is placed on your computer, a great way to test it out, no risk. Also see the link for the forums.

What brand and model of laptop did you just buy?

Cheers!

PIN/ID
    LESS
    See Archer you just couldn't resist...,Now the secrets out LOL

scott0482 no está en línea Stack level 2
    ok..
    what processor and how much memory is on your laptop?

you can request an xp cd from sony, and then reinstall using the windows key from the xp sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

vista can be ok.. if you have 2+ gb of ram and a core2duo or fast amd x2 processor or better. there is a lot of stuff you need to tweak, such as disabling the annoying extra step where it greys out the screen and asks if you are sure you want to continue...

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Check out my profile below, I'm running two hard drives on my ThinkPad laptop as I'm a software engineer and must run XP for some of my work.

For everything else I use Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (linux). This is the best Linux as it's easy, fast, stable and comes with lots of extra software. For example it comes with Open Office which is like Microsoft Office, and compatible with office files. Lots of other cool software, games, Firefox web browser, in short it's ready to run and all for a few bucks. Then going forward any other software you want is also free and on the forum it tells you how to get it.

The forum to check out is: http://ubuntuforums.org/

Here is where to get the disc Ubuntu 8.04

You can buy the liveCD for just $1.95 & 2.95 for shipping, less just under $5.00 total. You will receive it in about 4 days. I cannot say enough good things about this company, as the discs are always perfect. This is a far better (in my opinion) way to go as opposed to burning your own as it takes special software, patience and then it can still be buggy.

Once you receive the disc of Ubuntu, it will "run from disc" therefore you are not loading anything on your computer nor does it leaving anything behind. You simply pop it into your CD/DVD drive and run it. See how you like it, and if you do, then you install it. It also comes with a partitioning utility that allows you to create a dual boot setup with Windows if you wish. It too is very easy, simply follow the intructions that are on the forum.

Installation is super easy and on my ThinkPad everything worked perfectly. The entire process even installing the 2nd hard drive took a total of one hour. Now I have each OS on a separate Hard Drive, with plenty of space for files.

Cheers!
    It gives me a download option, does that work too?

thecoolfool no está en línea Stack level 3

Vista

The laptop I bought last year has Vista on it and I've never had a problem with Desktop Manager or anything else. And it's fast, too. There were some programs and applications that weren't compatible when Vista first dropped but mostly all of them are compatible now. Just make sure your pc has a good bit of memory.
    Holler at me if you need some fresh ringtones.

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Quote Originally Posted by thecoolfool View Post
    The laptop I bought last year has Vista on it and I've never had a problem with Desktop Manager or anything else. And it's fast, too. There were some programs and applications that weren't compatible when Vista first dropped but mostly all of them are compatible now. Just make sure your pc has a good bit of memory.
    I will just wait and see what Microsoft throws at us next. Meanwhile I have requested a free Ubuntu Cd to us instead!

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    First of all: yes, Linux was and is a superior solution!

There was a case when I jumped and bought a Vista laptop-- it was being offered
    at less than half price because it was crawling. Of course it was, with just 512MB
    of RAM! I stuck in another 512MB, disabled Google Desktop and Windows Sidebar, turned off Aero, disabled a number of unnecessary Services -- and the
    laptop became "normal".

That said, Vista provides a very limited list of advantages -- UCA is a good thing, and networking is a little bit better. But on no account does this mean it is worth
    it to pay to upgrade from Windows XP. Vista has the air of a half-ready system,
    where things were left out for some reason. To get good performance you need
    at least 2GB of RAM, and that is excessive.

I have versions of all existing Windows systems, because I support clients with
    varying needs, so I've had the opportunity to compare them. (Some are actually
    doing fine and covering their needs with Windows 2000 Pro !)

Given the choice, Vista or XP, go for Windows XP.

Or even better: install Linux

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast