I have seriously spent over 40 hours this week, day and night simply getting my ... Microsoft Windows forum

joebeauchamp no está en línea Stack level 1

Question replace palm private records for pearl

Advertisement

I have seriously spent over 40 hours this week, day and night simply getting my pearl 8100 to get the data from my palm desktop. (and repairing the damage that the software has done). At this point, I'm probably an expert and don't want to be.

I am amazed that the ability to have secure data on the phone just doesn't exist. In the next few days, I will probably take back the pearl to get the palm centro because at least it will function as something other than a braindead email bauble. I can't spend all this time for a "simple" phone replacement. I think many people here know that the doc's from blackberry are horrible, etc. But this is a last ditch effort by me to keep the pearl. It is a nice physical unit, too bad it comes with demented manufacturer and deficient software.

So, I'm hoping for a shortcut from someone who understands the value of having passwords, account info, etc. in your pocket when you need it and not having it in open text in case you lose your phone. I'm clearly missing something, I think, because I can't see how my 6 yr old palm can be worlds ahead of the software and environment offered by what I thought was the premier phone/PDA available. Getting more frustrated by the minute and now have to cut it off and either live with this and carry a palm or my old phone in another pocket (geesh) or dump this thing and get the centro (which seems like a toy -- boy, did I have that backwards??).

Any help? I've only come across little password programs for the bberry, nothing even close to the sync & private records of the palm. And, on top of that, I could probably buy an extra palm or two after paying for the ton of programs (probably?) that I need to replace this basic function of the palm. I could like with less - like simply being able to move data back and forth and have it encrypted on the pearl so I could read and scan for entries when I needed to (700 at the moment) - 1300 "public" contacts, too.

I figure that people here know if this is a lost cause or if, somehow in my hours of searching, I've missed some solutions. I can't keep doing this -- the phone hasn't moved from in front of my computer for a week -- not exactly what I had hoped for in a cell phone replacement..?? HA!

Thanks -- a lot!! -- Joe B.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: replace palm private records for pearl

There is a password keeper on the BB. It looks like a little safe deposit box.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Well, wow.... you should have started here first. Basically you should look at Ascendo Data Vault. Encryted, safe and syncs with the desktop version. Not to mention it is only $29.95...

If we can help with anything else please just ask. There are many friendly and helpful people here.

Welcome to Pinstack and I hope we can make things easier on you!

Yeah. I forgot to mention that it will be a lot easier to use the Switch Device Wizard next time to switch devices if you have to get a new BB device.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Try setting Options/Security Options/General Settings/Passwaod to Enabled and Content Protection to Enabled.
    That should do it

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

Smile Re: replace palm private records for pearl

You might think I'm an idiot to spend so much time on this - no, tain't so. Just a little careful and much chagrined by the lack of simple doc and info. I didn't want to go into it, wasted so much time. I'm the 1st person in 4 yrs to have asked this t-mobile person about a secure way of having data on my phone. I find that incredible unless nobody really uses it like a PDA - and they don't seem to. I'm in front of the computer all day, I don't need email when I hop into the car. All of the doc's are about using blackberry email this and that - pretty useless. Yes, I used switch, I have the latest download - what comes on the CD doesn't work for palm. However, intellisync, without warning, jams crap into every palm record. I was pretty much set for that, but there were a few passwords and things that I entered and did not have a complete save from before trying to copy files over -- copy, get that BBerry, not destroy, copy... geesh. I won't let it come close to my email which is outlook express -- that is way to valuable to let demented souls like them randomly do stuff to. And, as I said, I don't want it.. It could be sort of nice, but way too dangerous from what I see of their cavalier attitude toward my data.

I envision a painful setup. Before getting the phone, I thought it would be just painful to move from outlook express (maybe 2 dozen email addresses, tons of folders and filters) to outlook, but I now feel that the easy of use of palmdesktop is still so good compared to the lacking "qualities" of outlook and bberry, that I see me continuing to use that as the focal point (for ACT data - 1000 entries at the moment) and moving data (semi-painfully) to outlook, separating account info, passwords, etc. because outlook is useless that way, and having a program that can handle that stuff with the bberry. Convoluted - but I don't see anything much more workable at this point... unless I give up this phone. Then, with the centro, all problems go away except that I don't think I'll like the physical phone as much -- haven't gotten used to the keyboard, but have been assured that it will come quickly -- I am in front of the computers a lot, heavy techy, so I believe it.

