I just purchased a new dual core laptop (64 bit) running Vista business. When I ... Microsoft Windows forum

ablefton no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24a0f56c

Desktop Manager 4.3 disappears...is it Vista?

Advertisement

I just purchased a new dual core laptop (64 bit) running Vista business. When I install version 4.3 of Desktop Manager, it installs fine, but when I attempt to run it, it just flashes on the screen for a millesecond and then disappears. I've done a clean uninstall and reinstalled, but it doesn't help.

Does anyone have an idea of whether it's the 64 bit version of Vista Business that's causing this problem, and whether the 32 bit version would be better?

I've had very little problem installing other software on this platform. Thanks for the help.

-------------------------------
    Andrew (Gaithersburg, MD)

Doc Hunter no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Thumbs up

I had no end of problems when I switched from my XP machine to a new Vista machine. Got lots of advice; none of which works. I stumbles across this explanation and it WORKED. http://www.sturmnet.org/blog/archive...ktop-on-vista/
    Doc Hunter
    20a9d722

PIN/ID
    24a0f56c
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Hunter View Post
    I had no end of problems when I switched from my XP machine to a new Vista machine. Got lots of advice; none of which works. I stumbles across this explanation and it WORKED. http://www.sturmnet.org/blog/archive...ktop-on-vista/
    Thank you. I thought we had this thing licked. I followed the 'sturmnet' advise; everything moved along as predicted, including registering vbscript.dll, but when I tried DTM 4.3, I had the same result....a mini-flash and no application. I'm stuck. Thanks though for the help. Somehow, I think it has to do with Vista64, but I can't, so far, figure out the problem.
    :cry:

PIN/ID
    24a0f56c

One answer to DTM 4.3 disappearing in Vista

Quote Originally Posted by ablefton View Post
    Thank you. I thought we had this thing licked. I followed the 'sturmnet' advise; everything moved along as predicted, including registering vbscript.dll, but when I tried DTM 4.3, I had the same result....a mini-flash and no application. I'm stuck. Thanks though for the help. Somehow, I think it has to do with Vista64, but I can't, so far, figure out the problem.
    :cry:

For the past week I've been struggling trying to get Desktop Mgr 4.3 to work nicely with Vista Business. It would install OK (I thought), but then when started would flash on the screen, but then disappear.

It turns out that it wasn't Vista at all. I'm not sure what it was, but when I shut off all unnecessary start-up devices, restarted, and then ran the DTM installer, the install went smoothly and so did DTM 4.3. Be sure to do a clean uninstall, and then turn off all the start-up devices you can. Then install; it should work OK after that. Good luck.

fCastle no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Did a complete uninstall on my vista home premium, killed all startups and did a fresh install. Zippo! Still a flash then gone. How annoying.

Psylock no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24343e48
    The biggest thing to remeber when installing dm is that you have to have UAC turned on for all accounts. Was having this same problem until I set UAC to on for all accoints on a clean install under vista ultimate. Once it is installed and running you should be able to shut down UAC if you want.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Make sure also if you are uninstalling, to go into the registry and perform a clean uninstall by deleting it out of the registry, rebooting, and then attempting a re-install