Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I was on the bus the other day reading some PicoNews, and this other ... Bluetooth Connectivity forum

rivviepop no está en línea Stack level 2

Business Card "beam" method/applet?

Advertisement

So I was on the bus the other day reading some PicoNews, and this other BB user struck up a conversation, we chattered about this and that (he was more a biz-guy, so I was throwing out some nerd tips and techie junk for him about Sync and such). My stop snuck up on me and I had to rush off the bus, but he managed to get a biz card out in time to hand to me.

OK so what I would have rather done is we just wave our BB handsets at each other and exchange "cards" - if you think back to the days of yore, Nokia started this with their IR ports and being able to beam contact info to a neighbor. Is there something I'm not seeing here in my BB to set this up and make it happen?

I don't really want a 3rd party app, since you'd never know what the other BB has installed on it. I guess if it would work, it'd be bluetooth or something? Any ideas, what do you guys do?

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: Business Card "beam" method/applet?

BBs don't have IR ports. teh only way to do it would be via Bluetooth.

What do I do? I scan the business card and synch.

Yeah I hear you -- I'm sort of looking for a more paperless route, though. I never carry biz cards, I'm more the backend systems type who doesn't network like that. But, I always have my phone on me!

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Quote Originally Posted by rivviepop
    Yeah I hear you -- I'm sort of looking for a more paperless route, though. I never carry biz cards, I'm more the backend systems type who doesn't network like that. But, I always have my phone on me!
    Set up a sig block and send an email.

dwagman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sending an email with a sig requires enough time to acquire someones email address and the correct spelling of the address. It would be much easier to just send a vcardn type file over Bluetooth, if only it were possible. It is disappointing that there is no built in way to "beam" contact info.

crutcherk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3280610B

You can e-mail or PIN a contact to another BB. I have used this method to exchange info. You can then just save the attachment to your BB contacts.
    Create a contact for your self that you can use to exchange your info. Similar to the palm card exchange.

kpishdadi no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Vcards are the standard these days. IR is a dead technology with Bluetooth out now. I would like the ability to bt a vcard. That would be cool!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

There really aren't any good work arounds. I suggest emailing this to bbsuggestions@rim.com.

braz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask

At times what I do if I run out of business cards, I forward my vcard to the person. Everyone knows their email address its a rather simple thing to ask and send them a email on the fly.

Matter of fact I cant tell you how many times I have lost a business card that were given to me the night before. Sending an email to that person while im in front of them removes all the risk of loosing the card etc. And my contact info is sitting in their inbox when they get to work.

Works for me. Got a better solution let me know.
    braz
    www.pdi-inc.net
    Imaging Done Right

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

I pretty much do the same thing...

I have an entry in my address book for myself with all my information that I would want to give someone.

So I just get their email address, compose an email, then click the trackwheel/trackball in the body of the email, go to attach address, and send it...

I appreciate all the replies and ideas -- I'm looking at the various options of course, and what seems like the perfect missing puzzle piece is if the builtin BB Messenger had a bluetooth "broadcast my PIN" feature as well as a "listen for broadcasted PINS", it seems like this could be simple yet elegant.

As dwagman says, it depends on how you're moving -- in my case it's public transit all over the city, where you're frequently out of hands (sic) and getting the time to get an email address correctly typed isn't all that possible. Not that it can't be done, it's just darn inconvenient -- "waving my balckberry at them" (like BB Messenger broadcasting my PIN) for a quick PIN exchange would rock.

dwagman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

That is really neat, the PIN broadcast in BB Messenger, but my old 7290 doesn't have BB messenger. What about all those "old-schoolers" without the pearl (or newer models)?

seabird no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2054DDE6

Yes, I have been wanting this for a while. You can receive a vcard if you actually go through media receive via bt, but then you have to pair the devices (requires code) and then when you have it, you can't open it untill you take it off your memory card into your computer and then sync it back... Terrible solution.. I hope this is solved rather quick, because the bt a vcard was ideal...

rsamms no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Thumbs down No Bluetooth OBEX service in BB

I just got my first BB (870) a month ago. My previous phones included Nokia E61 and Sony-Ericsson P910, and p800 as well as a few forgettable Windows Mobile phones. The BT implementation on the Sony and Nokia phones allowed 'beaming' address cards and other data, Pictures , etc to other compatible BT phones and Computers (Macs, or PC's equipped with the right BT adapter). If you attempt to browse the 8700 with the MAC BT browser, or attempt to beam a file to the 8700, you get the message, "device does not have the neccessary services".
    RIM has excluded the Bluetooth OBEX (object exchange) service from their BT stack, probably as a security measure. Unfortunate, as it's a very convenient feature, which could easily be turned off in individual HH's by IT policy, or firewall rule.

Robin

nickgust no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ED7D94

Sounds like there is no easy way to make a digital business card since your device is not aware of what is around it. Unlike when you hand the person a card, trying to do the same via a wide area network must require a destination address and now you are back at asking for the email or other handle. Is there really a work around?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast