Per the Microsoft Windows Life-Cycle policy, Direct OEM and Retail License Availability for Windows XP ... Microsoft Windows forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Dell extends Microsoft Windows XP OS sales!

Advertisement

Per the Microsoft Windows Life-Cycle policy, Direct OEM and Retail License Availability for Windows XP will End-Of-Life (EOL) on June 30, 2008. To meet Microsoft’s June 30 last-day-to-ship OEM Windows XP deadline, we are able to offer the opportunity to purchase a Dell desktop with an OEM Windows XP license until June 26 at 5:59 AM CT.

[Read More]

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm glad to see Dell do this. Sometimes I think I'm living a very old foggy life style - I just bought Lenovo T61 and opted for the Windows XP instead of VISTA. I usually love getting new releases of software but it seems that software has gotten more and more problematic with the "onus" to report and solve problems on the consumer. (I'm not referring to beta releases either.)

I don't know how much longer Lenovo will make this available - I understand that support for Win XP ends sometime in 2012. Maybe by then, VISTA will be less of a problem and more of a "friend" to the consumer and his/her needs as a user as well as the software and hardware issues.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    If they are going to end support for XP and try and force users to get Vista, they should provide the upgrade free for current and long time XP users.

I kinda find it unfair that they are trying to force the new OS by stopping support for XP, and not offering XP anymore.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky13mt View Post
    If they are going to end support for XP and try and force users to get Vista, they should provide the upgrade free for current and long time XP users.

I kinda find it unfair that they are trying to force the new OS by stopping support for XP, and not offering XP anymore.
    I'm not sure that free upgrades would prove very profitable for any company - I'm not a MS fan but companies HAVE To make money somehow and charging for upgrades is fairly normal business practice.

Also, the norm is that software comes and goes, as newer software comes along - all pretty ordinary. The thing about VISTA is that it was written specifically to NOT support many existing software packages AND hardware devices! Not only did the new VISTA user have to face the expense of buying the OS but, in order to use it like they wanted to, was forced to buy many new (if they existed) software packages and a some new hardware for running it.

Plus, reading early reports, VISTA itself wasn't a very "finished" package when issued - I read of MANY problems with the software. How many times did we read the VISTA "pioneer" say they wish they had waited to move to VISTA (at least) until SP1 was out? IMO, MS really screwed up on this one and left a bad taste in a lot its user's mouths.

As I've said in other posts, my plan is to move to Linux and never go to VISTA. I'm actually running parallel XP/Linux systems now - haven't gotten very far in the BB world but I'm working on it.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com