Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have seen quite a few threads for Christians on here and figured I would ... Southern US Stackers forum

disctosser no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

Any ex-Christian stackers?

Advertisement

I have seen quite a few threads for Christians on here and figured I would see if there are any fellow apostates lurking in the stacks.

Short version:

Raised conservative non-denominational from the day I was born. Graduated from small private bible college in TN. Left the faith after my freshman year but finished out my degree in Biblical Theology and Media Communications.

Anyone else?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Not to be degrading or judgemental in ANY way-how does one lose his/her faith? If a person receives Christ truly in their heart, how do they unaccept Christ? Im just curious, Im not being critical.

PIN/ID
    ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Not to be degrading or judgemental in ANY way-how does one lose his/her faith? If a person receives Christ truly in their heart, how do they unaccept Christ? Im just curious, Im not being critical.
    No offense taken in the least Chokem.

I don't think of it as 'unaccepting' Christ, but rather the realization that I don't feel I ever needed to accept him in first place, nor did my 'accepting' of him in the first place mean anything.

It is really a major change in the way you think about everything. To have something you have believed in so adamantly for so long, be turned upside down is a humbling experience.

I didn't start this thread to bash Christianity or Christians. I actually can't tell you that Christianity is false, just that I don't believe it. My wife is a Christian as are the majority of family and friends.

Like I said above, its a difficult experience to go through, losing ones faith after so long. I just figured it would be nice seeing if there are any others like me out here on the stacks.

I am definitely open to discussions, but I would prefer to do so over Pin or bb messenger. That way I don't step on any toes.

Peace and love

BiggDaddyDutch no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by disctosser View Post
    No offense taken in the least Chokem.

I don't think of it as 'unaccepting' Christ, but rather the realization that I don't feel I ever needed to accept him in first place, nor did my 'accepting' of him in the first place mean anything.

It is really a major change in the way you think about everything. To have something you have believed in so adamantly for so long, be turned upside down is a humbling experience.

I didn't start this thread to bash Christianity or Christians. I actually can't tell you that Christianity is false, just that I don't believe it. My wife is a Christian as are the majority of family and friends.

Like I said above, its a difficult experience to go through, losing ones faith after so long. I just figured it would be nice seeing if there are any others like me out here on the stacks.

I am definitely open to discussions, but I would prefer to do so over Pin or bb messenger. That way I don't step on any toes.

Peace and love
    I could not agree with you more on this. This is something that i am currently going through now. I don't believe that i have unaccepted Christ, rather making my own self revelations.
    Cheers
    BiggDaddy
    my thumbs hurt.......

labevlol no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    BREEEEEE
    Love ittt. I was raised catholic and attended private catholic schools from preschool through highschool. Although I don't doubt existance I'm worn out. I have been away from church for about two years and refuse to look back.feel free to pin me anytime ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    all points well taken, as I said Im not here to judge, I was just curious. everyone is ultimately responsible for his or her own salvation or lack there of.

PIN/ID
    ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by labevlol View Post
    Love ittt. I was raised catholic and attended private catholic schools from preschool through highschool. Although I don't doubt existance I'm worn out. I have been away from church for about two years and refuse to look back.feel free to pin me anytime ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

My inlaws have been in town for the holidays and they are catholic. I have been to more catholic Masses and seen 'Song of Bernadette' more times than I can count in the past two weeks.

PIN/ID
    ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDutch View Post
    I could not agree with you more on this. This is something that i am currently going through now. I don't believe that i have unaccepted Christ, rather making my own self revelations.
    Well, if you ever need to talk to someone who has been through it, PM or pin me

pin:318dcef8

Peace and love

jbean7916 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    245A99C3
    I'm the same way. Raised non-denominational stopped going to church when I was 17 or so and haven't been back since. My biggest annoyance with the church was those that felt it was their right to pick and choose what to follow. I'm an all or nothing type person, no if it couldn't be all I chose nothing.
    disctosser, have you read Letters to a Christian Nation? Its a really good read!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

labevlol no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    BREEEEEE
    I didn't mean to sound offensive wasjust simply chiming in. I'm sure one day ill return to church and religion just for now I'm very uninterested~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    ask me!
    It should never be about returning to religion if you ask me. More about reevaluating your spirituality.
    That was one of the big things for me, realizing that sprituality is not monopolozed by the bible and church.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by labevlol View Post
    I didn't mean to sound offensive wasjust simply chiming in. I'm sure one day ill return to church and religion just for now I'm very uninterested~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    drive real careful and don't do any skydiving.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbean7916 View Post
    I'm the same way. Raised non-denominational stopped going to church when I was 17 or so and haven't been back since. My biggest annoyance with the church was those that felt it was their right to pick and choose what to follow. I'm an all or nothing type person, no if it couldn't be all I chose nothing.
    disctosser, have you read Letters to a Christian Nation? Its a really good read!

