[FONT=Verdana]I want to wipe my computer because i cant figure out what is wrong with ... Microsoft Windows forum

nikkturr no está en línea Stack level 1

Please Help

Advertisement

[FONT=Verdana]I want to wipe my computer because i cant figure out what is wrong with it and why it wont connect to my hotel's wireless internet. I am on my other laptop right now and it connects just fine to the hotel's internet. I have never wiped a computer out with vista and i have tried system restore like 50 times but it wont do a full restore. I am 6 hours away from home and my recovery discs are there. Does anyone have an idea what i can do or is there another way to wipe my computer without the discs? Im not sure when i am going home and i really need my toshiba to work. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Thanks[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Nikki[/FONT]

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    it's kinda hard to do a restore without the restore disk......

when you say it wont connect to the internet is there an error your getting ? are you sure your Wireless NIC card is active ? Can you connect to other wireless networks ?

have you scanned your PC for spyware and Malware ?
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

I have defraged it and cleaned it in every way i can think of to do. i have run my AV programs. Im not anywhere near another internet source. My other laptop connects to the internet just fine but my toshiba wont. I have ran the diagnose and repair option on the wireless internet and it keeps saying that a problem still exists and it cant fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkturr View Post
    I have defraged it and cleaned it in every way i can think of to do. i have run my AV programs. Im not anywhere near another internet source. My other laptop connects to the internet just fine but my toshiba wont. I have ran the diagnose and repair option on the wireless internet and it keeps saying that a problem still exists and it cant fix it.
    it might be a hardware issue and if it is then a restore from CD wont fix it....but you cant do a restore if you dont have the disk...

a restore from CD is always my last option...

have you installed anything or removed anything that might have caused this to happen ?

Have you updated the driver for your wireless NIC ?

you could also be blocked by your MAC address on the wireless router at the hotel.....

there are tons of possiblities and a restore may or maynot fix it

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Does the hotel wifi require that a user name and password be entered on their providers web site prior to connecting to the internet?

Almost every hotel I've stayed in required that you open a browser window which showed the homepage from which you enter the user name and password they provide at the front desk.

the windows diagnostic says the "Ip settings on this computer are not valid." but when i click the option to get a new IP it wont do it. thats when it says that the problem still exists and it cant fix it.

this hotel doesnt require a password. i already checked.

go to START

go to RUN

Type in CMD and hit enter

a DOS command prompt appears

type in the following

ipconfig /release and hit ENTER

this will release your IP address

then type

ipconfig /flushdns and hit ENTER

this will flush your DNS settings

then type

ipconfig /renew

this will renew your IP address

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Ice, doesn't the Diagnose and Repair do the same thing or does your way do it more "forcefully"?

i tried it and the cmd says each time that the requested operation requires elevation. when i do the last step ipconfig/renew, it says that no operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected. what the heck does that mean.

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Ice, doesn't the Diagnose and Repair do the same thing or does your way do it more "forcefully"?

This way forces it from the DOS Shell level...and will display your results

Quote Originally Posted by nikkturr View Post
    i tried it and the cmd says each time that the requested operation requires elevation. when i do the last step ipconfig/renew, it says that no operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected. what the heck does that mean.
    Sounds like your TCP/IP settings got hiJacked....at this point it would be easier for you to restore....unlesss u got experience with networking and protocols

i dont. so pretty much im just screwed right now since i dont have the discs? ok well thanks for your help and time.

stephenx no está en línea Stack level 1
    Can someone please tell me what version of blackberry supports Hungarian language for 7100v? If you can please give me a link to it if its possible. Thank you.

kingbapho no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3024BC9C
    I know it sounds lame but do it in a new user you create on the this will tell you if its a system wide or user specific issue , if it works there is some software interfering with your connection I know this works 99% of the time , its how we test things at apple and at my other job with IBM

If it doesn't work on a new user you might wanna try running msconfug to see what stuff at startup might be causing this
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~