I am seething that bberry has absolutely no concern about security - just want to sell their email. And I just want a phone PDA, really don't need to have it drive an HDTV and 1000w stereo. I'm starting to get the feeling that a nice solid unit with the features of a 6 year old palm OS is about 20th on their list of importance -- and apparently the people who use this thing? That is a big surprise to me.

Other "little" things? There is NO document which gives you reasonable spec's - try finding the max size of the memory chip you can put in. It is in the t-mobile database, they couldn't find it anywhere else, either. That is just a very simple example of what people should need right out of the chute and bberry doesn't care. I expected a page of spec's - bluetooth spec's for the earphone, a lot of stuff I could care less about, the size of the earphone jack, the type. Nothing -- nada. Unless you consider color really really important..??

For the suggestions so far, that little password thing on the pearl doesn't look like it is going to take my 700 entries that have all kinds of info - mainly because it is trivial to do so and helpful in palm-land - and I certainly don't feel like typing them all in and doing so each time I create a new one, like I just registered here and did what I've done for 6 yrs now, just put it in palm desktop and checked PRIVATE. Then go to bberry and enter it again..?? Yuck. And, I would guess that true to bberry's "thinking" they don't bother to let you get to that data any way on the desktop, right?

I discussed, among other things, that encryption setting with t-mobile in my last 2 hr discussion with them. That is pretty useless. That is good for when someone grabs your phone, it is locked (I hope that the lock takes more than 5 seconds to break, don't know) and someone wants to rip the memory out of the phone and read it -- not the encrypted chip, but the phone memory. Now, can anyone seriously envision that being a normal situation? They just simply have the phone on and look at the data - right there - accounts, passwords -- encrypted or not, turn on the phone and there it is in plain text. And the lock? Can you imagine anyone locking their phone every time they are done talking or looking at it -- with a password big enough to stop someone for more than 1/2 in breaking it? I can't - that's a real pain to always lock and unlock and hope that someone doesn't grab it while you are talking or that you don't put it down to pick something up and forget it or whatever. And then total disaster -- your total life of everything is in someone's hands. And bberry people don't care? That's why I have to believe I'm missing something because that is such a "screw the customer" position to take. So, I look at it the other way. What kind of people would use this and not be concerned? I'm guessing people who never put anything important on the phone but do it all through email. Oh, in my looking around, I just saw that you pay a premium to use your bberry overseas -- there is an extra bberry tax, as they call it, to use your PIN, that other phones don't have. Makes me wonder if I've fallen into a gouche crowd or, again, I gotta believe I'm totally missing some important basic stuff.

Anyway, I could answer a ton of questions that I see here now... ;-) Swell, huh? [Uh, no, I didn't want to be an expert, just get a better newer phone <sigh>.]

And, thank you VERY MUCH for the 3rd one that I see - I'll look into ascendo data vault. Since I work for myself and don't have a corp. footing bills, and because I feel this should be a part of the basic phone, it bothers me to pay for such a thing, but if it solves the problem, can sync with my desktop, it will be worth it -- I don't want to go to the centro, but it sure would make life a ton easier -- and, if I do go overseas, apparently cheaper to use?

Thanks again -- and absolutely feel free to give more suggestions.. Sorry to rant but I didn't really have 40 hrs to blow on a cell phone that hasn't left the room since I bought it... seems like I'm doing something wrong, maybe?? Shouldn't I at least be taking it out for a walk or something?? HA!

-- Joe B.

Thanks for the pointer! I haven't gotten it to work - I came across minisafe about the same time that I saw the replies. Ascendo was nice in that I didn't format anything and it took the data - probably dropped some (good enough for a test, I think), but I didn't have to use any format in palm desktop. Also came across splashID, ezcase, secret window (I think this is just on the bberry), and free keepass - but after struggling, I think I misunderstood - it runs on multiple platforms, just doesn't sync across the bberry desktop.

Well, I did shoot the whole day on this and looking for another phone to replace it - unfortunately, t-mobile doesn't have palm os, the closest is the shadow -- got the user manual. Had to laugh - the only thing that they felt was important enough to talk about protection was that stupid DRM and locked PDF files. Of course **your** data is just not worthy... What a hoot. So, it isn't just BBerry that thinks the only think a PDA is good for is watching TV and getting email..

Anyway, I've been trying for a while and just can't get ascendo to send data to the bberry, although it keeps picking up data from it (but not giving it to me, just asking where to put the dmp file. Suggestions would be helpful. Hey, maybe I can try to actually do some work this coming week instead of being a bberry slave to no end?