I haven't read that. I will look for it. Right now I am knee deep in Holy Blood, Holy Grail. Its amazing. Speculatory, but amazing.

I must say that the discrepancies between the OT and the NT were a big eye opener for me when I was started studying more. Why we must follow some rules of the OT and not others always escaped me.

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a
    Very interesting posts in here. I just wanted to share that I am a Christian, and I have been where many of you are right now.

I grew up and none of my family was believers. I always knew there was something out there. Aliens that maybe implated our DNA into the earth which gave birth to life. I also thought of polytheism, the belief of a mulitiude of deities, such as Egyptian and Roman mythologies. I then thought the two were tied together.

When I was about 15 my parents gave themselves to Christ and the Christian faith, and I wanted no part of it. I rejected their faith while still trying to respect it as much as I could help it. I then started believing that there was power and potential within the human body and mind. I heavily believed in psychic abilities, sixth senses, and started looking into witchcraft to unlock those powers.

I necessarily didn't have a scary experience with witchcraft, but had discovered I was playing with a dark force. There was a being in my house. It took on human shape but was like a shadow. I didn't know what it was, but around the time this happened there was a change in my family. My Christian stepfather who had given up drinking drove into drinking binge. He went missing a good week or so, not heard of or anything. My mother would wake up in the middle of the night screaming she was being attacked by claws that came from beneath her bed. Physical wounds were never present, but her emotions and faith was diminishing.

After I decided not to try and unlock my potentials my stepfather came home. He didnt' want to go to rehab, but we dragged him there anyways. My mother was afraid she had lost her love for him and for God. It took a while but my Step-father gave up alcohol again, and through a lot of work their marriage was mending.

My senior year of high school, after a big butt-whooping in my history class of my beliefs verses the beliefs of 85% of my Christian classmates (at a non-Christian school), I decided to put my faith elsewhere. I went through my first few months totally uber-Christian, then entered into my own downfall. I decided to step away from faith so I wouldn't have to feel acountable to the things Christianity didn't approve of like alcohol, cigarettes, and sex.

There came a point when the weight of those things became unbearable for me to continue in living a lifestyle of worldy pleasures. Partying was fun, but it came with consequences. There is always consequences to our actions. I felt the urge to give those pleasures to Christ and my faith has not waivered since. My walk grow's as much or as little as I allow God to do it.

Now I am not sure what's going on in all of your lives to cause you to take your faith elsewhere. I'm not trying to step on your toes. I normally try to refrain from saying too much about things like this in a Blackberry... ahem, excuse me... Smartphone Forum, seeing how discussions of religions, politics, or anything racial can get you kicked out of the Stacks.

I do not mean to offend anyone, your choice is your choice. But MOD has kept this thread along with CHristian THreads and Muslim Threads and Gay Threads open. I'm not commenting to bash any of your beliefs, it is your right to believe what you want without fear of persecution. This is the freedom we have in this country and I respect all of you as people and fellow blackberry users.

I just wanted to share that I've been where you've been, and I'm no longer there. If that's okay, cool! And if you guys don't mind, I would like to keep you in my prayers.

Well whatever your beliefs are, keep on PINing and Stacking. Though we might not see eye to eye on spiritual matters... we love technology, and technology rocks. Blackberry rocks!

Peace and chicken grease!
    Last edited by Justyn; 01-08-2009 at 04:13 AM.
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

PIN/ID
    ask me!
    Justyn,

Enjoyed your post. Looks like you have done a heap of searching to finally end up where you are.

As far as what caused me to take my faith elsewhere, I started noticing similarities in those Egyptian and Roman religions you mentioned. Particularly aspects that predated Christianity by a few thousand years. It was quite the eye opener.

A couple good reads for anyone who is interested are 'Celsus: on the true doctrine' and 'Jesus Mysteries'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast