I'm not a new Blackberry user but I am new to crackberry and registered purely ... Southern US Stackers forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Question T-mobile Blackberry user in Little Rock

Advertisement

I'm not a new Blackberry user but I am new to crackberry and registered purely to discuss infor about T-mobile coverage and service. I recently left a cdma provider after 12 years with them because:

- I wanted a GSM provider - occasional international usage
    - T-Mobiles customer service is outstanding, even though their coverage isn't that great
    - to save a few bucks because I don't use the Enterprise service and I don't have to pay for it with T-mobile
    - T-mobile offers the best pre-pay, no contract plan

I live in Little Rock, AR, and I'd like to hear from members who use T-mobile specifically to discuss problems, and to explore research for advice and info re: future possiblities with T-mobile. Right now, Little Rock doesn't even have EDGE coverage - I'm existing using GPRS and it's a slow sacrifice using my pearl on the internet. I'm considering the 8320 just to get Wi-Fi to increase the speed at home and in hot spot areas?

Any similar users out there?

Later,
    jblackfish

dtole no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: T-mobile Blackberry user in Little Rock

J, first of all allow me to be the first to welcome you to Pinstack...

Secondly, I would definately recommend the 8320, some of my clients have the blackberry and there are so impressed with the WiFi features...Especially to be able to be at a HotSpot and make calls for free!!

Let me know what you think...
    D-Tole

Smile Re: T-mobile Blackberry user in Little Rock

dtole,

Thanks for the reply. I am definately thinking strongly about the 8320. All the reviews have been spectacular and, as I said the wi-fi is a stong incentive. One thing I'm waiting for is to see if I can get a new 8120 (Pearl with wi-fi) somewhere - it's only available in Europe but I'm currently using a European Pearl that came from O2 so why not. I like the smallness of the pearl and I like the larger screen of the 8320. Wishy washy for now but there will definately be a wi-fi blackberry in my future.

Since technology changes SO FAST, I may wait a few months to see if BB comes out with one of these things with both wi-fi AND GPS.

Thanks again,
    John

Inform_1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Fancy meeting you here, I'm a just newly baptized stacker, too. Is it even worth keeping T-Mo in little rock? I had to do away with it because I was lucky to get a couple bars. T-Mobile is great, it's littlerock that suffers as far as coverage.

Murfunit no está en línea Stack level 2

One caveat about TMo and WIFI: If you're thinking of using it for email and browsing, be warned that you may find yourself dropping calls. The WIFI is mainly designed to allow WIFI calling (UMA) and as such does it badly. The transitions from cell to wifi are not always reliable. Also, the WIFI is testy - it works on some routers not at all on others.

I had a TMo 8320. Absolutely LOVED the phone, but had to keep WIFI turned off, or set to secondary source (GSM Network preferred), in order to be able to use the phone for calls anyplace other than a TMo hotspot.

Plus, I didn't notice any significant speed increase when using WIFI for browsing. Not enough to make the hasstle of dropping cals when connected to WIFI worth it.
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Hi and Welcome to Pinstack!
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Inform_1 View Post
    Fancy meeting you here, I'm a just newly baptized stacker, too. Is it even worth keeping T-Mo in little rock? I had to do away with it because I was lucky to get a couple bars. T-Mobile is great, it's littlerock that suffers as far as coverage.
    I don't know whether it's worth it or not. I used Alltel for 12 years and the coverage was good everywhere I traveled in the US - also the Blackberry support was good and reasonably fast. I decided to switch to a GSM carrier recently because of the international possibilities. I went to France last Sept. with an unlocked phone, bought a French SIM card and using the phone over there was literally as good as a land line.

As I said before, the T-mobile customer support is what keeps me using them so far and that's not going to be good enough for the long term. I may have to give up the GSM - I don't think At&t is anyone I want to deal with although they may be better and those are the two choices. Verizon has the world phone but ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Murfunit View Post
    One caveat about TMo and WIFI: If you're thinking of using it for email and browsing, be warned that you may find yourself dropping calls. The WIFI is mainly designed to allow WIFI calling (UMA) and as such does it badly. The transitions from cell to wifi are not always reliable. Also, the WIFI is testy - it works on some routers not at all on others.

I had a TMo 8320. Absolutely LOVED the phone, but had to keep WIFI turned off, or set to secondary source (GSM Network preferred), in order to be able to use the phone for calls anyplace other than a TMo hotspot.