Again, thanks for all the suggestions! -- Tomorrow, I'll just have to grab one of the palm machines and carry that in a separate pocket <sigh>. That still might be the only efficient answer with the software tangle going from act to something, separating data just to keep private stuff off of the bberry, etc. Becomes a big production rather than just typing something in, clicking on "private" and then hitting a sync button from time to time... Oh, well, I guess that is...uh...progress?? ;-)

-- Joe B.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Acsendo does sync through the desktop manager. In the DM, click Synchronize, then check the box in the window that says "Execute Add-in Actions". That will run the desktop version of Acsendo and sync it with the BB version. It is also password protected and encrypted.

Now, about your security questions, the BB is one of the most secure. It is not just an email and media player. It was not until recently (way after others) that it started having the media capabilities in responce to customers requests. If you followed Rcbjr post and added a password to lock the BB, then if someone tried to gain access to a lost or stolen BB it would wipe all data from the BB. Removing all info you put in it. The number of password attempts is configurable by you from one to ten attempts.

There are many very experienced people here that will help and guide you. Please let us know your questions (before spending 40 hours on it) and we will help you. There is no need to get frustrated, chances are that someone here has had your issue and will know a fix.

Hmm.. well, I already did those things - otherwise, it would not ask where to put xxx.dmp from the phone. Nope, it is not getting my test data. I also found, I think, that I cannot mass delete anything from the program. I deleted the file itself when trying to find if I needed to use an exact match for categories to have it send them to the phone or for the phone to display them. The other thing that I thought about was maybe I need to use a previous version of ascendo because t-mobile has 4.2 for desktop because (and apparently rightly so from comments I've seen here) they want to make sure that 4.3 works right. So, that could be a problem, but, of course, each test takes time, hence, yesterday shot -- today, a zire for gps and backup, my samsung for passwords and accounts, my bberry to talk -- maybe time to get a backpack..??

About that security, well, I can only imagine a few fastidious people using that. I've tried it on my palm in the past. A real pain having to put in the password all the time. How long does it take before you give up? Also, would you ever hand your phone to someone who needs to make "an emergency" call knowing that ALL of your critical data is wide open in his hands? No, I don't call that secure from any practical sense. Compare that to what I've been using. My open data is there all the time, I don't care who sees it. If I want a password I must unlock private data. I used someone's hack to relock the data as soon as the phone is turned off (not the signal, just gone idle). That was one of the failings of palm is to not have that feature. So, I look at private data and phone does whatever it can to protect it -- I leave it for a bit, screen goes dark - boom, data hidden. I hand it to someone to make a call I would not have unlocked the private data, that data is still protected. Convenience? I use the phone without jacking with passwords just to dial, etc. No, I disagree, the BB just ain't secure unless your a psycho about making sure you lock it and can handle unlocking it all the time and never consider letting anyone use it, etc. No, not exactly practical.

I came across something which might help me. Obviously not in BB docs, of course (HA!), it looks like that if I buy a chip (2GB is max limit, right? BB does NOT specify), I can use that as a "disk drive" on my PC and move data back and forth that way. If I can do that, it isn't clear that I can manipulate data on the phone in the same way -- move files, rename, etc. After all, uh, haven't had time yet? Only spent 50 hrs on making the phone work so far..?? Geesh.. Gotta go and actually try to make a living now.. ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion, however! -- Joe B.

The MicroSD card is only for pictures, ringtones, videos, and music right now.

Before leaving this place, I tried again - this time, it complains that my passwords don't match, yet, I unmask and look at them -- well, they do..?? So I get into ascendo on the pc with 1234 and I get into the phone version with 1234 and unmask to see that they are the same, yet it complains that the PC and BB have different passwords. I consider that progress, it only wanted to write a .dmp from the phone and nothing went the other way last night..? So, hints would be nice. Thanks again! -- Joe B.

I hope this has a good answer - actually took my new cell phone for a ride today (you can't just keep it couped up by the computer when you go out w/o it, right?). With 1200 addresses, well, voice dialing didn't work - I don't believe I can tell it who to call by any setting, it will just start from scratch each time - kind of surprised that it picked one name that was close and 2 that were way off and never got to the 3 which were that name.

Anyway, how do I search for something in the address book? I was driving to 45 wood, wanted to see what my lockbox code is, but all I could do was ask BB to look up the first name. Like I remember the first name of who sold me that house last year? I tried the help, gave up. So, how do you find a contact with something other than the name? Am I not able to do a search through the contact list? Looking up search, it only seems to work for email. I'd like to do something like bring up SEARCH and type in 45 w and have all contacts with a 45 w pop up -- should be only 1, in this case.

Thanks! - Joe B.