Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hey everyone, I am thinking of upgrading my laptop from xp to vista. My choices ... Microsoft Windows forum

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F

Should I buy Windows Vista?

Advertisement

Hey everyone, I am thinking of upgrading my laptop from xp to vista. My choices are no upgrade or upgrade so I don't know. Is it worth the time and money? Which one is more reliable, faster, safer. Stuff like that. I am interested in knowing what my fellow stackers say. To vote, go to my blog. I can't figure out the poll thing on here. I think they took it off.
    Last edited by dallas1125; 06-12-2008 at 01:01 AM.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    I, personally, would avoid Vista at all costs. It is plagued with issues and unless you have a very new computer, it is extremely slow. We purchased 50 laptops for my company and after a week of Vista, they were all downgraded to Windows XP Pro.

You can find dozens and dozens of articles talking about companies, people, etc., trying to push Microsoft from pulling XP from the shelves but they are giong to except for low-end computers like Acers and what-not who do not run a fast enough processor to run Vista.

Good luck if you Upgrade but be prepared...
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    Do a search for XP; Micro$oft is seriously looking at extending the life cycle for it because Vista is such a poor performer.

My brother owns a computer networking business. He's sold thousands of machines with Vista, and copies of the OS itself. The only one he will use is the Small Business Edition, seems to be more stable than any other version.

Funny note: On another forum I saw someone call it "Hasta la Vista"!

I'm holding onto XP myself. I have two computers with it, one with Home Edition and one with Pro.

HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro
    You mean you haven't heard the horror stories about Vista not playing nice with Desktop Manager? Or about Vista period. Incompatibility issues, driver issues... If I were you, Id just max out the memory on my PC and/or upgrade the processors. XP is steady and fast enough for me.

bacidath no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'll sell you a cheap copy of linux (insert favorite flavor here)... ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Quote Originally Posted by bacidath View Post
    I'll sell you a cheap copy of linux (insert favorite flavor here)... ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Maybe, what is the comparison between XP and Linux or Vista and Linux? How much would it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMrRadio View Post
    You mean you haven't heard the horror stories about Vista not playing nice with Desktop Manager? Or about Vista period. Incompatibility issues, driver issues... If I were you, Id just max out the memory on my PC and/or upgrade the processors. XP is steady and fast enough for me.
    I like the look of vista but if it is that bad.....

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    I love the latest & greatest Apps too and have never really had any bad dealings with Windows...until VISTA. I am now running a Macbook Pro and will never go back to a personal computer that isn't running Mac OS X. I only use Windows for work now.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I do the same as KalebsDad78 I run an mbp with parallels and XP pro. One of my users bought a viao (was not supposed to) and we tried downgrading to XP...horrible, brought it back up to vista home (which was what it came with) then attempted to upgrade to business...that is a nightmare. Hold on to XP as long as possible.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    I have a vaio laptop too and the thing for me about switching OS's is that windows is the only OS I have really used. I have handled mac's before but I don't link them much. I am willing to try Linux though. I wish that BB made a laptop software. I would buy that without a doubt.
    Last edited by dallas1125; 06-12-2008 at 01:15 AM.

bacidath no está en línea Stack level 2
    The actual cost of the linux is the time it takes to download it and the price of a cd to burn to... Dowload a live cd... It let's you try linux without installing to your computer
    www.ubuntu.com
    One of the more user friendly versions for new users
    As far as how it compares...I guess is really a matter of opinion. I do everything but sync my bb with it and haven't looked back at windows since switching about 3 years ago~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    I would steer clear of Vista. Way too many issues and as said before incompatibility issues with DM.

potthoff no está en línea Stack level 3
    My friend uses Vista and its' pretty cool, but she has no peripherals and very few apps to deal with.

As for me, I say "STAY AWAY". Too many incompatibilities. And a lot of vendors haven't released new versions of their software for Vista (Creative being one).

Lis
    Lis (not dead, but Berried)
    Music is feelings unspoken.

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    I am looking into Linux to see what thats like, thanx for all of the feedback! I will not upgrade to Vista, I did not know of all of the problems it has.

EDIT: I looked into Linux and it looks pretty good. Is there a way to install it then if I don't like it, go back to XP? I just want to be safe you know.
    Last edited by dallas1125; 06-12-2008 at 10:41 AM.

kperajis no está en línea Stack level 1
    I personally made the switch to Mac and have loved everything about it so far. It is one of the most simple operating systems. If I were you I'd make the switch to Mac or wait for the new Snow Leopard operating system.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro
    I use Windows Vista Ultimate on my home machine. Personally, I have had nothing wrong with it. When I first installed it, I had an issue with my Roxio Drag-n-Drop. After about a week, they came out with a fix for it, and I've been using ever since.

I've never had a problem connecting to my berry, whether corded or bluetooth, and everything I've bought since then has been Windows Vista compatible, so no problem.
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast