Hi all, I'm Mats (42/Male/Swedish) . I've been in Dubai for almost two years now, ... Africa/Middle East Stackers forum

matseng no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2538833c

New Curve user in Dubai

Advertisement

Hi all, I'm Mats (42/Male/Swedish) . I've been in Dubai for almost two years now, working as the CTO for a small company in the financial sector - and enjoying every day I've been here...

I just got a Curve 8310 to replace my broken O2 Atom Exec PDA (so far I'm really glad that I took the leap into the BB world)... But there's one thing I'd like to do with it - replace the keytops into tops with english only. The arabic characters makes it really hard to see the english characters on them. Does anyone know if it's possible to do that here in Dubai?

Anyhow, my PIN is 2538833c, feel free to add me.

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA
    welcome matseng

Always wanted to visit Dubai!

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    You could try this, scroll down and look at the keypad replacement. Kinda pricey, but it may be worth it to you.

http://www.bbrepairshop.com/repair-8300.html

Edit:

Oh and welcome to the stacks!
    Last edited by chatster18; 03-15-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: welcome
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    hey Mats, welcome from the heartland, USA! When you get enough posts, send me a personal message if you want.

mrmoe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Hey Mat, Welcome to Pinstack. Feel free to chat with us live:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/chat.php
    Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.
    | The DarkSide of PinStack | FAQ | Downloads |

PIN/ID
    2538833c
    Hey guys, thank you for the friendly welcome.

chatster18: Yea, that was a bit pricey. $70 for the keyboard and then like another $70 for the DHL shipping.. Hmm... That's about 1/3rd of what I payed for the Curve itself.. I think that I'll stick to the multilangual keyboards for a while longer. In a week or two I'll probably have memorized where all the special characters are on the keyboard.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    Welcome!

Dubai is my dream place.

PIN/ID
    2538833c
    It's great to be here, but at the same time a bit strange and crazy.

Imagine a place that is a cross between New York (highrises & towers), Miami Beach (sun, fancy cars, tourists, and girls with "enhanced" body parts) Arizona (120F in the summer, sand and some mountains) and a bit of Las Vegas(money, glitz ans flashy stuff) and you have Dubai. Then add taxfree salaries that are (for westerners) double that you have at home before taxes are deducted and "servants" that fill your cheap gas, bags your groceries and delivers you food home for next to notning...

And at the same time you have the Islamic culture with mosques with prayer calls, they stop playing music in the shops in the stores in the malls at prayer time, males holding hands when they walk down the street but it's taboo for a male/femaile couple to to that. And on top of that the Ramadan for one month where everything grinds to a almost halt during daytime and the nights is the time when everyone is meeting and eating...

The duality of the culture in Dubai really blows my mind...

Only 10% of the population here is Emiratis, the rest of us here are (temporary) immigrants. I really don't know what I would think of it if Sweden was populated by 90% people not born in the country. It must feel strange to be a minority in one own country.

It's really something different from the "good old (read boring) swedish" culture. We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto :-)

Well, now it's enough with off-topic ranting.... On-topic: I still like my BB ;-)