I just upgraded to an 8100 and this is my first foray into Blutooth. I ... Bluetooth Connectivity forum

GregBurch no está en línea Stack level 1

Bluetooth Headset Problem

Advertisement

I just upgraded to an 8100 and this is my first foray into Blutooth. I bought a Jabra BT620s combination stereo headset and phone. I've gone through all the steps to marry it up the phone, which the 8100 says I've done properly. The headset works fine as a phone, but I'm not getting sound through them from the media player -- that's still coming only out of the phone's speaker.

I've looked for some menu item throughout the 8100 that would choose using the headset as the music/media output device, but no joy. Am I missing something?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, as using the 8100 as a media player was the main reason I got it and replaced my old crackberry.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Bluetooth Headset Problem

I don't think the 8100 supports the profile to use BT for media. Can anyone with a 8100 confirm the BT stacks and profiles?

Quote Originally Posted by dasupaman23
    I don't think the 8100 supports the profile to use BT for media. Can anyone with a 8100 confirm the BT stacks and profiles?
    A site called store.allblackberry.com specifically states that its compatible -- but hey, it's just some pixels on a screen ... it could be BS. (I'd post the link, but I'ma newbie here.)

I'd feel like a real dufus if I shelled out for this headset and it doesn't work.

BTW, I'm having the same problem with the small Anycom HS-890 Mono earbud-type headest -- works for the phone fine, but no joy for the music.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

I just checked phonescoop ( http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1053 ) and it does not metion the Pearl having A2DP. It doesn't mention here http://www.bbhub.com/2006/09/07/ok-h...-in-one-place/ either.

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

I havent been able to get the bluetooth headset to work with the media player either. I thought it was just me.

Quote Originally Posted by dasupaman23
    While I'm pretty technically savvy in some areas, I've always left support for my Blackberry to the corporate geeks. I'm so jazzed about the Pearl, though, I'd be willing to learn.

So is this a hardware issues, or is something that a software upgrade and/or tinkering on my own part could fix?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Are you wanting to play video or music through the Bluetooth? Music is quite possible, video is not.

Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    Are you wanting to play video or music through the Bluetooth? Music is quite possible, video is not.
    Music, Music, music!!!!

But I've been googling obsessively about this problem and I'm seeing things pointing in two different directions (I'd post links, but I'm a pathetic newbie with a post-count below the limit). On the one hand, I see a number of online vendors offering the headest I bought, the Jabra BT620s, as being compatible with the 8100. On the other, Jabra's documentation (which I've now poured over closely) clearly states that the device to which you pair the headset MUST support the A2DP Bluetooth protocol. I've now seen three or four references in blog posts around the net that the 8100 does NOT support A2DP. Is this a hardware protocol, or something that an upgrade could fix?

I know this is a minor quibble, but I'm so bummed, I want to roll around on the floor and cry and kick my arms and legs like a little baby.

PIN/ID
    3056468b

I have had many, many, many phones that supported mp3 and the manufacturer swore up and down the music will not play through the BT, but I am very successful with it.

The trick is in the settings of the song file. Let me explain:

Most phones will play mp3 in stereo format, while the BT headset will only play in mono format. Using a music converter, dbpoweramp being my favorite, reduce the quality of the song to 32kbps, set the frequency to 8000hz, and set the channel to mono.

Unfortunately I do not have a compatible BB, Nextel 7100i, so I cannot test this for you. But I am very happy to convert mp3's and let you test them. Or download dbpoweramp from the provided link and try your own.

The trick is in the settings of the song file. Let me explain:

Most phones will play mp3 in stereo format, while the BT headset will only play in mono format. Using a music converter, dbpowerampbeing my favorite, reduce the quality of the song to 32kbps, set the frequency to 8000hz, and set the channel to mono.

Unfortunately I do not have a compatible BB, Nextel 7100i, so I cannot test this for you. But I am very happy to convert mp3's and let you test them. Or download dbpoweramp from the provided link and try your own.
    I downloaded that program and tried converting a folder of MP3s. i was able to lower the frequency to 8000hz, and the mode to Mono, but I couldn't see how to lower the bit rate to lower than 128Kps. So I used those settings, converted the folder of MP3s, USB tranferred them to the media card in the Pearl and got the error message "That format is not supported" from the Pearl.

Waaaaaaahhhhhhh!

PIN/ID
    3056468b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Hmm, well the bitrate is a little slider. Try to lower that and see what results you get. I will get my hands on a pearl in a week or so and I can help then. I just changed the bitrate on mine to 128 and they won't play, but keep in mind I don't have the pear, so all of this may not work. Just a thought to help you out.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Hmm, well the bitrate is a little slider. Try to lower that and see what results you get. I will get my hands on a pearl in a week or so and I can help then. I just changed the bitrate on mine to 128 and they won't play, but keep in mind I don't have the pear, so all of this may not work. Just a thought to help you out.
    OK -- found the slider, reduced to 32Kps, converted and transfered to Pearl, with the following result:

-- File plays, but grabled.
    -- Headset: No joy.

Waaaaahhhhh!

PIN/ID
    3056468b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Sorry buddy, keep on playing with the settings, hopefully you will get it. Good luck.