Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was wondering why we have to buy 3rd party programs for the BB and ... Microsoft Windows forum

_Bulz_Eye_ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c2287a

Q: Why can't BB offer windows?

Advertisement

I was wondering why we have to buy 3rd party programs for the BB and why can not the BB run windows like a pc smart phone? I like my bb, but I would think with a OS that was pc smart phone compadiable would be more practical.

What am i missing? Am I thinking right?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Why take something that works reliably and replace it with something that is unstable, cluttered and bloated?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

manapuaman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f011d6
    windoze? Why not Mac OS? Give me stability or give me death!

YMark no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by _Bulz_Eye_
    What am i missing?
    You're missing all the crashes, reboots, and other problems you get with Windows.

Am I thinking right?
    No. Why buy a blackberry and then want to run another OS?
    Mark

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7
    There are plenty of WM devices out there if you want one. Why make the BB WM when one of it's biggest benefits IMO is its stability?

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Don't forget security. There's thousand ways to hack a windows machine or device. I've only ever heard of one hack for blackberries. And the guy that created it released it so blackberries remained secure.
    Although you may think a bb is incompatible with a lot because you can run windows mobile programs, blackberries support the popular j2me platform which is pretty much standard among many mobile devices.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I sell all sorts of PDA and I must say that the worst all have WM5 on them... Why would I say that ?
    Have you ever tried doing multi task on a BB? Works well and never had problem
    Tried to do the samedi with a WM PDA and I have crashed it 5 times in a row...
    Since that time all WM5 smartphone have been kept out of my hand
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

bbdcdude no está en línea Stack level 1
    It looks like you are asking Blackberry to build a Dash or a Blackjack... Why don't you take a look at these two devices and see if they fit your needs?

Blackberries are not for everybody but, FWIW, I have used an MDA for a while before going back to Blackberry (8700g). Windows Mobile is too unstable for me. If I ever need to dial 911, I don't want to have to reboot my phone first!

Blackberry is still way behind but it is already catching up on the multimedia side with the Pearl and the upcoming 8800. I would however agree that most pocket pc freeware have no free equivalent in the BB world. With BB becoming more prevalent on the consumer market, I expect that to change in the near future also. Companies do not trust free software and people who write apps for Blackberries probably do not mind making some money in the process. Once BB gets ground in the consumer market, enthusiasts are going to start writing freeware for them.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G
    I've used the Palms, Windows based and now the BB! IMHO...the berry is the hands down best! It's simple and anyone can use it!

_Bulz_Eye_ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c2287a

Re: Q: Why can't BB offer windows?

I don't think you guys understand what or why I was asking the question:

Why do we have to buy a 3rd party software for our blackberry? Why can't blackberry run a windows type of OS so we don't need to add all these other 3rd party software??????? If thier is a program like Eoffice, why can't it come bundled like a pc smart program? Why do we have to go out and buy it, I love my BB, I just don't want to have to buy software just to look at spread sheets lolol.... so figure that one out for me... I think the BB should come word docs & excel & pdf freindly.

It bugs me that if I exchange my BB, I will have to buy another copy of Eoffice. That just don't seem right to me.

diaz1023 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you don't have to buy another copy of eoffice, you just have to log into your account and let them know your new pin. That will take care of the issue. I have had 4 bb's and used my same original copy of eoffice ( with udating everyonce in a while for the current version) on them. The same with any software just use it on one machine and have it registered and you will have no problem. IMO

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

_Bulz_Eye_,

Several points, you don't have to have eOffice to look at .doc or .xls files or even PDFs. You do have to have it to edit them.

The Office Mobile apps come with Windows Mobile OS based Phones, because MSFT had to bundle them to penetrate the market. RIM would have to buy an OEM license from MSFT in order to include them with the OS, thus increasing the cost of the BB for everyone, not just those that have a desire to process doc and xls file on the handhelds. Thanks, I find the BB expensive enough as is.

And as diaz points out you don't need to buy a new copy each time you change BBs.

The bottom line is you get what you pay for and you need to pay for what you get.
    Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

babaganoosh no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by UH8ME
    I've used the Palms, Windows based and now the BB! IMHO...the berry is the hands down best! It's simple and anyone can use it!

That is a bit of an overstatement IMO. Not anyone can use it, cause i can tell you right now my dad would be completely lost if he was using a blackberry. All he has is a little phone that basically all can do is call and send txt messages. He hasnt been able to send a text message, much less even check his messages lol. I also find it quite funny that he cant even figure out the address book, he just presses send to get to the recent calls list and selects from there HAHAHA.

But back to the topic, my aunt has a MDA, and even she is complaining about it saying that it messes up all the time and she cant do everything she needs to. I was just using it today, and it crashed.

just my $0.02

joebobmcslob no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23e22496

I agree with babaganoosh. And this is speaking from experience including first-hand development of Palm OS, Windows Mobile, and Symbian user applications.

My first point: BlackBerry is Java fueled. That scares me! Why? Java sucks! That's my opinion about Java (not a fact). Java is HUGE! Everything about it! And slow! Don't believe me? Code and port a Java app to the runtime environment! It's torture! Like writing 3.1 apps back before the shutdown OK screen existed! Check RIM's developer site! In just about every code example they "suggest" that you write a web app and link your users to it. Like the Pinstack download link that sends you to your browser! "But I thought that was supposed to be a program?" You know what I mean! Because it's torture to work with Java!

My second point: All this talk about BlackBerry being more reliable... OK, sure. I would love to believe that (especially because my BlackBerry cost me like 200 something dollars), but I have *honestly* had my BlackBerry crash or restart more times in the past two months of having it than in the past 3 years of having two of my Winblows Mobile Pocket PCs. Come on, that is horrible! And I have never had a Pocket PC from any manufacturer totally lock up on me for like 10 minutes! Or only scroll up instead of down! Or have an LED indicator continue flashing like all day without shutting off when it should! Come on! Apple's gonna kick RIM's arse if they keep this stuff up. You can't fool developers and engineers!

Either way, I don't use them enough. I love technology and having the BlackBerry with me at all times but I'm not going to lie about what it can and cannot do. I can say that I don't even use my Pocket PCs anymore. But then again, college taught me to rely on paper and pens... I'm not knocking the BlackBerry. I love it! It's cool as heck! Why did I buy it? -> Email access.
    "Mmm... Vodka and pie..."

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

There are definitely issues and the Blackberry platform is suffering from growing pains. However, it's still a new entry into the consumer market and new features will probably always take a backseat to the primary purpose of the Blackberry, which has (so far) kept it separate from the rest of the pack. I wouldn't make blanketing and blind brand loyalty statements that some people do but the Blackberry is still a best fit for me even considering its limitations and I'll switch if I find something better. There are definitely new features that I feel should be supported and there really should be a better selection of third party apps as well as support for apps that people currently use. It's not quite where I'd like to see it but hopefully RIM will get there. Hopefully people are emailing bbsuggestions@rim.com with their wish lists.

In regard to stability, you'll always find anecdotal evidence where a certain percentage of people on any platform have more than their fair share of issues. However, it's the overall trend that matters, statistically speaking and WM devices are significantly less reliable overall. Any IT staff member who isn't just incredibly lucky with WM and supports wireless devices can tell you this. I'm thankful that my enterprise is standardized on the Blackberry based on professional experience supporting a large number of these devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast