I have heard other people state they have gotten telenav to work on 8700g even ... Bluetooth Connectivity forum

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4

telenav / 8700g / Bluetooth GPS receiver

Advertisement

I have heard other people state they have gotten telenav to work on 8700g even though techinically it's not supported. I am looking for suggestions for what bluetooth GPS receiver to try. Just buy the one on telenav's site? I was looking for something reliable but not super expensive
    Nikki
    iPhone 4S - work
    Samsung Galaxy SII - personal
    Supporting BB, android and iOs devices at work.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: telenav / 8700g / Bluetooth GPS receiver

Not sure Techie, I would probably buy one from Telenav since they are the GPS provider. Anyone else have any input for our dear TechieGirl?

Garrison no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23DA5687

Pharos iGPS-BT Is what I can find from another user on another website. He said to enter GPS RFcom in Telenav settings for GPS device. He has this working with his 8700g on TMobile. Does this help?
    Have you seen my stapler?

Garrison no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23DA5687

One must update the TCP APN: to wap.voicestream.com. as well sorry I forgot this.
    Have you seen my stapler?

pbaird no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm using telenav on my 8700g with complete success. Check out gpspassion.com for reviews of gps units. I use a unit by i-Blue and am very happy with it. It acquires quickly, has great battery life, and a good pricetag. the other unit I looked at getting was the GlobalSat BT-338
    To be fair to other retailers, I would suggest looking at semsons.com, buygpsnow.com, and amazon.com when you are ready to buy.

johnnyh no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23d4732b

Can you give me a little background on how to use the 8700 with gps, bear in mind I have no idea how it works currently. I was considering buying a tomtom or nuvi. I guess this may be a less expensive solution. I would appreciate the idiots guide, what hardware and software is required etc ?

ccl27 no está en línea Stack level 1

Pbaird, can you elaborate a bit? Telenav doesn't even allow you to subscribe with a 8700g from T-mobile. Check out the telenav forum (For some reason I can't post URL's).

Thanks, very intersted.

ccl27 no está en línea Stack level 1

Sorry, just go to telenav website, >forum, >search, >8700g

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

TechieGirl I'm going to go out on a limb as suggest a different solution to using you phone and a Bluetooth Puck for GPS. Since you still need a second item, The GPS Puck, and an online addon service to effectively use GPS on your 8700, as separate dedicated GPS unit may work out better. It requires no second service, has built in maps and routing solutions and doesn't have a monthly cost associated with it. And you can still use it while on a phone call or when receiving messages.

Just my opinion.
    Hope it helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    TechieGirl I'm going to go out on a limb as suggest a different solution to using you phone and a Bluetooth Puck for GPS. Since you still need a second item, The GPS Puck, and an online addon service to effectively use GPS on your 8700, as separate dedicated GPS unit may work out better. It requires no second service, has built in maps and routing solutions and doesn't have a monthly cost associated with it. And you can still use it while on a phone call or when receiving messages.

Just my opinion.
    Hope it helps
    Rcbjr.
    Is there a model you would recommend ? Also I was hoping for a device/service that would allow me to get turn by turn voice instructions...is this possible with the device you mention? Thanks for your help...as you can tell I am a complete novice when it comes to this
    Nikki
    iPhone 4S - work
    Samsung Galaxy SII - personal
    Supporting BB, android and iOs devices at work.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

TechieGirl, Look for the later models of Garmin and Magellin. These are a couple of the oldest and most common Personal GPS manufacturers. There are others also, but I have never dealt with them. Personally, I am partial to Garmin, but that's just my choice. All the newer Mapping GPS have on screen routine with turn directions as you approach and some have voice capabilities.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

ania_j78 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by pbaird
    I'm using telenav on my 8700g with complete success. Check out gpspassion.com for reviews of gps units. I use a unit by i-Blue and am very happy with it. It acquires quickly, has great battery life, and a good pricetag. the other unit I looked at getting was the GlobalSat BT-338
    To be fair to other retailers, I would suggest looking at semsons.com, buygpsnow.com, and amazon.com when you are ready to buy.
    How did you manage to get a satelite signal?
    I can connect to I-Blue Gps via Bluetooth connection from my BB 8700 but there is no satelite signal. I acctually called RIM support and they said gps receiver is not a supported device. I was just ready to return the stuff, when I found your post.