I ran across this. Hope its not a repost. Lets discuss the advantages of this ... Microsoft Windows forum

bjenkins17 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2427d4b4

How to put a full-blown Windows Desktop Environment on your BlackBerry

Advertisement

I ran across this. Hope its not a repost. Lets discuss the advantages of this type of application. What do you see are the most useful things we could use this for. What would you use it for? Worth the effort? Let me know.

All recent BlackBerry models feature a MicroSD Card Slot which appears as a normal “USB Mass Storage Device” when connected to a desktop computer via USB. Most people use this only for some MP3 files and nothing else. But there are a lot more useful options! I will show you how to use it to have a customized full-blown Windows Desktop Environment in your pocket. Secure and free! I first recommenced to create an encrypted container on your BlackBerry MicroSD card. Using the free software TrueCrypt you can create a secure container which can be used as a standard drive on windows (and other OS’s) which even the CIA can’t hack. The BlackBerry already features SD-Card encryption but there are several advantages using TryeCrypt anyway:
    • An additional layer of security
    • Fast and easy backup - as you only have to copy the encrypted container (which is one file) to make a backup instead of copying individual files
    • You can choose the drive-letter of your encrypted volume via TrueCrypt - while the assigned driveletter of your BlackBerry might vary on different machines.
    With the availability of 8GB MicroSD cards and 16GB cards to come you get a lot of storage space on your BlackBerry. The free Windows application MojoPac features a fast and easy user/application-based virtualization solution for Windows XP (a Vista version is on the way). You can now install MojoPac on your virtual encrypted volume. It will generate a virtual windows user-environment for you without changing anything on your original windows installation. All applications / customization you do within this virtual environment can be used on any other Windows system. So you can install applications like Mircosoft Office etc. on it. Instead of having to carry your Notebook everywhere, you just have to plug-in your BlackBerry to any computer, mount your encrypted volume, start MojoPac and you can use your personalized computing environment. Even if you do not use this permanently it is a good way to have an emergency computing environment at hand.

http://www.blackberryinsight.com/200...ur-blackberry/

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: How to put a full-blown Windows Desktop Environment on your BlackBerry

I am confused why do you want Windows on your BB?
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox View Post
    I am confused why do you want Windows on your BB?
    Technically based on that article your not, your using the BB as a storage container. An 8GB memory stick would be better and would also free up the BB for what it was designed for.

bjenkins17 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2427d4b4

I was thinking the same thing about the memory stick. I was making sure I wasn't overlooking an obvious reason someone would do this.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

My thought is if you want Windows that bad - get a Windows Mobile Device
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

I guess the only obvious reason would be that they do not own a memory stick. Every BB owner I know of, both at work and personally, have an average of three memory sticks that they carry. I myself always carry two plus my BB so I for one would see no reason to use the space on my BB for this purpose.

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

It's not so much as to WHY one would want to have a windows environment on their BB, but for some of us out here it's about the knowledge and process in performing such a procedure and having the ability to perform such a process. Why would one want xp on a vista machine? Or for that matter , why would I want to have a triple boot box in which I can boot to either xp, vista or linux? That gives me three os's in one device in which to perform my tasks. (im working on a quad boot that will include osx 10.5 along with the above). It's about knowledge.
    Does this happen to be something for the majority? Hell no. Very small minority in fact. (probably less than 1% ) Will I try the above ? Most likely, I have been thinking of creating a portable os partition since these memory cards have such large capacities. I already do this with mem sticks, in fact I have come across a way to compress multiple os's to my laptop and have the ability to boot into one of 5 os's at anytime. (not the same as a multiboot, works with compression along with a third party boot record skipping the MBR )

SO I guess the question isn't WHY but how and what would you use that ability for...

Caustic.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~caustic, I think you missed the point. It is not about using the BB as the os source but as the storage container to carry it. Personally I would rather use a memory stick and free up my BB for what it does and not stuck to a pc to be the os source.to each their own though, as I said, that is my opinion and there is no need to get flustered about it.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Quote Originally Posted by caustic View Post
    It's not so much as to WHY one would want to have a windows environment on their BB, but for some of us out here it's about the knowledge and process in performing such a procedure and having the ability to perform such a process. Why would one want xp on a vista machine? Or for that matter , why would I want to have a triple boot box in which I can boot to either xp, vista or linux? That gives me three os's in one device in which to perform my tasks. (im working on a quad boot that will include osx 10.5 along with the above). It's about knowledge.
    Does this happen to be something for the majority? Hell no. Very small minority in fact. (probably less than 1% ) Will I try the above ? Most likely, I have been thinking of creating a portable os partition since these memory cards have such large capacities. I already do this with mem sticks, in fact I have come across a way to compress multiple os's to my laptop and have the ability to boot into one of 5 os's at anytime. (not the same as a multiboot, works with compression along with a third party boot record skipping the MBR )

SO I guess the question isn't WHY but how and what would you use that ability for...

Caustic.

Don't forget Apple Classic too. Some nice appies back there
    Happy smiling people

[Grub? LILO? Bootit Next Generation? ]

** I tried an extreme multiple install once [you are right -- it is the thrill of the chase], and at some point interrupted a multi-phase Windows installation and went in with the Recovery Console and mucked around. The issue is to convince Windows Setup to continue nevertheless. Stared in disbelief at what was happening in the manufacturer's hidden partition as well

--
    MY question would be, why would one want Windows ANYWHERE?
    [ Ah, yes. I make money off them... when I fix them for people ]

Otherwise, the answer is NO, thank you. Linux is great...free.. has COMPILERS, for crying out loud ...
    Smartphones running Windows I do not even consider as option.

And with MojoPac we probably won't have formatting issues, need for HP's "magic" util, and the like.

Last edited by gkast1; 02-16-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

BB doesn't support that big of a sd card.
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

Gkast, I can tell already that you are a brother-in-arms tech-aficianado, pleased to meet you my friend. Yep, its about the hunt...an idea/problem, a directions to head in to solve the question, the execution then finally the gratification that you were able to figure out/complete an idea that had no direct solution. And the more who say "why" the better the reason to figure it out. Doughdaddy stated, "why do this, when I can just use my memory sticks?". My answer is "I always carry my phone with me" and "I have never done this before, and I want to know the process in executing the idea". Like why should I carry around memsticks when I have 8 gigs in my phone and I MAY use 1-2 gigs for pics, flix and music? Lots of waisted space there, so I would rather maximize the potentials of my handheld device. (remember, it's not just a phone or a Black Berry, it is a device that can be used to interface with a multitude of devices in several ways..)
    I'm not knocking anyone who has no use for such ideas, to each his own, no doubt. But the question did arise at the top of the discussion as to why someone would want to use their BB in such a manner. So this has been my two Drachmas worth.

Gkast, I like LILO, it does the job well for linux multiboots and is simple to set up for most novices. And yes, Nix is awesome for the reason that you can compile among other things. And you did see where I was looking to add 10.5 to my next project...From what I have experienced 10.5 is pretty robust for an Apple. So I want to have it ready to go at a moments notice...MS has waayy too many flaws as i'm sure you know. But is a necessary evil ( I game quite a bit among some other activities ).

Caustic.

ps,
    I work for VZW and try like hell not to sell any of the win mobile os phones for a variety of reasons.
    Last edited by caustic; 02-17-2008 at 06:14 PM.

dvst8ion no está en línea Stack level 3

This makes no sense to me. Maybe its because I hate windows though!!
    Once you go Black(berry) you'll never go back!!!