I just purchased my very first BlackBerry [BB Pearl 8100]. I LOVE IT!!! But, I ... 81xx Themes forum

NYC BELLA 86 xO no está en línea Stack level 2

Someone Please Help Me!!!!

Advertisement

I just purchased my very first BlackBerry [BB Pearl 8100]. I LOVE IT!!! But, I cannot for the life of me figure out to to install themes!!! I've done everything possible to install them, but NOTHING is working. I'm losing my patience and faith that I made the right decision choosing the BB over keeping my boring and brick-like Sidekick 3. Seriously, can someone please walk me through this in words I can understand. I'm desperate!!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Re: Someone Please Help Me!!!!

Theme install help.

OTA (over-the-air)

The OTA install method is easy and fast and requires no PC or USB cables. You should use the Internet browser on your BlackBerry (not the WAP browser) to navigate to the web page containing the link for the installation.

You can type this into the browser on your device or paste it into an email you send to yourself and launch it from the email message. Select and click on the theme's name, then use the Get Link option from the pop-up menu. The next screen will prompt you to download the file or cancel. Some information about the file is also displayed. Select Download and the process will begin. On EDGE and EVDO networks, the download should take less than one minute. Upon completion, you will be prompted to reboot the device.
    If this is your first time installing a theme via OTA, I recommend you download the theme file first, do NOT reboot, then download the Theme Reader (same web page) and then reboot. After that you'll be ready to use the new theme.
    Note: 8100/Pearl device does NOT need the theme reader file.
    Note: 8300/Curve device does NOT need the theme reader file.
    Note: 8800 device does NOT need the theme reader file.

Install using your desktop manager.

1. Download the zip file to your PC:
    2. Unzip the file to a folder (name the folder).
    3. Connect your Blackberry to your computer.
    4. Open up Desktop Manager –> Application Loader –> Add.
    5. Find the file called “ThemeName.alx” and click “OK”.
    6. Find the file called "Plazmic_Theme_reader.alx" and click "ok".

Note: 8100/Pearl users omit step 6 above. The theme reader is NOT needed.
    After the installation finishes, you can now change your themes by going to Options (wrench icon) –> Theme.

Notes:
    Icons from any third party vendors will show as they normally do, without transparency.
    If you have already installed themes using plazmic_theme_reader.alx file in the past no need to re-load that file over again.
    Additionally after installing themes keep the theme folder in the same place or the desktop manager will produce a message saying it can't find any additional applications to install in the future if you attempt to install additional themes.

Phones do have memory limits, you may not be able to keep a never ending list of themes installed. If you find that a theme does not show up look at how many themes you have installed and consider removing one to make room for the newly install theme.

Hope this helps?

snoweey no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f389df

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~first it is important to note if the is for
    OTA: from the blackberry or
    .Zip: which is with the desktop manager

The easy way to tell is to look at the end of the link does it end with .jad(ota) or .zip(deskto manager) if its .jad simply click the link from your blackberry browser and it will ask you if you want to install the theme. When its finished pull the battery and when the pearl reboots go to options themes and your theme should show up if its a zip file then you must download it to you computer unzip the file then hook up your pearl using the data cable to your computer start the desktop manager and selct add remove programs then there should be an option to add program and it will ask you to point to the theme file then rest just involves clicking next.

I hope this info helps if you need more help do a search for 8100 themes here on pinstack not only will you find some awesome free themes but the first post usually has some really detailed indtructions to installing the themes

snoweey no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f389df

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~nm someone beat me while I was typing

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

Hey Bella... if you have a Data Plan with your BB (email and browser) you can download 4 free themes with the symple click of a trackball....
    Go to the options icon
    Scroll down to themes
    Press the menu button
    Select download themes.
    Accept the terms

After all of this you will see a few snap shots of these themes and can download them OTA straight to your phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn
    Hey Bella... if you have a Data Plan with your BB (email and browser) you can download 4 free themes with the symple click of a trackball....
    Go to the options icon
    Scroll down to themes
    Press the menu button
    Select download themes.
    Accept the terms

After all of this you will see a few snap shots of these themes and can download them OTA straight to your phone!
    Yea, I figured that out and downloaded one, but I really like one of the ones I found on the forums. I'm STILL figuring it out though. It's really frusterating when you haven't a clue as to what you're doing!! Thanks for everyone's replies. Please forgive me if I'll repost with more questions because I'm just about ready to pull my hair out!

Thank you guys SO much!! I FINALLY figured out the OTA themes and have downloaded one and it actually works! But I still can't figure out the zip file themes. I download them to my computer in its old file, plug in my BB to my computer, right click on the theme I want and click 'extract all'. Then, I choose the 'removable disk' drive, 'BlackBerry' and then -- CONFUSED as to where I put it. Is this all wrong? If anyone can please help me with this, I'll be forever grateful!!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

post #2 above.