I don't know if plazmic is just the most super lazy rim company on the ... 81xx Themes forum

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3

why fonts look like crap

Advertisement

I don't know if plazmic is just the most super lazy rim company on the planet.

But i think i figured out finally why fonts look screwed up and or garbled.

If you read the plazmic theme builder help guide located in the application it talks about how the plazmic theme builder/ reader is not compatiable with "truetype" fonts. It goes on to mention that the plazmic program actually converts truetype fonts to "bitmap images" to be displayed on the blackberry. It also does not tell us what type of fonts are natively supported on the blackberry. If we could figure out how to convert truetype fonts to native blackberry fonts then we would have clear looking fonts on all themes and problaby no spacing or clunky problems...

I was in the process of mimicing the cingular theme fonts, but i am still unable to get the fonts to look remotely as clean as cingular has it.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: why fonts look like crap

Krad, I think that most of the fonts used in the development of the carrier themes are the BB fonts, those that have BB or Xt in the symbol in front of the name.

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

You probably already know this, but make sure to antialias your font...

jhayman no está en línea Stack level 2

Some tips for fonts that may or may not be helpful.

Pick your fonts carefully. A font that looks good at 14 point, may not look good when rendered at 8 point. I believe Theme Builder gives font sizes in pixels - I don't have the conversion handy, but I'll see if I can figure it out.

Doing a stroke outline for a font can help set it off from the background. But, most truetype fonts look choppy with an outline. Consider choosing no colour for the stroke and using other techniques to set the font out from the background.

Consider using a BlackBerry font. They are designed for the BlackBerry. They are designed for a small screen size.

TrueType fonts are converted to bitmaps. One major disadvantage to that, is that they cannot anti-alias with respect to their background (because they don't know what their background will be).

The other thing to do, is to test your fonts on an actual device. The font rendering on Windows - even within the BlackBerry simulator - can look quite different than what it looks like on the device.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

jhayman,

Thanks for the explanation and the information about the font size in theme builder. I was wondering about that as they seemed very large font sized for the image they showed. But knowing that will really help in sizing them for my themes.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

COJO 24 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E89BE8

Well I would like to see if this "font conversion" thing is possible so keep trying and then tell us what you find out or a way to do this.

Thanks in advance,

COJO 24

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

COJO, have you checked my Shutters2 Theme in the 8100 themes (Not the OTA) thread? I Used a true type Font for the Home Page Fonts. You can see how at least one TT font looks on the screen shot.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

KJinTexas no está en línea Stack level 2

wow - jhayman, well said
    Thanks!

bbriand no está en línea Stack level 3

Adobe Fontographer is your friend...

I haven't used it in years but if I recall correctly it can convert TT fonts to standard fonts.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bbriand
    Adobe Fontographer is your friend...

I haven't used it in years but if I recall correctly it can convert TT fonts to standard fonts.

Bill
    But what is a standard font?

would that be a blackberry font? or an xfont?

Would it even be compatable?

From what i have been plugging around....

Plazmic will only take truetype fonts that are actually encoded as "opentype".

if you have a true "opentype" font with the .otf extension, theme builder won't see it. If you try and convert, you might get the font to show up in theme builder, but it will always look like "system" or a wire frame font. It is alittle frustrating. I spent a few hours trying to get something to work. Would love to have a truetype font converter to blackberry font.

I played with avenir 65 medium- (cingular logo, reuters font)

Quote Originally Posted by Krad
    But what is a standard font?
    I think they are more appropriately called fixed point fonts. I think they have a .FON extension.

Does Plazmic accept FON type fonts?

Bill
    Last edited by bbriand; 02-14-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbriand
    I think they are more appropriately called fixed point fonts. I think they have a .FON extension.

Does Plazmic accept FON type fonts?

Bill
    I don't have one to know.... i am assuming it only accepts the tt fonts that are actually opentype.

After doing some searching and reading it seems with Fontographer you are able to convert TT fonts to OT fonts. I'm not sure how crippled the demo version is (it mentions limited export and save functionality). You can find it here:
    http://www.fontlab.com/index.php

Also this link possibly describes a process to digitally sign a TT font to make it into an OT font (you might not need any Fontographer products):
    http://groups.msn.com/fontlab/genera...D_Message=6462
    (note the web addy in the first response to the thread).

If that doesn't work I have an old version of fontographer. I can install it to see if I can convert fonts. If so just let me know what fonts you want (or mail them to me).

Bill