Plus, I didn't notice any significant speed increase when using WIFI for browsing. Not enough to make the hasstle of dropping cals when connected to WIFI worth it.
    Thanks VERY MUCH for the info - it's depressing information but not surprising to know...and you may have saved me $500 for a wi-fi phone though. I know the 8320 is a great phone but if the wi-fi does nothing to increase speed in surfing the internet and also contributes to call degradation it's hardly worth getting. Of course remember that my internet surfing speed here in Little Rock is a GPRS level speed. I can't even get EDGE support...at all here.
    THanks,
    J

Just a thought: If you don't travel abroad (read: Europe) THAT often, (if it's just a once in a while thing) and if when there you don't need the data features of a BB, maybe you're better off keeping an unlocked 'throw-away' GSM phone (I have a Razr from AT&T that I had unlocked for international travel) and go back to your AllTel (Or Verizon) for your Blackberry.

I went from verizon to AT&T (Caught up in the iPhone craze) to TMo for the $19.99 BB plan and now have come full circle back to Verizon and an 8830. Neither AT&T or TMo could deliver the connection for both voice and data that Verizon can. Same with Alltel. I've placed my AT&T Razr side by side with a friend's Alltel Razr and my older Verizon Razr. I had one, MAYBE 2 bars on the AT&T. She had a solid 4. My Verizon Razr had 4 to 5.

GSM may be flexible but CDMA (At last Verizon and Alltel CDMA) is a better quality network IMHO.

Good points all and thanks for staying with me on this. I already have an unlocked Moto W480 that could serve as a international phone. In fact, I may get a SIM card (Passport PLUS, that currently works in 110 countries and is cheap to use abroad too) for $50 that I could afford to keep forever, renew when necessary, etc.

Tmo's $20 for the BB plan was a draw for me too - I was paying $45/mo w/ Alltel and not using the Enterprise anyway. Maybe I'll check out Verizon. I looked at the "world phone" business a few months ago but one of the reps said I'd be better off to just buy a European SIM and use it if I didn't travel overseas often which I don't - or rent a phone for my trips or ?

Of course U S coverage is important too - I actually bought a TMO to-go plan (still have it too) before I switched to check out the coverage on my more routine travels and found it to be great everywhere I went. Naturally it seems to have deteriorated some since my switch. I recently couldn't get ANY coverage in E Texas where my mom lives and it was great there two months before. One explanation from an objective (other) provider in that area was that AT&T and TMO are involved in some regional disputes over allowing the exchange of roaming privileges - this is a mess...and on it goes...but I love having discovered Pinstack and the exchange of info.
    Thanks again,
    jb

Verizon's BB plan is also $45/month ($44.95 to be exact)

I'm in the Metro NY area. Coverage SHOULDN'T be an issue for me but with the TMo data it was. In my home office I had 3 bars on my Curve. I moved to the bedroom, not 20 feet away, and couldn't connect "You do not have adequate connection for data transfers". I was not amused. My husband's AT&T Curve does not have those issues. AT&T's BB plan is only $29/month. If you want to stay below the $45/month figure that might be an option. All you need then is an unlocked 8320 or their own 9310. (WIFI vs GPS)

To be fair however, don't judge TMo based on their PrePaid network. In actuality the PrePaid and PostPaid phones operate on different networks

If you want another viewpoint/explanation regarding WIFI performance on a BB read through THIS POST. (Just wade through the grousing and vows of iPhone heaven. There's some good points about WIFI speed in there :P )
    Last edited by Murfunit; 12-15-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Smile Re: T-mobile Blackberry user in Little Rock

Murfunit,

Thanks again for the info- I checked out much of the wi-fi thread until I couldn't take any more of it. I think I surmised that there are some good qualities and bad qualities in it, more trouble in some cases to make it work, no particular increase in speed using it, that data plans are almost required to make the BB perform as it should, etc. I don't know that I have a particular NEED for the wi-fi right now - it just sounded like a neat feature to play with and possibly enhance my coverage and internet experience. Now I'm not so sure that I need to spend $500 for a new phone and a headache or two since, especially as long as I'm with T-Mobile, my main issue will be coverage when I'm on the move.

One statement that you made that I don't understand is that pre-paid and post-paid phones run on different networks. With my recent provider change, one thing I decided is that I will never have another contract so... I am now using an unlocked, O2 pearl (on a Tmo Flex pay plan) bought from a 3d-party supplier. (It could have come from T-Mobile - it just happed to come from O2.)
    My wife is on the same plan using a "regular" unlocked phone and I also have a Tmo "to go" Motorola W490. Because these phones are all used on a pre-paid plan, are you saying that they're put (by Tmobile) on a separate, possibly inferior plan?

Maybe if I want a new toy I should get a GPS receiver and play with that in conjunction with Google maps.

Thanks again for all your help.
    jb

shadrack2002 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    248906D0

T-Mobile is pretty good, but little Rock is very bad in courage area. If you get 3-4 or as many different T-Mobile user to call customer service and do a trouble ticket, they will definately do some up grading to the service in the area. Sometime even putting up a new towers.
    I was told that by an inside source.

Thanks. Maybe some Little Rock area TMO users will read this and contact me or just call customer service. I've already talked to them many times but not about opening a trouble ticket. I guess that can be next.
    jb